Convertible Top Lifespan?

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
As a newbie to cloth tops, I'm excited to put it down whenever possible. What's the average lifespan of the motor and does the motor require any maintenance?
Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I doubt the motor requires any maintenance. As far as lifespan goes, for most people the motor would outlast the top, as the material is subject to weather, UV and the wear and tear of folding and unfolding. I’d be more worried about having to replace the latter, than the former.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I've had convertibles in the past and they have all been hydraulic. I never had any trouble with the mechanics on those.
My '18 Mustang has two electric motors. The thing that worries me is I've read, but cannot confirm, that the drive gears ate plastic. If they are then I hope they're durable. If they're not durable then I hope they're easy to replace...
As for the top itself, they require regular care and maintenance. The vinyl top on my last convertible was 21 years old when I sold it and looked nearly new. I kept it clean and treated and repaired any seam stitching when it started to fail.
I love the look of the black canvas on my RaceRed Mustang. Keeping it clean and treating it is essential to maintaining it.
Last weekend I cleaned it (vacuumed, scrubbed with a top cleaner, rinsed it, let it dry 24 hours and treated it with fabric protector. I used the RagTop brand. I liked the cleaner ok. The fabric protector went on well enough (be very careful of overspray) but I've been less than impressed with its water repellency. I will likely source some 3M 303 fabric protector and retreat the top. I've always used the 303 on my Sunbrella boat canvas with excellent results but couldn't readily find it this time.

ClayAce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I've had convertibles in the past and they have all been hydraulic. I never had any trouble with the mechanics on those.
My '18 Mustang has two electric motors. The thing that worries me is I've read, but cannot confirm, that the drive gears ate plastic. If they are then I hope they're durable. If they're not durable then I hope they're easy to replace...
As for the top itself, they require regular care and maintenance. The vinyl top on my last convertible was 21 years old when I sold it and looked nearly new. I kept it clean and treated and repaired any seam stitching when it started to fail.
I love the look of the black canvas on my RaceRed Mustang. Keeping it clean and treating it is essential to maintaining it.
Last weekend I cleaned it (vacuumed, scrubbed with a top cleaner, rinsed it, let it dry 24 hours and treated it with fabric protector. I used the RagTop brand. I liked the cleaner ok. The fabric protector went on well enough (be very careful of overspray) but I've been less than impressed with its water repellency. I will likely source some 3M 303 fabric protector and retreat the top. I've always used the 303 on my Sunbrella boat canvas with excellent results but couldn't readily find it this time.
My 16 is stored in my garage. I'm just wondering how often do you scrub the top and apply the sealant? One time per month..every other month..etc..

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
This is my first convertible so I'm wondering about the life expectancy of it as well. I do know they ain't cheap to replace.

I would suspect damage from the sun to play a big factor in the life expectancy - especially in places like the south west and Florida. You can kind of tell if a convertible car has sat outside most of its life just by looking at how beat up it is.

I waited to buy my vert until I had a dedicated garage spot for it. I wouldn't dream of owning one if it was going to sit outside 24/7.

Sponsored

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Tops will damage by themself. I had a 2016, top had scuf and cut due to mecanism and plastic parts you put on the side to hide the hole. On my 2018, inner roof was pinched sometimes and cut the side a little. They replace it, and few days after same issue. In my 2016 both motors were changed after one year.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
My 16 is stored in my garage. I'm just wondering how often do you scrub the top and apply the sealant? One time per month..every other month..etc..
How often you treat it totally depends on how much you use it.
Mine is my DD so the car gets washed regularly. I usually just rinse the top and wash it every 3rd or 4th car wash unless it's picked up some junk like leaves laying on it or bird crap. Then it gets washed. I've had mine a little over 6 months and this is the first time I've put fabric protector on it. I'll likely do it every 6 months or so unless it quits beading water, then I'll retreat.
If yours is strictly a summer car the, were it mine, I'd clean and treat before taking it out in the spring.
If it's a garage queen and doesn't get driven I'd vacuum the top occasionally and call it good.

SouthernCyclone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 3.7 TT
We had a convertible top replaced recently.
The auto upholstery shop that replaced the top told us the lifespan depends on what type of material you get the top made out of, how much the car is exposed to weather especially sunlight and that the average lifespan is 7-13 years depending on previous factors. Could be a few years more if car is always garaged and rarely driven.

Personally I will never buy another car with convertible top, high quality tops plus installation is very expensive.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
We had a convertible top replaced recently.
The auto upholstery shop that replaced the top told us the lifespan depends on what type of material you get the top made out of, how much the car is exposed to weather especially sunlight and that the average lifespan is 7-13 years depending on previous factors. Could be a few years more if car is always garaged and rarely driven.

Personally I will never buy another car with convertible top, high quality tops plus installation is very expensive.

Honest assetment right there....thumbs up !

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
The motors are likely to last a very, very long time. Started to say "motor", but these cars have rotary hydraulic motors to raise and lower the top instead of old fashioned cylinders. 20+ years on the pump motor is common. The pump itself rarely fails. It's the electric motor that burns out on occasion. The top just doesn't get operated all that much. The lift motors? They'll last almost forever. They're like engine oil pumps - without powdered metal gears. The old cylinders would blow a seal every now and then.

Cloth top material will last a very long time (20+ years) if it doesn't spend a lot of time in the sun. Ford finally changed the way the top folds with the 6G cars. Now the inner liner or inside of the top isn't exposed when the top is down. A brillinat innovation. Convertibles used to have "boots" to cover the exposed innards. Now there are just two covers for the exposed mechanism.

I date from the days of vinyl back windows. The 6G is a huge improvement over older convertibles, even the New Edge, and that was a big step up over the Fox. @SouthernCyclone, that's all true. If you like convertibles for what they are, you understand it's a cost of owning the car.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I do know they ain't cheap to replace.
I just had mine replaced under warranty for cuts in the canvas from the side covers. The service writer showed me the bill, it was $6,700 just in parts from Ford and another $900 in labor.

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Great info

My 2018 has some noticeable creases, however I'm told with a good scrubbing and some time in the hot sun, they should smooth out a bit. It's oddly freezing in NJ!

I do have a soft bristles brush and 303 cleaner/protector spray on order, and I'm excited to hear the motors etc are better built than the older generations.

I did notice that my tonneau cover a have a large piece of thick foam glued to the underside of each. I hope this is addressing the rubbing issue I read about on the 5G's?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I did notice that my tonneau cover a have a large piece of thick foam glued to the underside of each. I hope this is addressing the rubbing issue I read about on the 5G's?
Actually it was the 6G's that had the problem. 15-17 verts built on or before Feb 1 of 2017 had an issue with the covers rubbing and leaving small cuts in the canvas top. Mine was one that was affected. They replaced the top and give you revised side covers.
B29538A3-5DB6-4E9E-9DC9-402627F78ACA.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Actually it was the 6G's that had the problem. 15-17 verts built on or before Feb 1 of 2017 had an issue with the covers rubbing and leaving small cuts in the canvas top. Mine was one that was affected. They replace the top and give you revised side covers.
B29538A3-5DB6-4E9E-9DC9-402627F78ACA.jpeg
Thanks for clarifying, learning the lingo. Are the 18+ called anything different? Are all 6G called S550? Sorry for the ignorance.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Yes all S-550's are considered 6G they include the years 2015 thru present. The 18+ are referred as just 18+ and the earlier ones are referred to as 15-17's
Sponsored