Sponsored

Thoughts on the new Odin TVS blower making less then Whipple TQ?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think this is getting across...if anything over 500 ftlb just results in tire spin, then what’s the difference between 520 and 540?
Good responses from Mark and yourself. Appreciated.

I think the difference lies here:
As Mark said, first and second gears are redundant.
This makes third gear the go-to when you want to go WOT, provided that you aren’t making enough torque to break traction as you’ve highlighted.

Mathematically, a 3.55 MT82 on a 28.1” tyre will hit ~ 110mph in third.
So, for Joe Bloggs who wants to go WOT in third, he wants to be making as much torque as the road surface will allow.
Ideally, Joe’s going to want that peak torque to happen lower in the rev range so that he doesn’t have to be carrying as much speed when he goes WOT (because he wants to keep his license).

Using the graph from #36.

Scenario 1:
Let’s also assume that the Eddy is at the absolute limit of grip when it’s producing its peak torque. This would mean that the Eddy (in this case) offers more acceleration from 2500rpm to roughly 5500rpm.
Or, expressed differently 35mph - 76mph, representing basically most speeds that most drivers on public roads are going to be driving at. We know that downshifting isn’t an option, because traction. Whipple has the advantage from 76-111mph of course, but this assumes that both car decided to go WOT at 76mph. If they went WOT at 35, I’m not convinced that the Whipple would get in front at any point in third, but clearly the shift to 4th would change things up.

Scenario 2:
Whipple torque represents the limit of grip.
Unless the Eddy guy is damned good on the throttle, Whipple guy will produce the most acceleration across the board, wins every race, every metric.

For absolute clarity, I’m not asserting that this is perfect. Change the diff ratios or nearly any parameter in the equation and things might look quite different.

As I said from the very start, it’s not about TVS vs Whipple. It’s about being realistic with what YOU want from YOUR car, which is precisely why the racing crew with their DR’s, auto boxes/high stalls and delayed torque can’t see what the deal is, in the same way that I don’t see how peak horsepower figures are the be-all end-all for a car that needs flexibility.

@Meatball seems to get it perfectly and I totally agree with him that the rapidly diminishing horsepower curve on that Eddy is quite disgusting, which is why using that chart a few years ago had me buy a Whipple. The release of the modular inlet 2650 changed that significantly, making it far more flexible for MY purposes but if we’re talking a 10r80 car On the strip, I think you’d be hard pressed to make a good case against a Whipple or maybe even a KB if we’re talking PD blowers exclusively.

Each to their own, do as you must. Build a car that suits the way you drive it.
Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
The contradiction of your want of the most torque possible, and the not wanting to use gearing available to you to increase the applied torque, is mind boggling. The throttle is not an on/off switch.

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
Yeah, I might have to go back to school and learn how less g’s means more acceleration.
No skin off my back. For me the diff between odin and whipple would be which one looked/sounded better when running the included tune. ATM, the whipple sounds better on bullitts, but they have had more time with the platform. I think odin will take time to tune for the right sound (without copying the whipple sound). If they get the sound down, paint it green, market it as GUNGNIR or POSEIDON, and still offer the vacation package, they gain marks in my book.

I only made note of the math because... I can see the future....

(not really, I just remember the days of mIRC)

Jbcain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
6.7psd, 3.0eco
Good wake up read. As with most forums, there's guys that are exceptional in their presentations and then there's not.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
(not really, I just remember the days of mIRC)
Two totally off topic comments:

1) The daughter on this end likes your Kurokuma avatar :D

2) I was all over IRC back in the day (funny enough, it's become a thing again, as a off-the-mainstream communication mechanism ...)

Sponsored

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
Two totally off topic comments:

1) The daughter on this end likes your Kurokuma avatar :D

2) I was all over IRC back in the day (funny enough, it's become a thing again, as a off-the-mainstream communication mechanism ...)
1) She was the first to pick it up across multiple forums. I have been an Atlus fan since "Thousand Arms". Your avi brings up good memories of cell animation and bad dubs. I might dip back into mIRC, but these days there is no telling what is going on in those servers.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Funny thing is that its quite possible that centrifugals at the track might see more Gs than Burkey. Because so many things play into it not just the cars tUrkZ on the dyno. Gearing, converter, weight, traction, suspension, etc.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Funny thing is that its quite possible that centrifugals at the track might see more Gs than Burkey. Because so many things play into it not just the cars tUrkZ on the dyno. Gearing, converter, weight, traction, suspension, etc.
I don’t doubt it would. Yours (for example) would flog mine stupid in probably every metric I can think of.

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Starkey using made up stuff in his advertsiments again?????? Glad Kenne Bell finally put them in their place for their lack of integrity and using proper methods in their videos / claims.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
i've never really cared about "torque" car is gonna run good no matter what power adder you put on there. we probably make less torque than anyone in the 8 sec range, and have the 2nd quickest s/c car....

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
i've never really cared about "torque" car is gonna run good no matter what power adder you put on there. we probably make less torque than anyone in the 8 sec range, and have the 2nd quickest s/c car....
@Burkey will say "but does it throw you back in the seat?".....

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Interesting video and information. Didn't realize this was an issue from the Starkey camp.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Beefcake be like lemme just drop this Centri bomb in here and watch the world burn! LOL

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Starkey using made up stuff in his advertsiments again?????? Glad Kenne Bell finally put them in their place for their lack of integrity and using proper methods in their videos / claims.

SHOTS FIRED!!!

That being said, I did not see them put the entire unit on the scale....

So lets devote the tread to some impartial testing parameters
  1. Have both companies hand them off their SCs to impartial buyers (people who have never ran forced induction)
    1. Same tuner
    2. Same gas pump
    3. Same everything
      1. Even color because we know that blue is faster than red:fistbump:
  2. Run 5 dynos at 3 separate shops (total of 15 dynos per build)
    1. Collect all the LT Datas!!!!
  3. Run 5 laps at 3 separate road courses (total of 15 laps per car)
    1. Collect all the LCDR Datas!!!!
  4. Run 5 1/8 & 5 1/4 at 3 separate strips (total of 15 pulls)
    1. Collect all the Commander Datas!!!
  5. ........
  6. ........
----WAIT... WHY WE DOING THIS AGAIN. CAN'T WE JUST HAND THIS OFF TO THAT ENGINEERING EXPLAINED GUY???
JwRfI.png
Sponsored