16 to 18 Mustang Sync 3.0 to 3.4?

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
After playing around with 3.4 a little more i noticed there are more startup/shutdown splash screens than there were in 3.0. anyone have the Forscan codes for these new screens?
Sponsored

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
Just a heads up...I did the upgrade to the 20021 variant and had some weird buggyness. I downgraded back down to 19200 and it seems more stable overall. If you encounter any oddities, you may want to do the same. I keep an eye on the site hoping a more stable, newer file becomes available. For now, 19200 does the trick for me.

Very happy with the change overall, especially the color scheme. I have a Kona blue convertible with green racing stripes and it really fits the color scheme I have inside and out. The digital cluster has green fill, blue surround. Blue accent lights, green pony projector overlays and Ford oval overlays (both from @Zombie ). I also did blue map lights and a blue accent light in the front USB port. Having the blue display from 3.4 just adds a nice cherry on top!!!

lostlocalhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 EBP PP MR
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, Waze apparently updated and now also shows arrows/distance to turn in the cluster.

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Anyone having intermittent issues with their USB ports not working since updating to 3.4? I've noticed sometimes the USB hub (both up front and in the center console) don't seem to have power. I have an accent light installed in the front USB which won't come on nor will Android Auto start when I plug in my phone. Usually a restart of the HU by pressing the power and forward seek button will trigger it to work again, which is why I suspect it's related to the 3.4 upgrade. I've also noticed sometimes the system reverts to auto day/night display, despite me setting it to night mode.

I am wondering if the USB hub itself needs to be upgraded or if I need to update the firmware for the APIM (which I haven't been able to find much info on). I see two versions out there: HU5Z-19A387-A and HU5Z-19A387-B. I'm in a 2018 EB Premium, if that makes a difference.

Anyone with similar issues?

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I am wondering if the USB hub itself needs to be upgraded or if I need to update the firmware for the APIM (which I haven't been able to find much info on). I see two versions out there: HU5Z-19A387-A and HU5Z-19A387-B. I'm in a 2018 EB Premium, if that makes a difference.
The HU5Z-19A387-B ( now “E”) is not for the a Mustang. The “A” is for our cars. Since 3.4 is not an official Ford update there are no hardware updates for it. There is also no APIM update. There was a new APIM used for mid 2018 production on. This was for the v3.2 update. If you have this one your 3.4 update modified it. If you have the latest APIM no update was made to it.

If no one else on this thread has this issue I would suggest contacting Cyanlabs as this is their software. This is this unfortunate downside to unofficial updates. There is nothing Ford can do for you.

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
The HU5Z-19A387-B ( now “E”) is not for the a Mustang. The “A” is for our cars. Since 3.4 is not an official Ford update there are no hardware updates for it. There is also no APIM update. There was a new APIM used for mid 2018 production on. This was for the v3.2 update. If you have this one your 3.4 update modified it. If you have the latest APIM no update was made to it.

If no one else on this thread has this issue I would suggest contacting Cyanlabs as this is their software. This is this unfortunate downside to unofficial updates. There is nothing Ford can do for you.
Good to know that -B is not for our cars. I almost got ready to buy one to try it. For now, I'm going to pull the hub out and check the connections to see if maybe one is loose. Since the problem is intermittent, perhaps it's a connection that's faulty. I believe there is a fuse for the USB hub, but I would assume if the fuse is blown it simply would not work ever, not just intermittently (or am I mistaken and a fuse being bad could cause intermittent issues not just a total loss of power to the hub?).

As far as the APIM, any idea how I can check if my vehicle was built post change or pre change?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Good to know that -B is not for our cars. I almost got ready to buy one to try it. For now, I'm going to pull the hub out and check the connections to see if maybe one is loose. Since the problem is intermittent, perhaps it's a connection that's faulty. I believe there is a fuse for the USB hub, but I would assume if the fuse is blown it simply would not work ever, not just intermittently (or am I mistaken and a fuse being bad could cause intermittent issues not just a total loss of power to the hub?).

As far as the APIM, any idea how I can check if my vehicle was built post change or pre change?
Good idea on checking mechanical connections. They are responsible for many intermittent problems. As far as the APIM, I believe you can check that through information in the diagnostics program. Maybe someone who has done it can chime in.

