Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
Just realized I hadn’t written-up my tire/wheel change experience (occurred several months ago)

Here’s my slightly different Florida Street Driven approach to Tires/Wheels for my 2016 GT350.

This may be of some value for a “Winter” tire/wheel package for owners in the northern states.

Tires and Wheels (a change for my totally street-driven GT350)

Most of what I’ve read here on the forum concerning changes to GT350 wheels/tires have been:
A. GT350R-Spec Wheels for my GT350
B. Eliminate the staggered setup and go with a squared setup, often requiring spacers for the front.
C. Maybe a 20” wheel/tire package
D. Maybe just a different design wheel for appearance.
E. Maybe a higher quality wheel for track use.
None of that for me.

Street-Driven, being the key phrase here.

No more track time for me, had enough of that in my 39+ years of racing stock cars. Started well over 1,000 feature race events. From here on-out its Highway/Back Road drivin’ street time for me.

My tire/wheel plan was approached kind of backwards

Tires…
Actually, the tires are what I selected first
After researching many… “Continental Extreme Contact Sport” became my final decision.
Here’s the backwards part... Size: 255/40/ZR19 Front, 265/40/ZR19 Rear
What! Mustang GT tires on a GT350? Yes…, at least they had the same diameter/circumference.

Wheels... These tires would be stretched too far to use the factory GT350 wheels.
My new wheels would need to be: Front: 19 x 9.5, Rear: 19 x 10”
Retaining a staggered setup, these wheels would end up being 1” narrower than OEM GT350.
“Forgestar CF10 Deep Concave” are the wheels I chose because: I liked the look, liked the price, and liked the caliper clearance.

UPDATED NOTE:
I did seriously consider keeping my OEM wheels and just putting on the “Continental Extreme Contact Sport” tires.
The sizes in that scenario would have been 265/40/ZR19 Front, 275/40/ZR19 Rear. This would also work well, save money, and require no speedometer modification.

The next obstacle to figure out was the offset. 1” narrower wheels are going to look sunken-in on the GT350 if I retained the OEM offset of: +30mm front, +62mm rear. Had to research and study my best offset. Tramlining and Scrub Radius was a main concern. I pretty well knew from reading, the Continental Tires were going to practically eliminate the annoying tramlining inherent to the GT350, especially with a narrower tire, but if I brought the wheels out farther to look more like stock, and not sunken-in, this would create more positive scrub radius on the front-end geometry. My concern about the increased scrub radius was this may cause some undesirable input or feel into the braking or steering. After trying to find out what the exact scrub-radius spec was on the GT350, (Asking Ford Performance, and I even ask the Performance Team engineers at a Daytona testing event), never receiving an answer… -Must be a Big F'in guarded secret-.
SEE: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/figuring-out-scrub-radius.116326/#post-2528705
I estimated myself the stock scrub radius to be ½” to 3/4” positive. So, I decided on wheel offsets of: +16mm front, +48mm rear. This was 14mm or 9/16” out on both front and rear. With an increase to scrub radius of 9/16” positive.

I had to special order these wheels; it took almost 6 weeks to receive them.

First visual impressions:
Perfect offset, From the back view-looking toward the front, along the side, the Poke is totally OEM. The color, still not sure about the gunmetal, I had the gunmetal color wheels on my 2015 GT premium w/50th Anniversary wheels and they looked good, but it was a triple yellow car. With the shadow black car, still wondering if I should have gone with the satin black wheels.

First driving impressions:
The steering: Amazing, absolutely no tramlining, totally gone. And the steering seemed rock solid, with no side effects whatsoever from the increased scrub radius. I was totally satisfied and happy that I now have some 40,000-mile tires to carry me on down the road.

Final Thoughts: Been driving with my new setup for several months now. Can I still take the 270-degree entrance ramp to I-75 at 95MPH… ? Yes, (With no traffic of course)
I am totally satisfied with this setup and not planning on going back with OEM. My original wheels/tires never came within 6” of a curb, the tires still have some mileage left on them. The wheels are mint, still factory mounted/balanced, so I put them up in my tire rack, not sure what I should do with them, I may end up selling them.

WEIGHTS:
Tires: Michelin OEM = 29# Front, 30# Rear, Continental ECS = 26# Front, 27# Rear
Wheels: OEM = 34#, Forgestars = 24#
The New Mounted Tire/Wheel are about 13# lighter each compared with OEM.

