2020 GT350R For Sale At MSRP

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
I would like start out by saying that I really enjoy and appreciate the outstanding performance characteristics that both the GT350 model and R model bring to both the street or track as I am very fortunate to own both a GT350 Track Pack car and an R model therefore respect them both equally but obviously for different reasons.

Based on my experience both the GT350 and the R models are not all that much different on the street but when taking these two models to the track/road course the R model has more than just a little sharper edge over a stock GT350 and it certainly should be.

Between the stiffer and shorter springs in the R along with running a 30 sidewall aspect ratio which results in a lower ride height and slightly higher drive ratio as well as the significant weight reductions coming from rear seat delete, CF rims (much less rotating mass weight), CF wing, stickier tires and in the case of the Base R models having some ~15 delete items these R models only weigh just over 3600# which obviously results in much better performance times at the track compared to a GT350.

Just curious if you have ever had an opportunity to drive an R model and a GT350 back to back on a road course and then turn the wheel over to a professional driver/instructor that then takes these great cars to another level while you are in the jump seat but if you had I suggest that you might have a totally different opinion with respect to the differences between these two automobiles at the track?

If you don't want to take my word for it maybe take the word of Billy Johnson who probably has had more seat time testing the GT350 and R models than any other person on the planet with his comments and opinions speaking for themselves.

Again let me be clear that I love both of my GT350 and R model a great deal and on the street they provide a somewhat comparable driving experience but on a road course it is obvious that the R model is much more track focused and yes they are on an entirely different level and not even close.

:sunglasses:
trackmustangsonline made me realize i need an R along with my gt350......i must need to come up with enough moneyfor you 2016 @PP0001
Sponsored

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I didn’t, nor am I taking anything from the R. I think they’re amazing. The only reason I didn’t purchase one was I needed the back seat and knew I would be paranoid about the cf wheels on the street. I also knew I would mod the car and didn’t want to do that to an R. I felt that car should be left just as it came from the factory. Pure and unmolested. I have driven an R on a road course, but haven’t a non. I will put mine on a track as soon as the covid pass’s. When I do the car will have linear springs and all the other chassis bracing installed and may have forged wheels as well, so it won’t be a fair comparison. My track experience with four wheels is limited compared to that of my two wheel. I do have extensive experience with two wheels, going on 30 plus years at this point. Started with an 85gsxr(import model) to now an Aprilia rsv4. I’m fairly competent on a bike. The biggest upgrade as far as handling goes with the modern variants I’ve had is pitching the factory wheels, and tires in some cases, and switching to Oz’s(forged). If it’s half as drastic as it is on two wheels I can only imagine the difference on four. On two wheels it makes a night/day difference on turn ins and braking. The R I drove was phenomenal. I just don’t have a reference to a non on a track to truthfully say anything. I would really like to see some one do a test with both cars, same year, and same tires just to get a true frame of reference on what the gap really is. If that has been done I haven’t seen it. What I find to be the most incredible thing about these cars is that they’re on a level very few can get them to there limits. Me personally, I just simply enjoy the hell out of motorsports. Cars, bikes, utv’s. I can appreciate all the manufacturers and what they produce. Us being enthusiasts ultimately are the true beneficiaries. It’s a great time in history for what is available to us.

I would like start out by saying that I really enjoy and appreciate the outstanding performance characteristics that both the GT350 model and R model bring to both the street or track as I am very fortunate to own both a GT350 Track Pack car and an R model therefore respect them both equally but obviously for different reasons.

Based on my experience both the GT350 and the R models are not all that much different on the street but when taking these two models to the track/road course the R model has more than just a little sharper edge over a stock GT350 and it certainly should be.

Between the stiffer and shorter springs in the R along with running a 30 sidewall aspect ratio which results in a lower ride height and slightly higher drive ratio as well as the significant weight reductions coming from rear seat delete, CF rims (much less rotating mass weight), CF wing, stickier tires and in the case of the Base R models having some ~15 delete items these R models only weigh just over 3600# which obviously results in much better performance times at the track compared to a GT350.

