JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Does anyone have a recommendation for a Ford Dealer or ASE Mechanic for the PP2? I may just try AutoNation in Frisco where I purchased the car, but would prefer one where I can actually meet the tech doing the install.

It has to be done by a dealer or ASE mechanic to retain factory warranty, and I am hopeful to find one in the North Dallas, McKinney, Plano, Frisco area that has:

1. Done it before
2. That I can meet personally before and after the work is done.
3. One of you recommend

:thumbsup:
Sponsored

fordxgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 XLT 5.0L V8
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
JeffreyDJ

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I spoke with him through our Facebook group. However, I went with Dallas Mustang as they were about $100 cheaper overall, and are Ford Performance dealers to boot. DM did a great job, and there are worse places to have to hang out while work is being done.

AlyourPal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP
Doesn't have to be done by ASE tech to retain factory warranty. Lot of discussion on this topic already. But I also heard it straight from Ford Performance. If you install yourself, you won't get warranty on the parts you install, but it won't void your factory warranty on the car.

OP
OP
JeffreyDJ

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
You're right it's been discussed "numerous" times. I also spoke to Ford Performance via chat and phone, and they were very, very clear: Your factory FORD Power Train warranty would almost certainly be kaput with the tune installed and Ford could deny the claim.

In fact, they now bold this line in their warranty documentation:

"Installation of these select Ford Performance and mountune warranted performance packs and components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. "

It can be installed by a Ford Dealer, Ford Performance Dealer or other ASE tech. If you do it yourself, you may as well use any other tuner, it'd be the same.

It is true, the rest of your factory warranty remains intact, including any parts of the power train not directly impacted by the tune. Either way, it was only $220 for an install.

Sponsored

AlyourPal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP
I was told you wouldn't even lose powertrain by Ford Performance:

"So, it sucks that there is so much "mis-information" going around with warranty questions. By doing the install on your own, you only are losing out on the warranty for the actual components of the power pack. Your car is still 100% covered under the OEM warranty in terms of anything else going wrong with the car. Even if that were not the case, you would still be covered by the Magnusson Moss act, which essentially says that unless modifications can be proven to have caused the failure (which would never happen with FPP parts!), you are covered. That warranty that you don't have due to installing it on your own is simply the 3/36 (from the vehicle in-service date) on the parts. FYI- I installed PP1 on my own S550 before I worked for FPP, and had warranty work done with no issues what-so-ever"

OP
OP
JeffreyDJ

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I don't know what to tell ya. I spoke to FP via Chat and Phone, because the warranty posted on the website says that specifically. The text I quoted above is right at the top of the PDF version of the warranty right on their website.

Maybe it's some gray area between and depends, much like other tunes, on the mood of the service tech that day. Either way, $220 was a minor price to pay for me to now worry about it.

AlyourPal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP
I know, it's a mess. If I could have found a dealer or ASE tech to install it for $220, I probably would have done it too just for the peace of mind. But literally every Ford dealer in the Houston area refused the work. The one independent ASE shop quoted me 6 hours of labor for $510. So I rolled the dice and installed myself. I've since had my evaporator core replaced under warranty, so there's that. Good luck to you, you'll love the PP2 once it gets done lol

OP
OP
JeffreyDJ

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I had it done last Monday at Dallas Mustang, and love it. I had a quote for $294+tax from a dealer (5 Star in Plano), so went with DM.

If the quotes had been as high as yours, I'd have definitely done it myself too.

71Rcode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 6-speed base
Hey guys I live near Grapevine Ford and used Jason Scaff the service advisor. They were very easy to work with and I want to say charged $275 for the installation along those lines for a power pack 2. My 2017 has an extended warranty and I wanted to keep all of that intact. Grapevine Ford has since completed some warranty work for me and I've been very pleased with Jason and their team of mechanics. Highly recommend!
Sponsored