Gas mileage drop

Ayee__Jay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
I watch the fuel gauge but I also go by “Miles to E”. I did a lot of highway driving for a few years for my job (60-80 miles a day) and everytime i filled up during the week I would fill up with 87 and my miles would average around 300 usually. Recently got a close to home now so now I fill up with 93 (used to fill up 2-3 times a week so i was just saving money, yes I knew what i was doing) i JUST filled up and it says “211 to E“ on a full tank. Any ideas of whats going on? Its recently been declining more and more everytime i fill up and I drive on average MAYBE 10 miles daily
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I think you said it already. You drove a lot of highway miles. Now you're driving 10 miles, but what kind of miles are those? Hell, in my previously tuned Mustang I could reset the gauge and I'd get 28 or so miles per gallon on a long trip without any stops. During the winter, once our field season stops and I'm commuting into the office during normal work hours, my mileage drops into the 17s. It's good to reset that gauge during big changes in driving habits to see the true value.

You also have to take into account that the "211 to E" thing is based on your very recent driving average, it's not using whatever MPG you've built up over however long you haven't reset that meter on your dash.

Osofast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Vehicle Showcase
I drive all backroads city and always in sport plus, and my miles to e when I fill up is usually 289-283
For the most part my commute is only 5 miles one way and I drive it like I stole it every chance I get

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
I think you said it already. You drove a lot of highway miles. Now you're driving 10 miles, but what kind of miles are those? Hell, in my previously tuned Mustang I could reset the gauge and I'd get 28 or so miles per gallon on a long trip without any stops. During the winter, once our field season stops and I'm commuting into the office during normal work hours, my mileage drops into the 17s. It's good to reset that gauge during big changes in driving habits to see the true value.

You also have to take into account that the "211 to E" thing is based on your very recent driving average, it's not using whatever MPG you've built up over however long you haven't reset that meter on your dash.
Pretty much this. You're most likely doing more local driving (read: stops) so you're using more fuel to move the car from a standstill more often during your commute as opposed to straight up cruising due to g-force on the highway. That's how the city vs highway MPG is advertised on the sticker. Bright side is, you'll likely still have to fill up less because you're commute is shorter, I hope.

If you wanna see the mileage your getting, reset the fuel economy view on a local road with lots of stop lights/signs vs cruising on a low-incline highway at ~75mph on the highway at part throttle. If you have the digital dash, it even has a fun little gauge that shows you what you're getting in real-time.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Interesting, I never knew that is based on recent driving average. Mine has only shown over 210 once since buying it. When I bought it and filled it up, it said 297 and now I'm lucky if it says 200 on a fill up. I was always thinking that I couldn't get the pump just right to actually fill the tank.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I'm afraid to ever look at that gauge..unless it's parked in the garage :)

Pretty much this. If you have the digital dash, it even has a fun little gauge that shows you what you're getting in real-time.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Most engines are programmed to run rich when they're cold. They don't lean out to the most efficient ratio until they've warmed up. On short trips, your engine doesn't warm up enough to run efficiently.
Sponsored