Just curious if you have ever had an opportunity to drive an R model and a GT350 back to back on a road course and then turn the wheel over to a professional driver/instructor that then takes these great cars to another level while you are in the jump seat but if you had I suggest that you might have a totally different opinion with respect to the differences between these two automobiles at the track?

If you don't want to take my word for it maybe take the word of Billy Johnson who probably has had more seat time testing the GT350 and R models than any other person on the planet with his comments and opinions speaking for themselves.

Again let me be clear that I love both of my GT350 and R model a great deal and on the street they provide a somewhat comparable driving experience but on a road course it is obvious that the R model is much more track focused and yes they are on an entirely different level and not even close.

:sunglasses:

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
the mgw has nothing to do with it the R is actually a different car. Decent Wheels and tires - $5-7,000, suspension, $1,000 with labor. Then you’re not taking into account the front splitter and rear wing downforce differences, and how the cars magnaride/abs is tuned to that system along with its wheel and tire combo......its not as simple as you say.

theres a forum member who interviewed a ford engineer for Hot Rod on here that stated in lamens terms....a GT power pack 2 is like an f1 car on hard tires, a gt350 is an f1 on medium, and a 350r is an f1 car on soft tires.

if i had the money id absolutely get an 2020 R in addition to my 19 350.
That is incorrect .... the Ford engineer was addressing tire grip between the GT350R and GT350;
"The contrast between the tire compounds is akin to the different tires that you see in modern day Formula 1 racing, with their different tire compounds of soft, medium, and hard. One can imagine the old Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires as being analogous to the hard compound tires, whereas the new 2019 GT350 base Cup 2 are the medium tire, while the GT350R receives the soft tire."

What the Ford engineers don't tell you is Michelin engineers have them listed as the same compound, same wear rating, etc. The true difference between FRCup2 is size, both in aspect ratio(35) and tread width(11.4). The 350's cup 2's (both 295 & 305) are a full .4" wider than the 305/30/19 the standard Cup2 the 350R wears for the front.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
That is incorrect .... the Ford engineer was addressing tire grip between the GT350R and GT350;
"The contrast between the tire compounds is akin to the different tires that you see in modern day Formula 1 racing, with their different tire compounds of soft, medium, and hard. One can imagine the old Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires as being analogous to the hard compound tires, whereas the new 2019 GT350 base Cup 2 are the medium tire, while the GT350R receives the soft tire."

What the Ford engineers don't tell you is Michelin engineers have them listed as the same compound, same wear rating, etc. The true difference between FRCup2 is size, both in aspect ratio(35) and tread width(11.4). The 350's cup 2's (both 295 & 305) are a full .4" wider than the 305/30/19 the standard Cup2 the 350R wears for the front.
but also the magnaride and abs is tuned to the tire size

Sponsored

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
but also the magnaride and abs is tuned to the tire size
Without a doubt! That is why the 350's lap time with Randy Pobst was within .7 sec of the 350R when tested recently. My only question would be, how much has the 2020 R improved since 2016? Until its tested we won't know.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Without a doubt! That is why the 350's lap time with Randy Pobst was within .7 sec of the 350R when tested recently. My only question would be, how much has the 2020 R improved since 2016? Until its tested we won't know.
thats what i was i plying and also added the tire comment

OP
OP
PP0001

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
trackmustangsonline made me realize i need an R along with my gt350......i must need to come up with enough moneyfor you 2016 @PP0001
If you are referring to my R model it is a 2018 Base R model and was very fortunate to have Ford of Canada build it for me at the last minute as only 1 Base R was scheduled for Canada prior to the May 1st, 2018 discontinuation of these rare Base R's cars and fortunately a second car was built.

I agree that a 2018 Black/Blue Base R model would look terrific sitting right beside your 2019 Magnetic/Black roof GT350!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:like::like:
Sponsored