Sponsored

MGW Shifter Install!

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I had the MGW in my R for about 1500 miles, couldn't get used to the push down to reverse and the strong centering spring tension so I've gone back to the OEM shifter. I can tell for sure the MGW's throw is shorter (some say the throw isn't much shorter but it is) especially the lateral move from 2nd to 3rd is lightening quick with the MGW. But I still prefer the feel of the OEM shifter so the MGW shifter is available if anyone is interested.
How much are you asking for the MGW sir?
Sponsored

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Not yet as I had a Viper ACR as my track toy, also use a Viper TA, a manual Porsche GT3 occasionally, also have a '67 restomod Vette w/ a Richmond Gear 5 speed road race box for vintage type events. Believe it or not, I use the Shelby as my family car! As this is the car that I still enjoy driving while taking out the wife and daughter (I put in the rear seat the first weekend I got the car), and my daughter said she prefers the Shelby's backseat better than the Tesla Model S, the Jeep, and the 911 cab's). Please don't judge me because I find the MGW not suitable for my "uses" of the car.
no judgement here. You have many nice cars and a use for each. Thanks for the context:)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had a similar experience with the MGW I added to my 2011 GT. That car really needed the MGW, and the MGW was awesome in every way except I had trouble getting the transmission to shift into reverse with the MGW.

I think there was an adjustment available on that particular MGW reverse lockout. I didn't mess with it as the trouble I had never rose to the level that I decided to pull things apart again. Is there an adjustment for the reverse lockout on the GT350 version of the MGW?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Yup. Same as MT82 shifter procedure.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
When I first installed my shifter, I gotta admit I was not blown away. Was it an improvement? Of course it was. Earth shattering? Nope.

Just finished my TrackAttack; first time back in a car with a stock shifter. "Your honor...I'd like to revise my previous statement!" LOL.

Sponsored

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
When I first installed my shifter, I gotta admit I was not blown away. Was it an improvement? Of course it was. Earth shattering? Nope.

Just finished my TrackAttack; first time back in a car with a stock shifter. "Your honor...I'd like to revise my previous statement!" LOL.
Lololol

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
having a skinny arm or a friend definately helps get that front bolt out

did my non GT350 MGW on jackstands in 3 hours taking my time and this is before they came out with the new design that cuts the time in half

easily the best mod to the car, you interact with it 100% of the time driving the car unlike most mods.
Did you pull the driveshaft?

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
A reminder, mark your tranny location, so you can put it back in the same spot. I just used a marker pen around the edges of the mount. If you don't put it back where it was you might get some vibration issues

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Is there a way to install this without unbolting the transmission?

Sponsored

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
If you are going to to any shifter on this car, I'd highly recommend you go ahead and do an aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft and cat-back exhaust at the same time. The person doing the labor is going to thank you for being able to take all of that off to get at the shifter more effectively/easier and you're already going to have to take the stuff off so you might as well put better parts back in their place. It'll save you labor cost for doing those items in the future if you had thought about doing it piece-by-piece.

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
all done!! took about 4 hours and that’s because I’m an idiot and unscrewed one of the trans mounts arms too much and it came unthreaded and I had to fiddle getting it back in for 45 mins.
Besides that I personally felt the hardest part was getting the actual trans mount circular clamps onto those trans ovals. I live in NE so I had to sand them a good bit to get them level and smooth to accept the clamp. And it took a combination of minor jacks to the trans to get it slide over.
Of course when I finally got a chance to shift it... I was stunned. It’s so tight and firm and feels amazing. can’t wait to drive it when all the rain/snow ends here

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Mine is in, mine is in!!! I’ll add...no reason to overstress this job! Only thing odd I ran across was torquing the crossmember bolts. Dang those treads felt soft and they turned quite a bit from hand tight to 75 lbft. I thought it was going to strip for sure. Anyone else experience this? I kept going and hit the target, but I hated the way they felt.

I adjusted my pin but I don’t remember if I backed it off the 1/2 turn when done. Zero problems getting into first, reverse, or changing gears. I’m pretty sure I did it and just physicing myself out, but asking just in case. Should be OK?

Down from 3-2 has to be a deliberate movement. Not bad, just deliberate.

Reverse wil take some getting used to, lol.

This shifter is rock solid. Thoroughly enjoy it. Zero regrets. Top shelf quality, amazing packaging, and on and on and on! BUT, I will say this...this shifter isn’t kinda like getting a cat back exhaust system in that it confirms jsut how good Ford got it right with the stock one. This may have been an improvement mod, but dang, that stock shifter is still confirmed as the best stock shifter I’ve ever seen. The new shifter confirms it cause the gap between the two is not that big, IMHO.

I know this is old but I was recently reviewing the Ford instructions for the shifter replacement service action and the torque on those transmission crossmember bolts is actually listed at 46ft/lbs. I attached the whole procedure below (page 10).

Attachments

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh I can not get this damn rubber boot to seat over the bottom of the shifter. Any advise?
Sponsored