Engine Chirping/Belt Squeal

77Highboy77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Hi All, I'm wondering if anyone has had issues with the engine chirping or what sounds like belt squeal. Mine just started doing this after a test drive after adding a Radium PCV plate and catback exhaust, I didn't touch the front of the engine though. The weird thing is that it only makes this noise at idle or when there is no load on the car, and only when it is up to temperature, not when it's cold. I'm leaning towards it being belt related or the alternator because it does get louder when there is more electrical load on the alternator.

I'll be doing more testing of it today and have a stethoscope on order in case I can't find the cause this weekend. However, the symptoms are almost the same as the 3rd gen Coyote timing chain tensioner issue, and the sound is exactly the same. Here is a video I found of the Coyote issue:

So far I can't find an issue like this in my searching for the 2.3, so I'm hoping it is much simpler, but the dumb stretch belt on the AC pump makes it a bit more difficult to test.
Sponsored

Rmartin1127

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Royce
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt premium
Hi All, I'm wondering if anyone has had issues with the engine chirping or what sounds like belt squeal. Mine just started doing this after a test drive after adding a Radium PCV plate and catback exhaust, I didn't touch the front of the engine though. The weird thing is that it only makes this noise at idle or when there is no load on the car, and only when it is up to temperature, not when it's cold. I'm leaning towards it being belt related or the alternator because it does get louder when there is more electrical load on the alternator.

I'll be doing more testing of it today and have a stethoscope on order in case I can't find the cause this weekend. However, the symptoms are almost the same as the 3rd gen Coyote timing chain tensioner issue, and the sound is exactly the same. Here is a video I found of the Coyote issue:

So far I can't find an issue like this in my searching for the 2.3, so I'm hoping it is much simpler, but the dumb stretch belt on the AC pump makes it a bit more difficult to test.
My 2016 gt premium does this same exact thing. Completely bone stock other than an oil catch can. Mine also does it only at idle. When given even a touch of throttle at idle, the smallest amount physically possible, the sound goes away. Also do not hear it while driving at all. I’m no master mechanic but I fee like it’s nothing harmful, and doesn’t sound like it’s coming from inside the motor. Would love to get some feedback

OP
OP

77Highboy77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Ah, I forgot I posted this here and never updated it. I found that the issue was with the PCV system, it was pulling too much vacuum through the catch can, causing the noise and filling the can with oil. I eventually replaced the open fitting on my PCV plate with the Radium PCV valve and the noise an excessive oil pulling went away.

Rmartin1127

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Royce
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt premium
Ah, I forgot I posted this here and never updated it. I found that the issue was with the PCV system, it was pulling too much vacuum through the catch can, causing the noise and filling the can with oil. I eventually replaced the open fitting on my PCV plate with the Radium PCV valve and the noise an excessive oil pulling went away.
Gotcha. I’ll have to check that as well. Thanks for the reply, glad your issue was resolved

rcwilli7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My 2016 gt premium does this same exact thing. Completely bone stock other than an oil catch can. Mine also does it only at idle. When given even a touch of throttle at idle, the smallest amount physically possible, the sound goes away. Also do not hear it while driving at all. I’m no master mechanic but I fee like it’s nothing harmful, and doesn’t sound like it’s coming from inside the motor. Would love to get some feedback
Did you ever figure out what this was?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Most likely the idler & belt tension pulley is failing, gose away after warm-up.
Sponsored