Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Just want to share what happened to me this morning on the way back home, 2 different drivers flashed their lights at me about a 1/2 mile from my turn off, where sometimes a cop sits, and in this case was, they were apparently signalling to me to watch out for the cops presence up ahead.

Been driving my Stang around Florida now for about 4 years and this has never happened to me before, I wasn't going that fast and saw the cop in plenty of time to slow down anyway but a nice gesture for sure by two different fellow drivers, a woman in a Ford SUV and a guy on a motorcycle.

Has the virus turned people into nicer drivers?, lol, anyone else experience this kind gesture as well?

Terry
Sponsored

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
i always try to warn other drivers of police ahead, but also have to be wary and make sure there does not happen to be another police officer in front of you to see it happen, or signs ahead of you to where a flash or two of your lights may reflect off of, for the police officer behind you to see you flashing your lights.

i dont think its enough to get a ticket for, but its surely enough to get pulled over for, guess how i know..

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Waze has been pretty useful for me when it comes to popo warnings. But yeah I'll flash folks when I see the popo using laser/radar. Not when they are clearly just sitting there picking their noses doing paperwork or already have someone pulled over.

Ian94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Magnetic Metallic
I've warned people for the last 35 plus years, when I pass a cop or state patrol sitting in the median, I am careful now to watch and make sure there isn't one up ahead, if nothing else, I just don't want the hassle of being pulled over for anything. I usually get a hand wave back from on coming traffic as a thank you and I'll do the same if I'm being warned.

-Ian

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
The flash used to be standard practice to warn fellow drivers of police up ahead. Now everyone is too worried about updating their Facebook status while driving to care about others.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I always use it if I see deer, but I feel like most people just think you're flashing them to be an asshole because you think their lights are too bright or whatever.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
i always try to warn other drivers of police ahead, but also have to be wary and make sure there does not happen to be another police officer in front of you to see it happen, or signs ahead of you to where a flash or two of your lights may reflect off of, for the police officer behind you to see you flashing your lights.

i dont think its enough to get a ticket for, but its surely enough to get pulled over for, guess how i know..

Buddy of mine got a ticket for flashing, hired a layer, didn't even go to court, they got fully reimbursed for the ticket, court, legal fees.

That's a f***ing bullshit ticket (and cause for a stop).

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I always flash vigorously to warn others of cops. That said , Waze is a must.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
There has already been a court case in Florida that you can't be ticketed for flashing your lights . Fight the ticket if you get one.

On a different note, there was a story of a boy sitting on the side of the road with a large cardboard sign saying "Speed Trap Ahead". 1/4 mile after the speed trap was another boy sitting on side of the road with another cardboard sign, saying: "Tips".

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
I suspect you may be seeing it because there are less cars on the roads. I am more likely to flash oncoming traffic if they are only a few cars versus if its heavy traffic....But having said that, you don't see it as much these days as 10-20 years ago.....

Last edited:

Sponsored

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
you don;\'t see it as much these days as 10-20 years ago.....
I turn my lights off and on or flash but you are correct, I seldom see it anymore. I always do. I also don't see it as solely a money maker, its for safety. Most of us may think we are great drivers but without the possibilty of a speeding ticket you would have way too many people driving 99mph while still having some people drive 54 mph. That's another danger - the huge delta in speed.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So what if they see you? Assholes are sitting around trying make money for the margarita fund, not out helping people. They can pull you over to be a dick, but they can't write a ticket. I've done the double tap signal and had a cop in the line of traffic turns his lights on at me. I just did the ghetto wigwag and kept driving. It's really messed up that there's this much ill will and distrust for law enforcement, but they made that bed all by themselves.
In theory speed limits are for safety. So really police aren't being jerks. They are just enforcing the law and doing their jobs.

Having said that, I'm a giant hypocrite because I have warned people of cops and speed traps by turning my lights on and off.

I always use it if I see deer, but I feel like most people just think you're flashing them to be an asshole because you think their lights are too bright or whatever.
I warn people of deer in the same way, but I always turn my lights off and on. I don't flash brights at people unless I think they have their brights on.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Ok, people drive with their brights on and they don't care, I'm thinking they feel it's their "right". They will leave them on behind you, driving, beside you, in the rain and coming at you. You can flash them all you want, they are not dimming them.

Proper technique for deer on divide highway for vehicle behind you, bright lights, turn signal for 3 flashes toward the deer. Flashing lights will confuse wildlife. Especially the young ones. Also 4 ways and maintain speed. If deer are grazing on you will cause them to be spooked.

Normally I don't pay to much attention to flashing lights since they are use for lane changes.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Quotas are for salespeople, not public safety.
I agree, and the speed limits on major highways haven't been increased with our vehicles' capabilities either. I think slow speed limits in residential areas make sense, but the highway speed limits are lower than necessary for safety.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
On one of the Clarkson/Hammond/May Top Gear episodes, they were discussing the reasoning behind the speed limits on motorways in the UK. Basically it boiled down to the average time & distance of a 50-0 stop. Clarkson commented that the Aston Martin being showcased that day should be allowed to do 100 because it is capable, even factoring in human reaction time, of stopping from that speed faster than most cars can stop from 50.
Newer cars can stop really quickly. ABS has been around a really long time, so long that in most areas of the country you are unlikely to come across a non-ABS car on the road. Tires are also a lot better. The current speed limits were imposed a long time ago.

When I drive through ND on the interstate and the speed limit is 75, I've noticed quite a few people with older cars or lower performing cars choose not to drive 75-80 mph, even though they could get away with it from a legal standpoint. Instead they might drive 65-70, which is easier on their car. Of course, people in ND are more sensible than some other areas of the country - and there's not a lot of traffic there.
Sponsored