Engine Tick Preventive Measures

gregsdart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt a10 pp1 301 base
Okay that's fair, I was just going off what my owner's manual said, there was no mention of 93. But I'll look into it. But I agree that running 87 is stupid on a 12:1 motor.
I agree 87 shouldn't be run in a GT, but cylinder pressures can be greatly reduced by cam timing combined with spark retard. I doubt there would be any damage, but it sure would run like poop!
Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
This whole tick and 2k rattle has been going on for too long, take this for what it's worth. I have a 2019 GT with the stock motor E85 and twin turbo's I made over 900 rwhp on 12 psi. The motor had the tick and the 2k rattle, I pulled the motor out and inspected the cylinder walls and checked the connecting rod side clearance everything checked out and I found nothing wrong. I recently built a sleeved motor with forged internals and I can tell you with 100% certainty that there is no tick or 2k rattle anymore, at idle you do hear the direct injection sounds but nothing more. The problem with the factory engine is the plasma bore and hypereutectic pistons in regards to PTW clearance and nothing more. There have been many theories from connecting rod side clearance to oil cavitation and so on, don't worry about the noises as they don't seem to cause any issues in the short term but only time will tell if they cause damage later on. Just drive your car as you wish and if you are worried about the noises see if warranty will do anything about it, which won't get you anywhere as you will just get another OEM built short block with the same issues. Anyone who says they don't have the rattle or tick on a Gen 3 Coyote needs to use a Q tip as they all do it.

EPTS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I agree the noises are probably 100% normal. But, not hearing them is cool too. Ceratec has fixed it for me.

Sponsored

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This whole tick and 2k rattle has been going on for too long, take this for what it's worth. I have a 2019 GT with the stock motor E85 and twin turbo's I made over 900 rwhp on 12 psi. The motor had the tick and the 2k rattle, I pulled the motor out and inspected the cylinder walls and checked the connecting rod side clearance everything checked out and I found nothing wrong. I recently built a sleeved motor with forged internals and I can tell you with 100% certainty that there is no tick or 2k rattle anymore, at idle you do hear the direct injection sounds but nothing more. The problem with the factory engine is the plasma bore and hypereutectic pistons in regards to PTW clearance and nothing more. There have been many theories from connecting rod side clearance to oil cavitation and so on, don't worry about the noises as they don't seem to cause any issues in the short term but only time will tell if they cause damage later on. Just drive your car as you wish and if you are worried about the noises see if warranty will do anything about it, which won't get you anywhere as you will just get another OEM built short block with the same issues. Anyone who says they don't have the rattle or tick on a Gen 3 Coyote needs to use a Q tip as they all do it.
The issue is not the plasma bore. I have a 2016 GT (gen 2 Coyote) which doesnt utilize plasma bore and it has the 2K rattle and tick. It's something else. Wish I knew what.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2016 GT (gen 2 Coyote) which doesnt utilize plasma bore and it has the 2K rattle and tick. It's something else
My 17 with around 20K on it, no tick, no rattle, cold or hot. I always use 5w20 for what it's worth. Also if I had a rattle, I'd be warranting that right quick.

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My 17 with around 20K on it, no tick, no rattle, cold or hot. I always use 5w20 for what it's worth. Also if I had a rattle, I'd be warranting that right quick.
You're lucky. I sincerely hope it stays that way.

That's the sad part; I take care of this thing like nobody's business. Only has 11,000 miles on it. Full synthetic 5w20 oil change every TWO thousand miles! Driven easy until it's fully up to temp, never driven in the winter or in the rain, garage kept, etc etc.

And unfortunately my car is a 2016 so warranty is up, no?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The issue is not the plasma bore. I have a 2016 GT (gen 2 Coyote) which doesnt utilize plasma bore and it has the 2K rattle and tick. It's something else. Wish I knew what.
I had a 2015 GT with twin turbo's that made over 900 whp as well and it never had a tick or rattle, the 2k rattle in the Gen 3 is 100% PTW related. With no steel liner the bore increases in size and the piston doesn't hence the piston slap and the 2k rattle. Take a Gen 3 and start it cold and lightly rev it from 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm and it won't rattle, give it 5 mins to warm up and the rattle will be there. Think about this the GT 350 uses as plasma bore liner as well but it used a forged piston which grows and takes up the difference in the bore. This maintains the correct PTW clearance that's why they don't have any issues with piston rattle when at operating temps.

liv2roc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt/cs ,2004 Mustang Mach1, 1984 mustang gt 350
you can forget about the warranty for the tick there's a service bulletin on the tick and ford says its normal. just put some ceratec in it and you want hear it anymore. dont know if it will keep it from blowing up down the road but at least you want be embarrassed sitting at a stop light with it sounding like its knocking when that hellcat pulls up beside you.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
With the stock engine I ran 2 bottles of Ceratec and it seemed to stop the tick, but after a week or so it came back. It also made the oil look like shit.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
With the stock engine I ran 2 bottles of Ceratec and it seemed to stop the tick, but after a week or so it came back. It also made the oil look like shit.
Yeah, nothing “stops” the tick. The aftermarket additives just reduce the volume level.

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had a 2015 GT with twin turbo's that made over 900 whp as well and it never had a tick or rattle, the 2k rattle in the Gen 3 is 100% PTW related. With no steel liner the bore increases in size and the piston doesn't hence the piston slap and the 2k rattle. Take a Gen 3 and start it cold and lightly rev it from 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm and it won't rattle, give it 5 mins to warm up and the rattle will be there. Think about this the GT 350 uses as plasma bore liner as well but it used a forged piston which grows and takes up the difference in the bore. This maintains the correct PTW clearance that's why they don't have any issues with piston rattle when at operating temps.
So how do you explain the tick and 2K rattle in my 2016? It's a gen 2 that has steel liners not plasma.
Sponsored