RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
What a beautifully explained answer! Thank you so much!

Seems like a pro tune would be the best option? That way I can contact the Pro-Tuner, and send files directly about my car. - Where can I get one? - Or direct me to the best type/a list of some to choose from.
And most definitely for the looks and the sound, haha! - Will..it hinder my performance? (The CAI)
|
Most who've tried multiple options recommend jumping straight to the pro tune. The two tuners I see recommended most are Tune+ and PD Tuning. Both use the Cobb Accesspoint for datalogging, loading the tune, etc., so you'd need a Cobb Accessport. The Accessport does have some built in generic stage 1/2/3 tunes. Some people like to run those for a little while they decide the next step, or save for the pro turn, etc.

Someone did back to back dyno tests a couple years ago showing the factory intake made about 7-8 whp more than aftermarket. Not really a big deal if you really want the looks. Who knows, maybe some of the newer ones are a little better.
Sponsored

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Race Red EcoBoost Premium
Most who've tried multiple options recommend jumping straight to the pro tune. The two tuners I see recommended most are Tune+ and PD Tuning. Both use the Cobb Accesspoint for datalogging, loading the tune, etc., so you'd need a Cobb Accessport. The Accessport does have some built in generic stage 1/2/3 tunes. Some people like to run those for a little while they decide the next step, or save for the pro turn, etc.

Someone did back to back dyno tests a couple years ago showing the factory intake made about 7-8 whp more than aftermarket. Not really a big deal if you really want the looks. Who knows, maybe some of the newer ones are a little better.
Thank you so much! - After buying the Cobb, how much more $ for a pro-tune? - Based in my situation, would you say it’s worth all the money?

And with a tune, wouldn’t an Airraid Intake be able to handle more (with tune)?

Once again, thank you.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
And with a tune, wouldn’t an Airraid Intake be able to handle more (with tune)?
not in the slightest. A tune doesn't change the physical properties of a hunk of plastic nor magically change the nature of the air flowing threw it. A tune changes the input parameters of the engine (timing advance, spark timing, fuel cycle duration) such that IF there are any more efficiencies to be had by reaching outside the factory parameter ranges (or ramping faster toward those limits) it'll try to discover them. CAIs are generally worthless, but they are fantastic means of separating the inexhaustible supply of clueless from their money.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I went from just an intercooler to a pro tune. Used the Cobb stage one for about a week until my initial protune was ready, then jumped in. Pro tune is leaps and bounds better than the Cobb tune. No regrets. On my 5th revision and loving it. Should be nearly dialed in. Maybe one or two more to go

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Less than 100 miles later on the tune, the car threw two rods out at 2/3rds throttle in 3rd gear after leaving a stoplight on the way to get ice cream with the family. The car surged/bucked/stuttered and then white smoke. I knew what had happened when I heard the metallic clanging .

I ordered a new crate motor that's getting installed along with the stock tune going back in. I paid $600+ dollars for a "safe" tune and the engine let go. Best of luck guys.
A couple pics of the carnage. It turned out to be a bad Ford Performance tune (boost/fuel) from the logs. New crate engine is in and stock tune flashed back in.
received_176848336929502.jpeg
received_213954289786582.jpeg

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
aren't all the tunes the same over the air? means there needs to be a revision.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It turned out to be a bad Ford Performance tune (boost/fuel) from the logs.
so Ford is picking up that tab? I've had my EB do wierd stuff from time to time - run really jagged at small throttle inputs - coming out and in the throttle. A tune is only as 'good' as its inputs and I'm wondering if there aren't some gremlins in the sensors or wastegate behavior that are causing a bad confluence of inputs which cause the maps to do bad things.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I think the tune stays the same, but as parts wear or sensors get dirty or corode. maybe things start to read differently and the computer tries to compensate more or less causing an issue.

im not sure what's going on at the moment with my car, 17 ecoboost mustang, w ford tune. but im getting like 22mpg on highway, could be a batch of bad gas, I just got new tires maybe they gotta break in, etc.. not really sure yet. Car drives fine though.

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
so Ford is picking up that tab? I've had my EB do wierd stuff from time to time - run really jagged at small throttle inputs - coming out and in the throttle. A tune is only as 'good' as its inputs and I'm wondering if there aren't some gremlins in the sensors or wastegate behavior that are causing a bad confluence of inputs which cause the maps to do bad things.
Nope, I paid out of pocket for a new Ford crate engine. The worst part was waiting 6 months for the new engine to arrive due to being on backorder forever. If it'd been a 5.0, I could've had a new crate engine in less than a week.
Oh well, lesson learned and the family cruiser got a new engine.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, I paid out of pocket for a new Ford crate engine. The worst part was waiting 6 months for the new engine to arrive due to being on backorder forever. If it'd been a 5.0, I could've had a new crate engine in less than a week.
Oh well, lesson learned and the family cruiser got a new engine.

May I ask how much a crate engine is? Incase mine blew up. How much to get installed and everything?

