Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yikes, good to know. 91 minimum
Nate, he was beating on the car. If you're going to "hoon" use premium. For easy local or highway driving 87 is fine. I use 93 because I want to not because I have to.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Nate, he was beating on the car.
Lol.. so your saying nobody running 87 does some hooning? Come on now. He wasn't beating on it either, just screwing around. High load, lowish rpm is the king daddy of knock zone.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Lol.. so your saying nobody running 87 does some hooning? Come on now. He wasn't beating on it either, just screwing around. High load, lowish rpm is the king daddy of knock zone.
I did not mean to imply that. Even a few WOT’s on 87 can damage the engine especially under the conditions you mention. So if you are going to drive your car that way be smart and do not use 87. 87 is safe to use under the right conditions. Know your car and know how you drive. Simple.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

GTFURY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, PP1, 401A, A10, Magneride
How beneficial would a 93 tune be if my only mods are a drop in AEM filter an and H-pipe? Wondering if there's any seat of the pants improvement to be had since I only run 93 anyway.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
How beneficial would a 93 tune be if my only mods are a drop in AEM filter an and H-pipe? Wondering if there's any seat of the pants improvement to be had since I only run 93 anyway.
On the 18+ cars it is not as much as is was with the 15-17 cars were. Most recommend going to E85 if you have it available. That's a kick in the pants.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
How beneficial would a 93 tune be if my only mods are a drop in AEM filter an and H-pipe?
My H-pipe & drop in K&N drop in was a bona fide .15-.20 seconds quicker. Ford uses adaptive logic, basically the widebands learn what fuel you're running. More octane, more power. That's for GAS ONLY with blends up to E15. Plus remember, FORD says 91 premium for rated horsepower. So mine was rated at 435hp with / 91 octane. I run 93, adaptive logic learns, now I'm making more than the rated 435 hp.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I have used 87 a few times. Using it now because the car stays parked a lot with this virus issue and I don’t drive far or hard. So I save the extra money.
If I plan to open it up I’m going to switch back to 93. However the 87 for normal commuting I think is just fine.

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
I literally go out to "hoon" right now with all this isolation crap. I used 87 all winter as I hoon less in the snow. Now that it's getting warmer though..... I noticed my cats smelling too after some rips on 87, with the higher temps that makes sense? Well it's still under warranty at least but no running issues thus far. I will be putting 91 in now for sure from now on.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I wouldn't. Here's a result of running 87 octane while hooning on the street. Warmer ambient temps, higher IAT's, this is usually the end result on 'but it can run on 87' engines. Broke from knock, melted from higher combustion temp 87. We took his engine apart cause of oil fouling 2 plugs. He didn't here a damn thing, and no indication other then the fouling.
c_oc=AQmLQ_wHRImkGSQw__MWQtGMYYOOdN9BKLxgkoOZtfdrtsv3YkRlMA-loP-miztC830&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-1.jpg
Mustave hooned hard! Also how long was he running 87 in the mf’er

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Mustave hooned hard! Also how long was he running 87 in the mf’er
All spring (coolish temps). Didn't hoon hard, I think he only did one WOT run for a few seconds. That's all it took.
So I save the extra money.
For me the difference between 87 and 94 is $23 a month. And that I don't understand. You spend all kinds of money on the car, then cheap out over what? $20-$30 difference a month? I mean, are they working part time at some fast food joint making barely enough for payments? If that's the case, you shoulda bought a $16K toyota with $150 monthly payments.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
All spring (coolish temps). Didn't hoon hard, I think he only did one WOT run for a few seconds. That's all it took.

For me the difference between 87 and 94 is $23 a month. And that I don't understand. You spend all kinds of money on the car, then cheap out over what? $20-$30 difference a month? I mean, are they working part time at some fast food joint making barely enough for payments? If that's the case, you shoulda bought a $16K toyota with $150 monthly payments.

Lol I’ve been doing it lately because the cause has been sitting. What I use to burn in a week I burn in 2 weeks now. So now I’m saving considerably more. Trust when I’m ready to push it 93 all the way.

Cheatham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, Iconic Silver, Perf.Pack. 6 spd
For years it has been a rule that 10.5 compression was max on 93, now days as we know it's 12.0 compression or turbos, and 93 octane and all is well, with compression this high these engines ought to be treated more like a race engine with quality fuel, sure you can put 87-93 in any gasoline racing engine and it will run for a little while but not long, these engines retards timing and with that comes very high internal and exhaust temps . We buy these cars knowing to run highest octane available and should stick with it

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
I slightly worried now knowing how many wot blasts I've done on 87 :facepalm:

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I literally go out to "hoon" right now with all this isolation crap. I used 87 all winter as I hoon less in the snow. Now that it's getting warmer though..... I noticed my cats smelling too after some rips on 87, with the higher temps that makes sense? Well it's still under warranty at least but no running issues thus far. I will be putting 91 in now for sure from now on.
I go out to hoon too for sanity sake. The cats smelling is pretty common mine does that when I hit 7k or so and I only use premium. I asked about it and the dealer mentioned there is a lot of sulfur in fuels now but no other car I've owned smells weird when hooned so who knows.......
Sponsored