COST:
Tires and New TPMS sensors: 1092
Wheels and Lug Nuts: 1448
Balancing: 50
Total Cost = 2590

Test Fitting the Wheels for clearance and offset
Final-Pre-1.jpg

Final-Pre-2.jpg

Final Stance and Look
Final-1.jpg
Final-2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
good write up as usual John.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Nice write up! I switched OEM Michelin Cup2 tires on my 2019 GT350 with Michelin PSS 295/19 & 305/19 on OEM wheels and tramlining gone completely. But now the car is not handling the same. I kind of liked driving it with Cup2, it kept me more alerted. Before it was like riding wild mustang and now it's like riding domesticated horse so to speak.

trevman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT3fiddy
Greymetal wheels look great!!! Awesome writeup, especially for those of us researching / contemplating new wheels and tires; yet another choice to consider. The price is a great plus since most of the wheel / tire combos I have been looking at are $5k+.

Why did you go with 40 series instead of 35 or 30?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnVallo

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
Why did you go with 40 series instead of 35 or 30?
Several reasons for using the 40 series tire
1. Same exact circumference as 35 series OEM originals
2. Only slightly narrower than OEM originals, tires are also lighter by 3 pounds
3. Great in the rain
4. No tramlining
5. Still able to utilize a 10" wide wheel
6. Longer (By a Lot) tread life, also, much wider selection of tires

These same size tires I had on my 2015 GT premium, and was impressed by the overall stability, grip, handling, and wear ability.

Last edited:

QCGoose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (Velocity Blue)
Excellent write-up, and you definitely made the right choice for the wheel color. They're perfect.

IMO, darker wheels look good on brighter cars, and brighter wheels look good on darker cars; there needs to be a contrast. All black is just too much (and a bit played out at this point).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
you definitely made the right choice for the wheel color. They're perfect.
be careful when ordering (from eg. American Muscle) The 'gunmetal' and 'silver' are nearly indistinguishable in sunlight. Indoors you can tell the difference but it's more subtle than you might expect. The gunmetal color goes on sale periodically (like now).

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Nice logical presentation!

I had those Contis on my RS4, and found that the sidewall was too soft for my taste. While the car was more comfortable, it lost something. It is completely a subjective thing... I like a very stiff sidewall to "feel" the road and make the steering feel "sharp." Once I put the RS4 back on extreme performance tires (Bridgestone RE71R), the steering felt right again.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Pilot 4s are back ordered, continental extremes are back ordered.....a very very trusted person recommended bridgestone potenzas...

Sponsored

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
Great write-up.

For street use, I wonder what the ideal wheel/tire size is for this car. Give up some grip you'll never need for street driving, and decrease weight, rotating mass, making car more agile.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm.... Very interesting, very few people would look to go backwards by that much. Most are looking to put more tire down on the pavement. Were you looking to increase you tire choices?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Great write up, as usual! I did something similar last year - I had a set of 19x9.5 2014 GT500 Base rims and a pair of 265/40 Michelin AS/3's on hand already, so instead of selling them I decided to put tires on them and see how it all looked. I've got 255/40 on the front and 265/40 on the rear in Michelin AS3's. A 24mm spacer up front delivers ET20 front and ET44 rear. I only run them in the winter, though.

upload_2020-5-12_8-40-34.png

QCGoose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (Velocity Blue)
...I decided to put tires on them and see how it all looked.
Holy smokes, that looks absolutely killer! Those wheels should have been factory on the 350 because that's about the best-looking setup I've seen yet.

If I could find a lightweight set in black for my (eventual) 350 with that exact design, I'd purchase them tonight and have them swapped on to the car as soon as it's delivered (hopefully by mid-July at this rate).

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Holy smokes, that looks absolutely killer! Those wheels should have been factory on the 350 because that's about the best-looking setup I've seen yet.

If I could find a lightweight set in black for my (eventual) 350 with that exact design, I'd purchase them tonight and have them swapped on to the car as soon as it's delivered (hopefully by mid-July at this rate).
Thanks! I'm glad you like it! As for light weight, though, they're not. They're OEM GT500 rims and they're about thirty pounds each.
Sponsored