2019+ Voodoo Changes

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
I had my engine replaced on my 2017 GT350 in December of last year and took the cover off and says 5.2 GT350R, so I thinking that’s the R motor? lol
Yes, it is. The second line should say, "KA 555 AA", right? That's the K-block, 2019, Gen II (some call them), GT350R motor. Placed in both the GT350 and GT350R for the 2019 MY. Also the same block as the 2020 GT500.
Sponsored

GT350RHE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R Heritage Edition LR002
Its just hard to believe that Ford made "improvements" to the block and there is no power changes? Hard to believe any changes to the block would result in the same numbers more OR less? I have to believe they might make more power? It would be interesting if someone had a true (non replacement engine), pre 2019 gt350 and a 2019-2020 GT350 on the same dyno on the same day both stock. Don't you think? Any clubs having a dyno day?

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Its just hard to believe that Ford made "improvements" to the block and there is no power changes? Hard to believe any changes to the block would result in the same numbers more OR less? I have to believe they might make more power? It would be interesting if someone had a true (non replacement engine), pre 2019 gt350 and a 2019-2020 GT350 on the same dyno on the same day both stock. Don't you think? Any clubs having a dyno day?
It's hard to believe that Ford never announced any "improvements" to the engine to begin with

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
It's hard to believe that Ford never announced any "improvements" to the engine to begin with
If they did, would the 15/19 owners bitch?

Sponsored

GT350RHE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe they wanted it to be under the radar and by announcing a change may spark questions as to why? Were there problems that needed to be addressed? Easier to say nothing? Don’t want the very question that I have asked? How could any block changes produce the exact same power/torque numbers?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Depends on the owner. But, aren't they bitching regardless :)
I must have missed the memo - I have a 2016 - what is it I'm supposed to be bitching about?

The "improved engine" meme is really fun to watch, because it's just not true. The later engines make the same power as the earlier ones because the stuff, like cams, intake, valves, exhaust, etc, are all the same. It just weighs 12 pounds more because Ford decided to save a few pennies by side-spec'ing the GT500 block.

So, same power, heavier car. Again, remind me what I'm supposed to be bitching about.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I must have missed the memo - I have a 2016 - what is it I'm supposed to be bitching about?

The "improved engine" meme is really fun to watch, because it's just not true. The later engines make the same power as the earlier ones because the stuff, like cams, intake, valves, exhaust, etc, are all the same. It just weighs 12 pounds more because Ford decided to save a few pennies by side-spec'ing the GT500 block.

So, same power, heavier car. Again, remind me what I'm supposed to be bitching about.
That's exactly my point - there's nothing to bitch about.

GT350RHE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never implied there is anything to bitch about but others may have. I owned a 2016 R and am waiting for my 2020 R to get here. I simply asked if there were revisions which there were, has anyone done a good side by side Dyno comparison to see what kind of power differences if any that there are? Same dyno, same conditions?
Has Ford officially said the new cars are heavier? I don’t know? It is just hard to believe they are identical and I was just asking. Didn’t mean to get anyone worked up over the question.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Its just hard to believe that Ford made "improvements" to the block and there is no power changes? Hard to believe any changes to the block would result in the same numbers more OR less?
huh? The block serves no purpose at all power-wise. The head, sure. Maybe they beefed up some journals or made the threaded studs deeper or supported the cylinder better. Or subtly changed oil routing or diameter of orifice, or cleaned up the curvature of a port. None that has any influence on power production - but rather longevity and able to better withstand forces. 12lb more metal also means better damping of secondary vibrations which is the Achilles heel of the GT350.

Sponsored

GT350RHE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
huh? The block serves no purpose at all power-wise. The head, sure. Maybe they beefed up some journals or made the threaded studs deeper or supported the cylinder better. Or subtly changed oil routing or diameter of orifice, or cleaned up the curvature of a port. None that has any influence on power production - but rather longevity and able to better withstand forces. 12lb more metal also means better damping of secondary vibrations which is the Achilles heel of the GT350.
I’m still suspicious I guess due to the Magazine dyno comparison. Are we absolutely sure there are no other changes? Not meant to be an extended discussion but I always remain suspicious of company’s making any changes and all published specs not changing. Especially when there is a long history of car manufacturer power numbers being off dating back longer than many if not all on this forum have been alive.

I know there are always clubs who have dyno days and was simply curious if anyone has done a real world comparison?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
curious if anyone has done a real world comparison?
it's pretty damn difficult to do useful comparisons when dyno runs themselves are not repeatable.

Especially when there is a long history of car manufacturer power numbers being off dating back
that nonsense stopped 40 years ago. But even if say the 'gen 2' engine made 2 HP more. That's less than the error bars so there's no point in publishing revised figures.

GT350RHE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You know what, this is the very reason forums often suck, everyone is an expert at nothing. I ask a simple question asking if anyone has done a comparison of the 19/20 cars versus earlier and every “know it all” comes out of the wood works with their panties in a wad, all engineering experts without truly knowing a damn thing about what Ford has really done or any about their testing. Simple question, on the same “unreliable” dyno, same day, same atmospheric conditions, car comparison, close enough, what are the results? Is there a difference? For those offended, sorry that was not the intent. I love cars and asked a simple question in that spirit. Chill out guys, we are all impressed with your knowledge but my original question has not been answered so just say, “good question, I just don’t know for sure, I have not tried that.” Go do a burnout or something to relieve your anxiety!

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
You know what, this is the very reason forums often suck, everyone is an expert at nothing. I ask a simple question asking if anyone has done a comparison of the 19/20 cars versus earlier and every “know it all” comes out of the wood works with their panties in a wad, all engineering experts without truly knowing a damn thing about what Ford has really done or any about their testing. Simple question, on the same “unreliable” dyno, same day, same atmospheric conditions, car comparison, close enough, what are the results? Is there a difference? For those offended, sorry that was not the intent. I love cars and asked a simple question in that spirit. Chill out guys, we are all impressed with your knowledge but my original question has not been answered so just say, “good question, I just don’t know for sure, I have not tried that.” Go do a burnout or something to relieve your anxiety!
I'm no expert so let me say that upfront. But maybe 6 months ago I emailed Fathouse Fabs that has a good reputation for. mods like turbos, superchargers, they will tend to do a before and after test on their own in house dynos. They had said thus far the results have been more or less the same between all years

From my stand point the motor 2019 and up should be a better in several ways, but it seems that power wasn't one of those. However for us considering boost, those changes they did do are really good ones

GT350RHE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm no expert so let me say that upfront. But maybe 6 months ago I emailed Fathouse Fabs that has a good reputation for. mods like turbos, superchargers, they will tend to do a before and after test on their own in house dynos. They had said thus far the results have been more or less the same between all years

From my stand point the motor 2019 and up should be a better in several ways, but it seems that power wasn't one of those. However for us considering boost, those changes they did do are really good ones
Great response, thank you, great information!
Sponsored