Acceleration, normal vs sport plus

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
If you use the car as a daily driver in normal mode, it probably needs time to learn a more aggressive driving style. If there are any experts on what it takes for the car (ECU and transmission control) to learn, please let us know. (My 2015 is a manual, so there's nothing for the transmission to learn, other than to get a better driver!)
Sponsored

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
PP1 & PP2 have the same torque & the same gear ratio. The redline is the same on all 18-20 Mustangs regardless of package.
Beg to differ. The PP1 (air filter change) does nothing for the programming while the PP2 includes CAI, throttle body, and programming. They are significantly different and you can feel the difference the first time you let the clutch out with PP2, even at low speeds. (Mine was installed at the Ford Nationals and all I did was drive back to my space on the show field but even that short distance I could feel the difference in the throttle response and low end torque. Eventually I took it back out to Summit and the difference in low end torque took me into the grass even with traction control still on!)

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
PP1 & PP2 have the same torque & the same gear ratio. The redline is the same on all 18-20 Mustangs regardless of package.
I think he was referencing the Power Pack not the Performance Pack: MY 15-17 have 3 levels of Power Pack available, however the 18+ has only 1 level that was just released in the past week or so.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Beg to differ. The PP1 (air filter change) does nothing for the programming while the PP2 includes CAI, throttle body, and programming. They are significantly different and you can feel the difference the first time you let the clutch out with PP2, even at low speeds. (Mine was installed at the Ford Nationals and all I did was drive back to my space on the show field but even that short distance I could feel the difference in the throttle response and low end torque. Eventually I took it back out to Summit and the difference in low end torque took me into the grass even with traction control still on!)
The 18+ Mustang only has one Power Pack available. Also, make note that it’s best to clarify what you’re talking about with using acronyms as “PP1” & “PP2” are most commonly associated with the Performance Packs, not the Ford Performance Power Packs. :)

bdm219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 401A, AE, B&O
I think he was referencing the Power Pack not the Performance Pack: MY 15-17 have 3 levels of Power Pack available, however the 18+ has only 1 level that was just released in the past week or so.
You’re absolutely correct, my mistake. We were talking two completely different things.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense right there.
I agree it does, like it the best, response is most definently crisper , snapper shifts.

:>"I should’ve gotten a manual too, one dealer had a lot of them however I found a better deal on an auto" <

Confucius say
The taste of a good deal in short live, the regret is forever.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I was referring to the Power Packs from Ford Performance. Sorry for any confusion.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Yes, I was referring to the Power Packs from Ford Performance. Sorry for any confusion.
Yeah I notice a difference when I got the Ford Performance Pack 2, mainly in throttle response. That it is from mostly the Ford tune more so than the intake and throttle body from what I heard. The only reason I got it was it was the only thing that would of passed inspection in Commiefornia other wise I would of got the JLT or the PMAS CAI.

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
I've only had mine to the drag strip for one day and about a dozen passes last year. The best runs of the day were in normal mode and avoiding the water box. Like I said earlier, Sport and Track mode were slower by a little over 0.10 of a second, Bone stock...with usual tire pressure, taking out the air cleaner element, icing the intake...it ran from 12.30 in the beginning to 11.93 at the end of the day. The trap speeds were 114 to 117 at the end of the day. It took a long time to figure out what RPM to launch. This is not totally conclusive, but close enough for me. I will wait, but intend to get the FP Power Package that just came out before the drag strips open again, then we'll see if I can get into the mid 11's...maybe.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I've only had mine to the drag strip for one day and about a dozen passes last year. The best runs of the day were in normal mode and avoiding the water box. Like I said earlier, Sport and Track mode were slower by a little over 0.10 of a second, Bone stock...with usual tire pressure, taking out the air cleaner element, icing the intake...it ran from 12.30 in the beginning to 11.93 at the end of the day. The trap speeds were 114 to 117 at the end of the day. It took a long time to figure out what RPM to launch. This is not totally conclusive, but close enough for me. I will wait, but intend to get the FP Power Package that just came out before the drag strips open again, then we'll see if I can get into the mid 11's...maybe.
Would you attribute the slower times (although minuscule) in sport/track mode due to traction? Or something else?

