Sponsored

Suspension Malfunction Error after Spring Install, Dealer fix only ?

OP
OP
89strok

89strok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 foxbody 347, 17' GT350 Avalanche(SOLD), 2019 GT350R KR711
@89strok , how are you making out? Fixed? If so, what was it? Did you have the go to the dealer?
I ordered an obd hookup so I can use forscan, waiting on that to come in so I can pinpoint the issue. The only thing that caught my eye was one of the rear ride height sensors seems to be off pivot point, maybe I damaged it while doing the springs but I dont see how I would come into contact with them at all or even cause it to bend
20200423_113442.jpg

OP
OP
89strok

89strok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know I raised the calibration issue, but lots of people change their springs and don't have this problem, so it's probably something else like a loose connector or a pinched wire. You say you unplugged the sensors - there are four, one at each wheel, mounted between the lower control arms and the chassis. You unplugged and dismounted those, correct? And then re-installed them the right way around, correct? Also, you had to unplug the struts and shocks from the system. I'd go back over the wiring carefully and make sure all the connectors are properly seated. Some, like the rear shock connectors, can be challenging to unplug and replug. If any connector is loose, you'll get the error you're getting. Forscan (I think) can tell you where to look if it's a wiring problem. It can't help with calibration, afaik.

Thanks for the info ! Yes I unplugged the top connectors on each strut/shock and also the lower ride height sensors on each control arm. I did not dismount the sensors as I dont believe I was in the way or effecting them at all, could this be an issue ? The sensors themselves stay mounted in one position and do not move so it shouldn't matter correct ?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I ordered an obd hookup so I can use forscan, waiting on that to come in so I can pinpoint the issue. The only thing that caught my eye was one of the rear ride height sensors seems to be off pivot point, maybe I damaged it while doing the springs but I dont see how I would come into contact with them at all or even cause it to bend
20200423_113442.jpg
Can you get that sensor to seat correctly? I guess it wouldn’t matter how it happened but it seems to me like an obvious culprit at this time...

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Thanks for the info ! Yes I unplugged the top connectors on each strut/shock and also the lower ride height sensors on each control arm. I did not dismount the sensors as I dont believe I was in the way or effecting them at all, could this be an issue ? The sensors themselves stay mounted in one position and do not move so it shouldn't matter correct ?
When I talked about "disconnecting" the sensors, I actually meant the mechanical connecting rod that goes to the LCA, not the electrical connector, although there are some circumstances where it's smart to remove the sensor entirely to prevent damage. Sorry if my choice of words was confusing.

If you didn't disconnect the rods, there's an excellent chance that the guts of one or more sensors is mangled trash. If you did disconnect the rods, the actual settings will be off by a bit because the little brackets don't go back exactly where they came from. The recalibration procedure is how the VDM relearns which sensor outputs map to the car at normal ride height, etc.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
You don't even touch the rear sensors when you replacing springs. Why did you remove it in the first place?

OP
OP
89strok

89strok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't remove any of the sensors, I unplugged them that was all. That is why I'm confused on why they themselves would have to be removed/taken apart when their not physically in the way or effected. But @JAJ I do see what you're saying about disconnecting pivot arms on them, that I did not do

OP
OP
89strok

89strok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you get that sensor to seat correctly? I guess it wouldn’t matter how it happened but it seems to me like an obvious culprit at this time...
The arm is seated fine, and everything is in tact, it just seems like the angle of pivot is off, BUT unless the control arm was physically removed while the rods were still attached, theres no way to bend that rods like that out of alignment because the whole unit is one piece

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
This how mine is with the car on the ground. Picture was taken from behind the exhaust on driver side.

Check if the harness on the rear shocks did not get pinched on the 18mm shock mount bolt. I managed to do that once and had to fix my wires.
IMG_20200425_153733351.jpg

Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
The front you definitely have to remove the sensor or unbolt it from one end to free it.

OP
OP
89strok

89strok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This how mine is with the car on the ground. Picture was taken from behind the exhaust on driver side.

Check if the harness on the rear shocks did not get pinched on the 18mm shock mount bolt. I managed to do that once and had to fix my wires.
IMG_20200425_153733351.jpg

Looks identical to mine, so it's just the angle of the arms then. I'll recheck the wiring

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
You can go to Walmart and buy the tool in the link I posted and check for code and reset your height sensor. It will give you 1 free manufacturer to choose so you will be able to diagnose your car completely with bunch of extras. Non of that generic code crap. It is a very good tool.

You can always return it if you don't like it.

OP
OP
89strok

89strok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can go to Walmart and buy the tool in the link I posted and check for code and reset your height sensor. It will give you 1 free manufacturer to choose so you will be able to diagnose your car completely with bunch of extras. Non of that generic code crap. It is a very good tool.

You can always return it if you don't like it.
Awesome thanks! I'll definitely try that, its worth it

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Yeah better than the dealer . They will most likely won't warranty it because is aftermarket springs even it is frpp and you installed it. Plus you don't want the techs messing around with your car. Something will get damaged/scratched.
Sponsored