Sponsored

Any downside to water injection?

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sorry to revive this old thread but i figure this might be the best place to ask. I'm finally about to start the meth injection kit install and i have one question that i haven't seen anyone ask.

How far should the nozzle be installed into the intake piping?
This seems like it could make a big difference depending on how its done.

Same goes for the iat sensor... i dont really feel comfortable tapping the IM so i was going to put the sensor at the very end of the inlet pipe, but i'm not sure how far it should be installed into the pipe either.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!!
IM? Intake manifold? What kid of SC do you have
Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Sorry to revive this old thread but i figure this might be the best place to ask. I'm finally about to start the meth injection kit install and i have one question that i haven't seen anyone ask.

Same goes for the iat sensor... i dont really feel comfortable tapping the IM so i was going to put the sensor at the very end of the inlet pipe, but i'm not sure how far it should be installed into the pipe either.

Nozzle should see about flush with inside of pipe. Go to someone knowledgeable and they’ll tap the manifold.
B2C24399-80FD-4677-9D25-0742372AD26E.jpeg

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X

Ideally the nozzle should be flush with the intake piping. Depending on the size of the bung it may not be possible, but the closer the better.

IAT sensor is fine in the pipe. Just install it far enough in that the element is in the air stream.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Some bungs are thick. I took my nozzle to welder and told him to grind it down so the nozzle was flush with inside of piping once threaded in.

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
Thanks everyone for the help! That’s what I was looking for!
Do you guys feel that it is really necessary to get the IAT sensor in the manifold? Or can I just put it in the inlet pipe as close to the throttlebody as possible.

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Do you guys feel that it is really necessary to get the IAT sensor in the manifold? Or can I just put it in the inlet pipe as close to the throttlebody as possible.
I’d put it in the manifold. Putting it close to TB means putting a hole in the soft rubber elbow. I wouldn’t want to jeopardize the integrity of the rubber

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Theres not much difference IMO. At WOT the temps in the pipe and manifold will be the same. At cruise manifold temps will be higher than the pipe because theres not as much airflow, but IATs when cruising arent very important to measure anyway. I put it in the pipe because it was easier and just as effective for WOT.

Definitely agree with Solarflare though don't put it in the rubber, thats just asking for problems. If you dont put it in the manifold put it in the metal pipe before the rubber.

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I’d put it in the manifold. Putting it close to TB means putting a hole in the soft rubber elbow. I wouldn’t want to jeopardize the integrity of the rubber
That makes sense.... what if I were to put it at the end of the steel inlet pipe right before the silicon elbow? Not ideal I know but it would show a good portion of the cooling I would think...no?

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Theres not much difference IMO. At WOT the temps in the pipe and manifold will be the same. At cruise manifold temps will be higher than the pipe because theres not as much airflow, but IATs when cruising arent very important to measure anyway. I put it in the pipe because it was easier and just as effective for WOT.

Definitely agree with Solarflare though don't put it in the rubber, thats just asking for problems. If you dont put it in the manifold put it in the metal pipe before the rubber.
Perfect... that’s just what I was thinking

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
That makes sense.... what if I were to put it at the end of the steel inlet pipe right before the silicon elbow? Not ideal I know but it would show a good portion of the cooling I would think...no?
Would be convenient but idk if theres enough distance for dissipation and cooling.

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I’m running the 18’ mani...
I wonder if there would be a way to use the unused pcv inlet to mount the iat sensor...Has any one done this?
Sponsored