Sponsored

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
Would you attribute the slower times (although minuscule) in sport/track mode due to traction? Or something else?
Although the time difference was small, it could mean the difference in who crosses the lights first. For the fastest time of the day, I was using the good ole tried and true foot brake technique, and just as the car started to push through the foot brake, I used the e brake. Having drag raced NHRA in many different classes, and most of the 40 years was spent with automatics, my first thought was the car could sure use a little looser converter as the 60' times started around 2.1, and when I finished they were down to 1.85. Mind you, this was all on Michelin Pilot's, which are a pretty sticky tire to begin with, and I was down to 25psi. One other thing, the car is bone stock, with the exception of jacking rails I bolted in, but doubt that makes any difference. Anyway, that's what my finely tuned butt thinks.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Although the time difference was small, it could mean the difference in who crosses the lights first. For the fastest time of the day, I was using the good ole tried and true foot brake technique, and just as the car started to push through the foot brake, I used the e brake. Having drag raced NHRA in many different classes, and most of the 40 years was spent with automatics, my first thought was the car could sure use a little looser converter as the 60' times started around 2.1, and when I finished they were down to 1.85. Mind you, this was all on Michelin Pilot's, which are a pretty sticky tire to begin with, and I was down to 25psi. One other thing, the car is bone stock, with the exception of jacking rails I bolted in, but doubt that makes any difference. Anyway, that's what my finely tuned butt thinks.
I guess it is probably fair to say that the different modes don't make a huge difference (if any at all) when it comes to times. They certainly feel different and are a lot of fun to play with. Your times appear consistent with stock 1/4 mile reports from other members. Which quite honestly, is freaking impressive if you ask me. It even seems that you might be able to squeeze an 11.8 out of it.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Yes, but the '18-'20 PP2 (package) has 26.2" stock rear tires versus 27.7" stock rears on the PP1 which gives the PP2 a little advantage in effective gear ratio. Ask me how I know if it makes any difference (at least M6 vs M6).

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
I guess it is probably fair to say that the different modes don't make a huge difference (if any at all) when it comes to times. They certainly feel different and are a lot of fun to play with. Your times appear consistent with stock 1/4 mile reports from other members. Which quite honestly, is freaking impressive if you ask me. It even seems that you might be able to squeeze an 11.8 out of it.
I agree, butt feel can sometimes be deceiving. I know the trans shifts a little firmer, although in sport and track mode I don't think it's any faster, and in track mode it didn't seem to be in the sweet spot, depending on wheel spin, even with the TC off. It's interesting that I did two tests without the filter element in the air box, and although it's not conclusive, it appeared to be 0.05 or so faster, and seemed to pull harder on the top end. I'm also not sure you'd really need slicks until you get into the low 11's, and there was a hint of wheel on the fastest run, although not enough to worry about, at least for me. All of the testing was done at sea level and the temperature was in the 70's to high 80's as the day progressed. I may have been able to squeeze 11.8's, although with the new FPP that just came out, I would think I can maybe get to the low 11's, although I think at that point a set of stronger half shafts and some way of stabilize the IRS would be needed...I'm just not wanting to start modifying the car because it's nice the way it is,
My Mustang has less than 4000 miles, although I'm getting ready to bring it from Oregon down to Arizona next month, and can't wait for the 1300 mile road trip. We'll see if it's as comfortable to drive as my Mini Cooper Clubman S, which is one of the most comfortable cars I've owned to drive 1300 miles in two days without being totally worn out at the end of each day.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
It is hard if not almost impossible to run much better stock/drag mode stock tire than 11.8-11.9. Drag mode with traction will be the fastest/quickest. My Sport mode (E tuned) is drag mode in automatic. Drive shifts around 7100 and Sport 7500 rpms. I had to pedal it a tad on the first couple shifts last time at track, but still managed 121 mph trap @ 1500’ elevation full weight pp1 car stock tires.
Sponsored