Why did my engine cut?

TREMAiNE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Porsche Cayenne, 1989 E30 320 Race Car
My car isn't being used much with the current lockdown, it's tucked away in the garage and every 4 or 5 days I start it up and let it run for 10 minutes or so before shutting it off.

This morning, I started it up and went back in the house, I got completely distracted with work and by the time I remembered the car was running it had probably been 45-60 minutes.

All that wasted fuel, I thought - additionally I know running a car for idle isn't particularly good either. Not the end of the world though.

I went back to the garage to shut it off to find that the car had already been shut off and the ignition was off too, the car had completely shut itself down. Not sure why though?

2018 registered, MY2017 GT with about 6,000 miles on the clock. What would cause it to cut out?

Does the car have sensors that prevent it from idling for that long?
Or does it have sensors that pick up on the car being in an enclosed space (my garage) and shut off to prevent suicide?
Or has something gone wrong to cause this?

I started it up again after and it was absolutely fine. Strange though and now I can't work out what caused it.

Anyone else know?
Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I could be wrong here but I am sure I read something about the mustang cutting the engine if sat idle for an extended period.

OP
OP
TREMAiNE

TREMAiNE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Porsche Cayenne, 1989 E30 320 Race Car
I could be wrong here but I am sure I read something about the mustang cutting the engine if sat idle for an extended period.
I just did what I should have done before posting and done a bit of research.
It does appear that the engine cuts out after 30 mins idle and the ignition and electrics cut out after an additional 10 minutes.

Panic over.

jonny10buds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1972 Lincoln Continental MkIV, 2010 Honda Accord (daily driver)
It does appear that the engine cuts out after 30 mins idle and the ignition and electrics cut out after an additional 10 minutes.

Panic over.
You can override this in your settings menu but it’s not a bad feature to leave enabled

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)

Panic over.
Knew id read this! I'm guilty of the same! Hyper sensitive when it comes to my Mustang!

Sponsored

StuStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS
I'd imagine that it's the same for all fords, I had this pop up on my old RS when it had been idling for a while
20190606_075932.jpg
Sponsored