Sponsored

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
aren't all the tunes the same over the air? means there needs to be a revision.
Not sure what you mean by "over the air," but I'm also confused by @PTM5.0's situation. I also thought all Ford Performance tunes were the same, so I'm unsure how you can get a "bad" one. It's also often referenced as the "safest" option, as it's reported to be somewhat on the conservative side. I'm wondering if there wasn't perhaps some other defect at play that happened to coincide with the tune, or for whatever reason was exacerbated by the tune. I think I would have explored it further, before dropping in a new engine out-of-pocket, but I understand that it's his daily driver, and obviously he chose to absorb the financial hit.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what you mean by "over the air," but I'm also confused by @PTM5.0's situation. I also thought all Ford Performance tunes were the same, so I'm unsure how you can get a "bad" one. It's also often referenced as the "safest" option, as it's reported to be somewhat on the conservative side. I'm wondering if there wasn't perhaps some other defect at play that happened to coincide with the tune, or for whatever reason was exacerbated by the tune. I think I would have explored it further, before dropping in a new engine out-of-pocket, but I understand that it's his daily driver, and obviously he chose to absorb the financial hit.

OTA- over the air, meant what you just said. everyones is the same. yeah, there's updates, but anyone can update the tune, via over the air, wirelessly downloaded etc. is what I meant. standard download, vs datalogging/refining/datalogging/refining. just a standard flashed file, one and done.

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
OTA- over the air, meant what you just said. everyones is the same. yeah, there's updates, but anyone can update the tune, via over the air, wirelessly downloaded etc. is what I meant. standard download, vs datalogging/refining/datalogging/refining. just a standard flashed file, one and done.
Got it, thanks. For some reason, I thought it was purchased in a static format, like a thumb drive. Yeah, download makes sense, and I guess that allows for updates.

Last edited:

krack999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
I've been watching these engine failures. They seem to really have the same failure mode. They are catastrophic. I believe several factors are causing it, but, I see this and now believe the biggest one is LSPI.

I told myself I wouldn't do it, but, I decided to become an Amsoil user. They just have the best protection against it. I'll just pay the extra $100 per year in oil changes along with the extended range Mobil1 oil filter. Probably need to look into that Ford catch can as well.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
I've been watching these engine failures. They seem to really have the same failure mode. They are catastrophic. I believe several factors are causing it, but, I see this and now believe the biggest one is LSPI.

I told myself I wouldn't do it, but, I decided to become an Amsoil user. They just have the best protection against it. I'll just pay the extra $100 per year in oil changes along with the extended range Mobil1 oil filter. Probably need to look into that Ford catch can as well.
No boutique oil is going to save you from this. The best thing you can do is keep the car on a stock tune, run a bigger IC, 93oct (if available), and synthetic changed every 5k. These failures do not seem to care who the tuner is though I do see it more on the FP tune most likely because it is canned. It's undeniable that most of your high mileage EB 2.3s are all stock tune. Most of your modern synthetics are rated for modern GDI turbo engines. I have also seen plenty of LSPI failures with Amsoil fans. These failures are a result of several factors which all involve cost cutting. The 2.3 EB is basically a fairly high compression ratio boosted engine running on a paper thin open deck block (which is not a problem if the block is meaty), severely undersized turbo trying to mimic linear V8 power delivery which causes high load low rpm conditions, and fuel dilution (which almost all GDI cars suffer from to an extent). On a thread GlennG covered a while back he showed how a Ford engineer stated how their hands were tied sandbagging this engine so it does not get into Coyote territory and to allow the use of average Joes to use 87oct (hence thinner block for cooling to allow use of low octane). This engine was originally intended to be 450-475HP on 93oct only.

If one wants to make a 2.3 built to have reliable power they would have to address the paper thin block; I see most are using semi-closed deck Focus ST 2.0 blocks/Fusion 2.0T blocks and bumping the displacement back up to 2.3L. However there is also another possible cheaper route. Depending on how similar our 2.3GDI head is to an naturally aspirated Focus 2.0 GDI head, we could potentially bolt our 2.3 head onto a 07-12 Fusion 2.5L n/a block. A known tuner in the MK1 Focus world has already used a 2.0GDI head with a 2.5L Fusion block built for boost that can take 600+ HP. Why a Fusion 2.5 block you ask? It is much more meatier than even the upgraded semi-deck 2.0 ST blocks most are using (it's almost like it's meant for boost), the bump in displacement from 2.3L despite only being +.2L is a huge difference in torque which would help the heavier S550 platform for an engine originally sized for a Focus, 2.5L Fusions are abundant/will be for a long time, and these can be built to handle 600+hp and even without building are still safer/stronger than our stock 2.3L thin bottom ends. Either way building the bottom end is the only way I would go passed a tune on these cars seeing countless failures, there's a reason some reputable tuners want to wipe their hands clean from this engine. They know it is already running on bleeding edge and Ford intended it to be a strong daily driver w/ decent MPGs and not to ever step into Coyote territory. Building the bottom end will not put a stop to the LSPI conditions but it will make them much less of a concern as the components can handle more abuse and give the ability to actually modify your car with much higher safety windows.
Sponsored