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
Yes, there is a separate website for maps. Depending on your MY they will either be free or there will be a charge. You'll know when you put your VIN & ESN in. Right now you can only get 1.18 officially.

Here it is:

https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home
I went from 3.0 - 3.3 the other night, took a few times to get the USB to be read but once it loaded no big deal. I then went to the above website so I could go from NA1.17 to NA1.18. I don't use the builtin nav much as I use Waze most of the time, but I figured I do this as there isn't a lot to do with the car right now anyway. I started the car up, put the USB in and it started to update right away. What I didn't realize is that the Engine Automatic shutoff resets every time you restart the car, so it didn't work—car shut down. I disengaged the auto off and put the USB drive back in. It will not read the the USB anymore. I reformatted the drive, reinstalled the software onto it and it still won't work. Tried different USB sticks nothing. What gives?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I went from 3.0 - 3.3 the other night, took a few times to get the USB to be read but once it loaded no big deal. I then went to the above website so I could go from NA1.17 to NA1.18. I don't use the builtin nav much as I use Waze most of the time, but I figured I do this as there isn't a lot to do with the car right now anyway. I started the car up, put the USB in and it started to update right away. What I didn't realize is that the Engine Automatic shutoff resets every time you restart the car, so it didn't work—car shut down. I disengaged the auto off and put the USB drive back in. It will not read the the USB anymore. I reformatted the drive, reinstalled the software onto it and it still won't work. Tried different USB sticks nothing. What gives?
Sounds like you have a corrupted download. Has nothing to do with your USB or download. If your current maps work you might want to leave it alone. If not this means a trip to the dealer. They may be able to fix it or if need be replace the APIM. I know this sucks but this is why you're told never to interrupt power during an computer download.

Sponsored

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
Sounds like you have a corrupted download. Has nothing to do with your USB or download. If your current maps work you might want to leave it alone. If not this means a trip to the dealer. They may be able to fix it or if need be replace the APIM. I know this sucks but this is why you're told never to interrupt power during an computer download.
Thanks, yeah, silly me I should have doubled checked the auto shut off. Everything works fine still (from what i can tell), just frustrated I messed it up when i should have known better. And I downloaded the software upgrade multiple times so the file shouldn't be corrupted but who knows.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, yeah, silly me I should have doubled checked the auto shut off. Everything works fine still (from what i can tell), just frustrated I messed it up when i should have known better. And I downloaded the software upgrade multiple times so the file shouldn't be corrupted but who knows.
Hey, stuff happens. There is most likely one stupid corrupted file in the APIM that is screwing everything up.

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Good idea on checking mechanical connections. They are responsible for many intermittent problems. As far as the APIM, I believe you can check that through information in the diagnostics program. Maybe someone who has done it can chime in.
I think the connections were loose. I pulled the hub and noticed they were barely plugged in. I disconnected and reconnected all three plugs firmly and have not since noticed intermittent outages. My USB-C cable is a bit janky, so I'm replacing that, but the front accent light stays on consistently now so it's definitely only the cable that still needs attention.

If I see the light start to act up on the front USB port again, I will pull the hub another time and wrap the connectors with electrical tape to ensure they stay firmly connected.

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Hey, stuff happens. There is most likely one stupid corrupted file in the APIM that is screwing everything up.
Would it help if I try to reinstall 3.3 again and then try the NA1.18. Though the more I think about it, everything seems to work so maybe best to leave well enough alone. Only thing I notice is start up with 3.3 seems to be slower than 3.0 and I get a message each time about connecting to my phone, I don't remember that happening each time I got in the car with 3.0 (can't remember what the message says - I'll take a photo today)

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Would it help if I try to reinstall 3.3 again and then try the NA1.18. Though the more I think about it, everything seems to work so maybe best to leave well enough alone. Only thing I notice is start up with 3.3 seems to be slower than 3.0 and I get a message each time about connecting to my phone, I don't remember that happening each time I got in the car with 3.0 (can't remember what the message says - I'll take a photo today)
My old IT department joked that I knew enough about computers to really screw things up but not enough to fix them. That said, unless you know exactly what you are doing leave well enough alone. That corrupted file could affect any further updates you try to do and "could" brick your unit. If you really want to go after this have your dealer do a total reset to your APIM and then reload 3.3 and 1.18.
Sponsored