Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

BlackStallion18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 5.0 Mustang w/Performance Package 1
Vehicle Showcase
Mine had it too but I haven't noticed it lately, it seems to come and go. Same thing with the ticking, it comes and goes as it pleases. I had my transmission rebuilt after about 4500 miles, because one day I was puling out of my driveway and it seemed to be stuck in first gear. The car would lunge forward and start to jerk when trying to shift into other gears. My local Ford dealership had my car for a month while I drove around a convertible ecoboost. The dealership was awesome though, they gave me plenty of updates via text message without me having to ask. The service manager even extended my warranty from a 3 year to a 5 year! It felt so good to get my baby back after what seemed like forever.
Sponsored

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Welp, I was up until 4am last night reading through every post on this thread. I have it too, and actually posted in the transmission area because I thought thatā€™s where it was coming from. 2 dealers have now had my car, and both say itā€™s ā€œnormalā€, although I have no faith in the 2nd dealer as my dash cam caught them lying that they put my car up on a lift.

I even did the tranny fluid change from Optimum Performance. Helped the shifting a little, did nothing for the rattle.
I have an appointment with another dealer tomorrow (the one where I actually bought the car), but Iā€™m wondering if I should even go. I can pretty easily ignore mine, itā€™s more subtle than some of the vids Iā€™ve seen here, but itā€™s definitely there. I do have the Ford ESP for 6/125k so Iā€™m not really worried.

Maybe I should just wait. At this point, it may be better if, for example, if one waits until 2021 or so with the hopes Ford has figured it out and a ā€œnewā€ batch of engines donā€™t have it. I donā€™t know, too much uncertainty. It just sucks getting a brand new car and quite possibly having to put up with a noise like this for years...

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Welp, I was up until 4am last night reading through every post on this thread. I have it too, and actually posted in the transmission area because I thought thatā€™s where it was coming from. 2 dealers have now had my car, and both say itā€™s ā€œnormalā€, although I have no faith in the 2nd dealer as my dash cam caught them lying that they put my car up on a lift.

I even did the tranny fluid change from Optimum Performance. Helped the shifting a little, did nothing for the rattle.
I have an appointment with another dealer tomorrow (the one where I actually bought the car), but Iā€™m wondering if I should even go. I can pretty easily ignore mine, itā€™s more subtle than some of the vids Iā€™ve seen here, but itā€™s definitely there. I do have the Ford ESP for 6/125k so Iā€™m not really worried.

Maybe I should just wait. At this point, it may be better if, for example, if one waits until 2021 or so with the hopes Ford has figured it out and a ā€œnewā€ batch of engines donā€™t have it. I donā€™t know, too much uncertainty. It just sucks getting a brand new car and quite possibly having to put up with a noise like this for years...
I havenā€™t been on here for a long time and sad to see it is still happening. I couldnā€™t tolerate the rattle so itā€™s a personal choice. Iā€™m sure mechanically it is probably not a long term issue. Dealing with a buyback is a huge PITA but if you have build a solid case then eventually Ford buys it back.

Iā€™m still hopeful it will get fixed. Really looking forward to buying another Mustang in the future.

Sponsored

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I havenā€™t been on here for a long time and sad to see it is still happening. I couldnā€™t tolerate the rattle so itā€™s a personal choice. Iā€™m sure mechanically it is probably not a long term issue. Dealing with a buyback is a huge PITA but if you have build a solid case then eventually Ford buys it back.

Iā€™m still hopeful it will get fixed. Really looking forward to buying another Mustang in the future.
Ah, hello bigriver! Iā€™ve read a lot of your stuff over the last few days!

It seems like people are experiencing different grades of it. Some really obvious, and some, like mine, you need to purposefully listen for it, and relatively easy to ignore. Thankfully mine hasnā€™t changed at all over the last several thousand miles (knock on wood), and like many others, significantly decreases when warmed up.

