William518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought my first Mustang since high school back in the 90's! As much as I love this car, I am very unhappy with the stock audio system. Mine is the base 6-speaker system without the touch screen. I don't mind the interface of the head unit and don't want to spend a fortune at the moment, but I'd like to add some low end bump to the system. Does anyone have a suggestion that would be under $500?
Sponsored

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
The cheapest and easiest solution to start is swapout the door speakers ...

Different cars but changing the door speakers on my wifes 2014 Premium audio made a big difference, even she could tell the difference ..

The stockers are that much crap.

Adams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Unless you're amplifying the speakers you're going to swap out you aren't going to notice a damn bit of difference.

Last edited:

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I swapped all 6 with two sets of Pioneer D-Series speakers, because they have a low end response down to 30Hz without really needing a Sub to hear/feel lower frequencies. Most very expensive speakers, like Focal and even JBL only respond down to 40-60Hz, and tend to have a more shrill top end. The assumption with these speakers is you are going to install a Sub-woofer. If you want to keep it stock with a 6-speaker setup, get a quality set of speakers that go down to 30Hz response.

The second thing you MUST do to get that lower end base, is use Forscan to equalize your existing stereos' programmed frequency cut off to the rear speakers.

This is a link to my installation to show you how I did everything. Read through very carefully to understand why I did everything I did, because the rear deck speakers ARE NOT direct replacement and require some modification to the rear deck cover.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/pioneer-d-series-upgrade.126069/

After this install, the stereo immediately sounded far superior to the stock stereo, and easily rivals the 9-speaker setup, and in some ways better without the annoying center channel to deal with.

After this was done, I upgraded the head unit. This head unit is adequate, since I like the navigation. However, the sound quality is only a tiny bit better than the stock stereo, The real difference in getting better sound is the speaker upgrade and Forscan programming.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/phoenix-px6-review.133580/

OP
OP
William518

William518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you're amplifying the speakers you're going to swap out you aren't going to notice a damn bit of difference.
After reading everyone's comments and other posts, I'm going to start with adding a Kenwood amplifier.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAM1814/Kenwood-KAC-M1814.html

My next question. Should I use this to power the front 4 speakers and ignore the rear for now?

I plan to upgrade on stages due to my budget.

1. Amp
2. Speakers
3. Head unit (although I really don't dislike to stock unit)

Sponsored

Adams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
After reading everyone's comments and other posts, I'm going to start with adding a Kenwood amplifier.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAM1814/Kenwood-KAC-M1814.html

My next question. Should I use this to power the front 4 speakers and ignore the rear for now?

I plan to upgrade on stages due to my budget.

1. Amp
2. Speakers
3. Head unit (although I really don't dislike to stock unit)
do you ever have people in your backseat? Rear speakers are kind of pointless if you donā€™t. They can be set up to add a little rear full noise but generally you want the sound coming from in front of you. Hence why DSPs have time alignment.

MustangorCamaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
OP did you ever consider the Tesla type screen replacement? It's my understanding just adding that and using the stock speakers is a decent upgrade. Costs around $500 I think.

OP
OP
William518

William518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
OP did you ever consider the Tesla type screen replacement? It's my understanding just adding that and using the stock speakers is a decent upgrade. Costs around $500 I think.
I feel like a noob for asking this but what is a Tesla type screen?

OP
OP
William518

William518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My amp and speakers are arriving today and I haven't yet decided where to place the amplifier. I'm only replacing the front 4 speakers, so it makes no sense to put the amp in the trunk.

My initial thought was to mount it inside the glove box. I've searched online, but do not see that anyone has shared pictures or experiences in doing this.

Where would be a good place to mount this Amp?

Kenwood KAC-M1814

Sponsored

Adams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
My amp and speakers are arriving today and I haven't yet decided where to place the amplifier. I'm only replacing the front 4 speakers, so it makes no sense to put the amp in the trunk.

My initial thought was to mount it inside the glove box. I've searched online, but do not see that anyone has shared pictures or experiences in doing this.

Where would be a good place to mount this Amp?

Kenwood KAC-M1814
Under one of the front seats. Pulling the seat out takes 5 minutes.

Adams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I'm currently stuck and my Google searches are not helping.

I have everything installed but the amplifier isn't turning on. The instructions said that I didn't need to use the 'remote power' wire.

I'm looking for a place to slice in the remote power wire without going all the way to the fuse box.

Any suggestions on where to connect this wire?
Use a ā€˜Tap a fuseā€™ in the passenger footwell fuse panel. I think itā€™s #36 but I canā€™t remember. Easy to test either way.

OP
OP
William518

William518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's finally done. I don't remember if it was #36 that I used, but I did finally find a fuse location to use. I still want to add a sub at some point, but this is a good first step. Thanks everyone for the help!

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So, where did you mount the amp? Were you able to put it in the glove box?

OP
OP
William518

William518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So, where did you mount the amp? Were you able to put it in the glove box?
I was able to mount the amp in the little drawer where the owner's manual was and the line out converter is mounted to the back of the glove box. I'll take a picture to it.
Sponsored