Mgw vs blowfish

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Ford Flex Ecoboost, 2013 Focus ST, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
I'm looking for advice. 2018 mt6. I've driven manuals for 20 years and I've never had this much difficulty shifting a car. I grind nearly every time from 1-2 and 2-3 when giving it the business over 6k. If I shift slowly I never grind. A friend who is a great driver has the same problems with my car.

I have tried no spring, steeds spring, factory spring. Syncroshift, whiteline trans insert, boomba shifter bracket. Boomba bracket was the biggest change. But still slight grind on fast shifts over 6k.

I wapped my interror plastic parts on leather, and needed to silicone the chrome shifter bezel in place. While I'm sure I can remove the stock shifter, it will be some added work to change to mgw.

So does anyone have recommendations? Blowfish, mgw, drivers school, get an a10?
Thanks
Sponsored

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
following...i'm researching at getting a shifter as well. MGW vs Steeda Tri-ax. I have the Steeda clutch spring and BG trans fluid which helped a little bit

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
I have a 16 w/ the mt82 and I can only share my results, I don’t have any experience with other solutions to compare. I was getting a lot of “nibbling” from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. It was worse when cold, got better as the trans warmed up, but never fully went away when warm. I filled the trans will Motul DCTF and installed the Blowfish bracket at the same time. The bracket is great quality and I love the reduction of slop it provided. It’s my opinion that the reduction of “nibble” came from the fluid though. It progressively improved as I drove and is basically gone now. I still get some from 1 to 2 occasionally but it’s greatly improved. I love the combo overall and have been really enjoying the new feel of shifting. Not apples to apples but hope that helps.

JP Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP Knight
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
I love my MGW. Precise shifts almost every time (well I think, the other stuff I added help supports MGW of what its meant to do.) ! I've always gone with MGW for its quality. It makes the car so much more fun to drive, so I cant really speak for others. I drove my Brother's stock 18 mustang manual and I was like ewwwwwhhh :facepalm: almost threw up. shitty LOL.

Heres what I have:

MGW RACE Spec
BG syncro 2 trans fluid
Steeda Spring
Steel braided clutch line
Transmission insert bushing

Sponsored

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
I love my MGW. Precise shifts almost every time (well I think, the other stuff I added help supports MGW of what its meant to do.) ! I've always gone with MGW for its quality. It makes the car so much more fun to drive, so I cant really speak for others. I drove my Brother's stock 18 mustang manual and I was like ewwwwwhhh :facepalm: almost threw up. shitty LOL.

Heres what I have:

MGW RACE Spec
BG syncro 2 trans fluid
Steeda Spring
Steel braided clutch line
Transmission insert bushing
Do you have any added NVH after going with MGW? Also, i've seen MGW has a different reverse lockout mechanism compared to stock, does it work well ?
And which transmission insert bushing did you go with ?

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
On my 2013, the mgw was noticeably better than blowfish bracket. It changes out lower shifter and linkage which is a big problem. No need for bushing. Also add seperate clutch reservoir. If you do, you can get auto brake reservoir to cleanup installation. On the 2013, clutch was an issue, shifter and synchro's.

Last edited:

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
I'm really happy with my current setup. Shifts smooth. Not much if any NVH. Ford should've made it this way from the start.
Steeda Tri Ax Race
Steeda Clutch Spring
Steel Braided Clutch Line
Steeda Transmission Insert bushing
BG Syncroshift 2 Fluid
RC LatheWerks Knob.

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
Also weighing in here...
I have the Blowfish bracket, Boomba trans mount (street), BG Synchromesh II and Steeda poly motor mounts (red bushings). Shifter is smooth, not notchy at all, no problems ever hitting high RPM shifts.

Ran just the blowfish mount for awhile, that was the biggest improvement, but there was more drivetrain rattle/movement in the shifter (under acceleration) that totally went away after I installed the trans and motor mounts. Either way it was fine and got used to it right away.

JP Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP Knight
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Do you have any added NVH after going with MGW? Also, i've seen MGW has a different reverse lockout mechanism compared to stock, does it work well ?
And which transmission insert bushing did you go with ?
I have drove so manual cars that have different characteristic with reverse and didnt take me awhile to get use to it so I have no issue with it and its fine and works very well. Although they do have option to keep stock reverse function I believe. As far as NVH, I mean it doesnt bother me at all, theres is a lil bit if I pay attention. All I care about is performance.

Sponsored

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
I'm looking for advice. 2018 mt6. I've driven manuals for 20 years and I've never had this much difficulty shifting a car. I grind nearly every time from 1-2 and 2-3 when giving it the business over 6k. If I shift slowly I never grind. A friend who is a great driver has the same problems with my car.

I have tried no spring, steeds spring, factory spring. Syncroshift, whiteline trans insert, boomba shifter bracket. Boomba bracket was the biggest change. But still slight grind on fast shifts over 6k.

I wapped my interror plastic parts on leather, and needed to silicone the chrome shifter bezel in place. While I'm sure I can remove the stock shifter, it will be some added work to change to mgw.

So does anyone have recommendations? Blowfish, mgw, drivers school, get an a10?
Thanks
I don't know why people complain about these shifters so much. I have a 2015 6 speed car. I never have troubles shifting it. Never had issues racing it (shifts are about 7500 rpm) never missed, grinded, or what not. I slam them gears hard to.

Danmg202

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt- 401a - PP1
Ran a blowfish but swapped it to a Barton hybrid 3 with just the normal body mount option. The Barton was fantastic, left all the springs inside the assembly as they suggested. I loved the hell out of it right up until I grew up and got a 10 speed.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
Does the MGW need a Blowfish bracket or is it incompatible?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
blowfish is not needed with either barton hybrid 3 or mgw. wasting money by buying. blowfish with both, and if you have blowfish, just sell it and recoup $ and get either MGW or barton.

biggest difference, MGW is push down reverse, barton is pull up reverse collar
Sponsored