Looks like there are several main theories:

-piston slap
-Some sort of high pressure pump resonance
-clutch
-tranny

Hereā€™s my problem with the piston slap theory, even though there looks to be evidence of cylinder wall abnormal wear in some cases: why is it, that when in 5th or 6th gear (I have 6sp manual) I can barely hear it, and if I cover the shift knob tightly with my hand, it goes away completely? I also thought if one had piston slap, it would be at its loudest upon start up while the car is in neutral and be heard throughout all gears. For me, and others from what Iā€™ve read, it only happens while in gear. Iā€™m not knowledgeable able enough in piston slap matters to argue these nuances, so I fully admit I donā€™t know.

So I guess the riddle of the S550 Sphinx continues...

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase

btw, nice truck! I had a 2015 Laramie prior to the Mustang. Maybe Ford should do the two spark plugs per cylinder like RAM. Those RAM v8ā€™s are incredibly smooth...

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Ah, hello bigriver! Iā€™ve read a lot of your stuff over the last few days!

It seems like people are experiencing different grades of it. Some really obvious, and some, like mine, you need to purposefully listen for it, and relatively easy to ignore. Thankfully mine hasnā€™t changed at all over the last several thousand miles (knock on wood), and like many others, significantly decreases when warmed up.

Looks like there are several main theories:

-piston slap
-Some sort of high pressure pump resonance
-clutch
-tranny

Hereā€™s my problem with the piston slap theory, even though there looks to be evidence of cylinder wall abnormal wear in some cases: why is it, that when in 5th or 6th gear (I have 6sp manual) I can barely hear it, and if I cover the shift knob tightly with my hand, it goes away completely? I also thought if one had piston slap, it would be at its loudest upon start up while the car is in neutral and be heard throughout all gears. For me, and others from what Iā€™ve read, it only happens while in gear. Iā€™m not knowledgeable able enough in piston slap matters to argue these nuances, so I fully admit I donā€™t know.

So I guess the riddle of the S550 Sphinx continues...
Yes it is a mystery! For me I guess it brings bad back memories of a ā€˜78 Ford Fairmont that my Dad owned which had an obnoxious and embarrassing rattle lol.

There were several changes for the 2019+ that it can be a number of things. Iā€™m no expert but with the changes to the bore liner, it seems that they did not account for small variances in production engines that could occur. Iā€™m sure the prototype was fine during testing but things can change when mass produced. I donā€™t know.

Mine was pretty loud so thatā€™s why it bothered me. Especially driving n my neighborhood. I sure miss it though!

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
So get this, I came across one of those sites where you can ask a Ford mechanic questions and figured Iā€™d run this 2k rattle issue by them. Here was their response:

ā€œHi there ASE Master techā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€” here to assist you. It sounds like you have a loose mount or mis alignment with your transmission. I would suggest taking this car back to the dealership for a free warranty repair. This may be as simple as a exhaust hanger and as difficult as a clutch. If you need help with anything else please let me know!ā€

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
btw, nice truck! I had a 2015 Laramie prior to the Mustang. Maybe Ford should do the two spark plugs per cylinder like RAM. Those RAM v8ā€™s are incredibly smooth...
Thanks! Itā€™s my first Ram and I like it a lot. I was also able to get the Mopar lifetime warranty before they stopped offering it.

itā€™s smooth but I miss the rumble from the Mustang lol.

Sponsored

Chippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
@bigriver I just came across this. Could you take a look at this video and let me know if this sounds similar?

I need to ride in another mustang and figure out if it is normal haha.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
@bigriver I just came across this. Could you take a look at this video and let me know if this sounds similar?

I canā€™t tell honestly. I only know the rattle I heard on mine was obnoxiously loud so there was no debate that it was not normal.

Chippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I canā€™t tell honestly. I only know the rattle I heard on mine was obnoxiously loud so there was no debate that it was not normal.
Honestly it doesn't sound normal compared to any other car i've driven. However this is my first V8 so maybe its normal for V8s? Might honestly find another newer GT for sale in my area and test drive it just to see if it sounds like mine lol.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase

I have a ā€˜19 6sp, I didnā€™t hear anything unusual in that vid.

Wheat392

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 MT82

Yours sounds much better than most related to the 2k rattle.
Sponsored