2017 ecoboost mustang premium
And yes only use 91 octane
Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Dayum that is some serious bad luck. I'd get another used engine and sell the car. She's got bad voodoo.

BLU-PNY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang premium vert, 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2006 Mazda Miata
I was going to ask you why used engines, but looks like over 36k miles so no FPP warrany I assume. While there are online tales of ecoboom, there are a TON of tuned ecoboosts with much more extensive mods than you that run reliably.

There has got to be something else going on with your car....or.....something very funky about your particular tune. Did you purchase the tune new and have it installed? Do you have a copy of stock tune that you can reinstall?

Last edited:

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
My 2016 Ecoboost has been great from the day I took it home, almost 40,000 miles and the engine seems better than ever, It really seems faster than the 310hp rating.

I would say drop the tune and or just bad luck on your part.

TC

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
A blown head gasket is NOT a blown motor. The 2.3's have the head bolted to the block and under heavy load the head can flex casing damage to the gasket. There are a lot of tuned EB enthusiasts who remove the head bolts and install studs which don't allow the head to flex. So getting back on subject what happened to your first motor after the head gasket blew.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mustang_Jay

Mustang_Jay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
A blown head gasket is NOT a blown motor. The 2.3's have the head bolted to the block and under heavy load the head can flex casing damage to the gasket. There are a lot of tuned EB enthusiasts who remove the head bolts and install studs which don't allow the head to flex. So getting back on subject what happened to your first motor after the head gasket blew.
I have warranty through silverrock they replaced the blown head gasket engine with the 1st engine that blew up then replaced that engine with 2nd engine that blew. Now the 2nd engine had no check engine light or odd sounds at the time it decides to blow on me while driving I'm gonna have to just keep FB tune off this next engine and drive like a grandma until I can sell it

OP
OP
Mustang_Jay

Mustang_Jay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
I have warranty through silverrock they replaced the blown head gasket engine with the 1st engine that blew up then replaced that engine with 2nd engine that blew. Now the 2nd engine had no check engine light or odd sounds at the time it decides to blow on me while driving I'm gonna have to just keep FB tune off this next engine and drive like a grandma until I can sell it
I mean FP tune

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Do you lug the engine? What rpm do you shift at?

TunedN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jet
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3L, 2013 Ford Focus SEL, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
There are only a few possibilities I can think of. You're using the wrong octane fuel. You have a dishonest mechanic who thinks warranty = endless income. One of your sensors is bad and making your tune too hot. Your driving style is abusive. IDK

I've done all my own upgrades since every car I take to a mechanic ends up having another problem within months or the maintenance just isn't up to par. Since I've started working on my own vehicles, parts RARELY fail.
I have far more mods and never had any issues with my EcoBoost,
other than being too lazy to replace the pilot bearing and now kicking myself. I think the throwout bearing has a poor design due to no bleeder valve. Other than that, no complaints. I haven't dyno'd yet since I'm not done with mods for a pro tune, buy to me these cars feel weak. If you want pep, mod an ecoboost; if you want power, mod a GT. For a street car I'm happy with my 400ish hp and better MPG than a GT.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
You're replacing a blown engine with a used engine of unknown provenance. You have no idea how those other engines were treated. Were they previously tuned? Used for racing? Where they rebuilt, or installed in your car as is? Presumably, they were taken out of totaled wrecks; were they damaged in the accident? Who knows?

The bottom line is there are far, far too many variables in your particular situation to allow any useful insights into why your engines keep failing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
How much more would a 5.0 engine cost you (if that’s allowed to pay the difference). You’re gonna have diminished value trading it in having gone through 2 engines previously.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
How much more would a 5.0 engine cost you (if that’s allowed to pay the difference). You’re gonna have diminished value trading it in having gone through 2 engines previously.
Unfortunately, swapping in a 5.0 is just not that simple. Required at a minimum would be a new exhaust, new wiring harness and a new ECM. If the OP wants a 5.0 car the best bet is going to be get this engine replaced and sell it for a GT. The diminished value hit would be less than the increased cost of the engine, parts and labor for a swap.
Were it mine I'd absolutely be looking at getting rid of that demon car.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Out if curiosity, do you always get gas from the same gas station or vendor? Did you recently fill up with gas just prior to any of the failures?

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
A blown head gasket is not a "blown engine" and as far as I know does not require engine replacement? Why did they replace the 1st engine instead of replacing the head gasket?

1st engine blown head gasket
2nd engine (used 55k miles) blew up with 300 miles on it

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Maybe go back to the stock tune?
Sponsored