Status
Not open for further replies.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
I would think so too. I talked to this lady in New York working from home and she said it really is not a big deal there. Most everyone gets better of all the cases. Mainly old people that are bad off. Which in my view would have died if they got the flu. Since 60,000 people died of the flu last year, this thing has a long way to go to equal that.
20,000 Americans
Sponsored

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
20,000 Americans
Wrong.

Flu season in the US, which runs from October through May, claims tens of thousands of lives every year. This season CDC estimates that, as of mid-March, between 29,000 and 59,000 have died due to influenza illnesses.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
Wrong.

Flu season in the US, which runs from October through May, claims tens of thousands of lives every year. This season CDC estimates that, as of mid-March, between 29,000 and 59,000 have died due to influenza illnesses.
Published that in the 2019 flu season 20,000 Americans died including 134 children.

So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.Feb 11, 2020

more updated numbers, it is still flu season and last I checked was at 20k. Still a long way from 59000, which makes influenza more deadly per capita in the US than CV19 so far

Last edited:

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wrong.

Your own chart says 24,000 - 59,000, not 29,000. the low end puts it right around what I said.

Sponsored

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
the virus can only live attached to a host.
Now just take a step back and think about what you have just said !

It would be a pretty poor pathogen that could only remain viable when attached to the host - how would it pass from person to person ?

The virus can remain viable for hours to days on surfaces - the surface determines how long, so on hard surfaces it lasts longer. COVID has a fatty component to the protective surface which is why simple soap is an effective 'COVID killer'

There has been debate for years about whether a virus is actually alive or just a chemical. They are extremely simple with in the case of COVID an RNA core surrounded by a coating that preserves the RNA (or DNA) whilst moving between hosts. Without the host cell the virus is unable to replicate, it literally takes over the host cell and uses the infrastructure to replicate itself.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
If I hear him say it, I'll be mlre inclined to believe you. The other problem is that Ben Carson and Faluci haven't confirmed a single thing you said. Also, U.S. medicine is more credible than other nations.
Ah, so if you didn't hear it, it can't be true. Did anybody tell you the sun was going to come up this morning ?

As regards the second sentence - the credibility is determined by the validated efficacy no matter who or where you are.

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Now just take a step back and think about what you have just said !

It would be a pretty poor pathogen that could only remain viable when attached to the host - how would it pass from person to person ?

The virus can remain viable for hours to days on surfaces - the surface determines how long, so on hard surfaces it lasts longer. COVID has a fatty component to the protective surface which is why simple soap is an effective 'COVID killer'

There has been debate for years about whether a virus is actually alive or just a chemical. They are extremely simple with in the case of COVID an RNA core surrounded by a coating that preserves the RNA (or DNA) whilst moving between hosts. Without the host cell the virus is unable to replicate, it literally takes over the host cell and uses the infrastructure to replicate itself.
You obviously did not read all of my posts where I said that what I have read that between 4 hours to 9 days in some cases it can live before it dies. But the statement that any virus cannot live without a host, long term, is a well know fact. So why are you arguing unless you just have to be right about everything.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
You obviously did not read all of my posts where I said that what I have read that between 4 hours to 9 days in some cases it can live before it dies. But the statement that any virus cannot live without a host, long term, is a well know fact. So why are you arguing unless you just have to be right about everything.
Missed that post so apologies

Technically viable really as per my post - are viruses ever really alive ?

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Missed that post so apologies

Technically viable really as per my post - are viruses ever really alive ?
NP

I am a Software Engineer and deal with researched facts. If I post something that starts with, " I say" or "I predict", then it is an opinion to be sure. Otherwise, I read and copy facts and post to share with people. And facts are usually numbers or stats. They do not have an opinion.

Cheers

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
NP

I am a Software Engineer and deal with researched facts. If I post something that starts with, " I say" or "I predict", then it is an opinion to be sure. Otherwise, I read and copy facts and post to share with people. And facts are usually numbers or stats. They do not have an opinion.

Cheers
I'm a graduate with a medically based degree including epidemiology, virology and quite a few other 'ologies' and have posted what I hope have been helpful bits of information, although sometimes a few people struggle to distinguish disease and politics or even that anybody outside the US could have an opinion valid in the US (not you I hasten to add). I have some good friends on your side of the pond in the medical and related industries so the current situation obviously concerns us all.:thumbsup:

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'm a graduate with a medically based degree including epidemiology, virology and quite a few other 'ologies' and have posted what I hope have been helpful bits of information, although sometimes a few people struggle to distinguish disease and politics or even that anybody outside the US could have an opinion valid in the US (not you I hasten to add). I have some good friends on your side of the pond in the medical and related industries so the current situation obviously concerns us all.:thumbsup:
I am glad to see, someone as yourself, posting on here that knows first hand information about this subject.

If you are in the UK, go down to the Brighton pier and have a pint on me. I used to live there for small stay when I worked for IBM.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I am glad to see, someone as yourself, posting on here that knows first hand information about this subject.

If you are in the UK, go down to the Brighton pier and have a pint on me. I used to live there for small stay when I worked for IBM.
I'm a bit further west in Wiltshire, but all pubs are closed, so it would have to be a theoretical pint ! :beer:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.