Sponsored

This headline made me sad (CAFE standards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
We should just relish in the thought that we are living in the peak of the muscle car era and we are in the financial arena to enjoy it. Those guys in the 60's and 70's got nothing on these cars today.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
We should just relish in the thought that we are living in the peak of the muscle car era and we are in the financial arena to enjoy it. Those guys in the 60's and 70's got nothing on these cars today.
Oh I'm glad we have the cars we do. Don't get me wrong. I'm just annoyed that a small percentage of people are controlling this. I see the 70s revisited and coming our way. Sales of pickups and SUVs are huge and even small cars make a lot of power. Every car on the road could be a lot more fuel efficient if they all had lower power motors. But people don't want small cars with low power. People don't want fuel - sipping cars. I should say - some people do, but the majority do NOT.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Oh I'm glad we have the cars we do. Don't get me wrong. I'm just annoyed that a small percentage of people are controlling this. I see the 70s revisited and coming our way. Sales of pickups and SUVs are huge and even small cars make a lot of power. Every car on the road could be a lot more fuel efficient if they all had lower power motors. But people don't want small cars with low power. People don't want fuel - sipping cars. I should say - some people do, but the majority do NOT.
I think it depends where you live. In a congested city where you can't get much above 30mph there is no point having anything other than a small economical car. My son lives in London and rarely gets into 4th gear never mind anything higher so to him fuel economy is king.

Europe has had a big move to smaller engines but higher output engines, in fact Ford's Ecoboost 999cc triple has been a massive success winning huge numbers of awards - quite rightly so as it is a gem of an engine.

Fuel price makes a big difference too, when you pay £1.35 a litre for petrol it takes a big chunk of your income and the less fuel it sips the better

I actually like both - there is a time and place for a small car with a small engine that can be fun as well as the opposite set up. James Hunt (ex F1 World Champion from 1976) used to drive an Austin A35 which was a pretty terrible little car, but he enjoyed it because he could drive it on the limit and nobody noticed !

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Actually it is good,
I come from a time when if you got 16 mpg you had to drive imported tin can. Now I drive a V8 Mustang that is averaging close to 23 MPG since purchase. My other car, a 2006 Mercury V8 I average 23 mpg. My commercial vehicle averages close to 7 mpg.
Without the push this wouldn't happen, technology is a beautiful thing.

Plus our hi-performance market is very small.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think it depends where you live. In a congested city where you can't get much above 30mph there is no point having anything other than a small economical car. My son lives in London and rarely gets into 4th gear never mind anything higher so to him fuel economy is king.

Europe has had a big move to smaller engines but higher output engines, in fact Ford's Ecoboost 999cc triple has been a massive success winning huge numbers of awards - quite rightly so as it is a gem of an engine.

Fuel price makes a big difference too, when you pay £1.35 a litre for petrol it takes a big chunk of your income and the less fuel it sips the better

I actually like both - there is a time and place for a small car with a small engine that can be fun as well as the opposite set up. James Hunt (ex F1 World Champion from 1976) used to drive an Austin A35 which was a pretty terrible little car, but he enjoyed it because he could drive it on the limit and nobody noticed !
If I lived in London or New York I probably wouldn't own a car. But that's an entirely different issue of convenience and cost rather than GOVERNMENT OVER REACH.

A 1 liter engine seems fine to me, but what I'm saying is most people in the US don't want that. I would consider one - in a motorcycle.

Our fuel is still cheap because the government isn't loading us up with taxes on it.

I like my Fiesta but I would like it more with a larger and more powerful engine.

Actually it is good,
I come from a time when if you got 16 mpg you had to drive imported tin can. Now I drive a V8 Mustang that is averaging close to 23 MPG since purchase. My other car, a 2006 Mercury V8 I average 23 mpg. My commercial vehicle averages close to 7 mpg.
Without the push this wouldn't happen, technology is a beautiful thing.

Plus our hi-performance market is very small.
I agree that technology is great. I was really irritated paying a gas guzzler tax on my GT350, and that car had plenty of technology for me. I think I averaged 17 mpg over all the time I owned it. That is plenty good enough fuel economy and 526 HP is not too much to ask for. I don't want direct injection or turbo. I want a little larger V8 to make closer to 600 HP. And no gas guzzler tax on it.

I'm not knocking modern technology - I'm against GOVERNMENT OVERREACH. I am really sick of government controlling every aspect of our lives. And there are many people in government who want to use Covid as a justification to further reduce our freedom.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
And we can say
If I lived in London or New York I probably wouldn't own a car. But that's an entirely different issue of convenience and cost rather than GOVERNMENT OVER REACH.

A 1 liter engine seems fine to me, but what I'm saying is most people in the US don't want that. I would consider one - in a motorcycle.

Our fuel is still cheap because the government isn't loading us up with taxes on it.

I like my Fiesta but I would like it more with a larger and more powerful engine.

I agree that technology is great. I was really irritated paying a gas guzzler tax on my GT350, and that car had plenty of technology for me. I think I averaged 17 mpg over all the time I owned it. That is plenty good enough fuel economy and 526 HP is not too much to ask for. I don't want direct injection or turbo. I want a little larger V8 to make closer to 600 HP. And no gas guzzler tax on it.

I'm not knocking modern technology - I'm against GOVERNMENT OVERREACH. I am really sick of government controlling every aspect of our lives. And there are many people in government who want to use Covid as a justification to further reduce our freedom.
Just the fact that the Big 3 can produce cars that are hitting 750+ horsepower is proof that government hasn't reached everywhere yet.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And we can say

Just the fact that the Big 3 can produce cars that are hitting 750+ horsepower is proof that government hasn't reached everywhere yet.
Right. I agree 100%. The thing I hate is - we asked for and got a real non-conformist President who isn't part of the good old boy network. He is generally governing fairly conservatively.

But his plan is for the fuel economy standards to get more stringent. Is that the best he can do? Very sad.

Basically Trump in this case is running us off the same cliff as the Democrats. He's just going a little more slowly towards that cliff.

Is it too much to ask to get the standards rolled back? The Dems are already portraying this as people are going to die and Trump is irresponsible. So why not do something real and get us back to better standards? Make standards that pickups, SUVs and cars all have to meet rather than excepting the trucks and SUVs from the standard. Loosen the standards so they are realistic and the vehicles people want to buy meet the standards. This will vastly improve things. Less expensive for the Big 3 to make vehicles, less expensive for people to buy them.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think you a way over analyzing it, they can set any standards they want, if cars don't meet them, they cost a little more. It's not really about saving the environment, it's about taxing us on the environment.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Thank gawd we have you to keep the clock of muscle cars and what they mean to an individual in focus.
Thanks Doc!
You must have some fancy college name on the phd diploma hanging in your garage

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank gawd we have you to keep the clock of muscle cars and what they mean to an individual in focus.
Thanks Doc!
You must have some fancy college name on the phd diploma hanging in your garage
Does Jetnoise refer to the sound that you make when you fart from your mouth?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.