Sponsored

Wrapping unpainted parts

drak24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang V6
So I ordered a new hood, front bumper and fenders for my 2015, my intention is to wrap the pieces in the color I'm going to wrap the whole car. I don't have to have those pieces painted first before wrapping right? And my other concern is if the fitment will be good without any body work from a shop, so are unpainted pieces usually fine in terms of fitting? The parts that I have ordered are:

Cervini's GT-500 hood
I-5 AutoHaus GT-500 Front conversion
Advan-Emotion GT-350 vented fenders
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Fit shouldn't be an issue, these are made to fit right from the factory. From what I've read, vinyl is fine on unpainted plastics/ABS/non-metals. It should stick without any issue as long as it's clean and smooth. I don't know about removing it or changing it though if it'll be hard to get the glue off an unpainted/unprimed surface vs. a clear-coat. Metal should be at least primed to prevent moisture seeping in and causing corrosion. So those fenders you'll probably want to at least prime them as I think those have to be steel?
https://www.amazon.com/GT350-Fender-Mustang-2015-2017-Scoops/dp/B076DHDJJ6 These?

Drake Muscle Cars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Food for thought on this - if you are wrapping the parts a lighter color, the color of the unpainted parts will affect the cast of the vinyl. For example, if the car is a dark paint color and the hood is in a white gelcoat, the hood will contrast the body even when it's all wrapped the same material. Darker wrap colors shouldn't be impacted as drastically.

OP
OP

drak24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang V6
Fit shouldn't be an issue, these are made to fit right from the factory. From what I've read, vinyl is fine on unpainted plastics/ABS/non-metals. It should stick without any issue as long as it's clean and smooth. I don't know about removing it or changing it though if it'll be hard to get the glue off an unpainted/unprimed surface vs. a clear-coat. Metal should be at least primed to prevent moisture seeping in and causing corrosion. So those fenders you'll probably want to at least prime them as I think those have to be steel?
https://www.amazon.com/GT350-Fender-Mustang-2015-2017-Scoops/dp/B076DHDJJ6 These?
Yep, those are the ones. Thanks for the info. I just don't want to wrap it then have issues with it sticking and staying on. Also yea removing it hopefully shouldn't be an issue. I might just prime and sand to be on the safe side.

OP
OP

drak24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang V6
Food for thought on this - if you are wrapping the parts a lighter color, the color of the unpainted parts will affect the cast of the vinyl. For example, if the car is a dark paint color and the hood is in a white gelcoat, the hood will contrast the body even when it's all wrapped the same material. Darker wrap colors shouldn't be impacted as drastically.
I'm actually gonna wrap it the same color green as the car in your profile pic. But yea, the hood is white gelcoat, so I'm again thinking about priming everything and wet sanding just to be on the safe side.

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Forgot to mention I've wrapped base ABS plastic items that I've had on the outside of the car and there were never any sticking issues, even with sharp corners/edges. At least until I hit a deer with it.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
So I ordered a new hood, front bumper and fenders for my 2015, my intention is to wrap the pieces in the color I'm going to wrap the whole car. I don't have to have those pieces painted first before wrapping right? And my other concern is if the fitment will be good without any body work from a shop, so are unpainted pieces usually fine in terms of fitting? The parts that I have ordered are:

Cervini's GT-500 hood
I-5 AutoHaus GT-500 Front conversion
Advan-Emotion GT-350 vented fenders
Did you order the louver on the hood unpainted, or painted matte? Curious what unpainted looks like.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
Unpainted
20200331-215410.jpg
Thanks! Would you consider it a decent match for the glossy black parts that come stock, or does it need to be painted glossy black? Hard to tell in the pic.

OP
OP

drak24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang V6
Thanks! Would you consider it a decent match for the glossy black parts that come stock, or does it need to be painted glossy black? Hard to tell in the pic.
Definitely needs to be painted over, even wet sanded if you're looking for a completely smooth finish.

20200402-165435.jpg
20200402-165445.jpg

Sponsored

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
How would wrapping the plastic pieces like the side skirts hold up?

OP
OP

drak24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang V6
How would wrapping the plastic pieces like the side skirts hold up?
I'd imagine if you primer them, they'd hold on fine. Though personally, for side skirts I'd just paint them. Currently thinking about on painting my stock ones gloss black.
Sponsored