Black Boost Detailing Thread

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT WhippleCharged
So tomorrow I pick up my black boosted GT and while the mods were done by the dealership the previous owner didnt follow proper washing techniques. So I will be doing a full detail to it over the course of a week or so. I will list all the stuff I use and post pictures as I do it. Planning on doing decon soap in my foam cannon followed by iron remover and claying. After Ill be wiping it down car pro eraser. Ill be then compounding it then polishing it followed up with a ceramic coat if I can get my hands on some product, if not ill be applying a glaze, sealant then hybrid wax. A bit overkill but comes out great on all my other cars Ive done so far. Below Ill be putting a product and tool list. Im sure itll grow as I do the detail, but if your interested in what I'm doing feel free to watch this thread and ask questions! (wish they made meguiars MF pads for the nano but its not a perfect world.

Tools:
Rupes Bigfoot nano
Rupes LHR75E Mini 3"
Rupes LHR15 Mark 3
Rupes yellow and white pads
Meguiars MF cut pads
Various MF towels
Kranzle 1322TS
MTM PF22
3M Percision Masking Tape

Products:
Carpro Eraser
Optimum Ferrex
Jescar Correcting compound
Sonax perfect finish
OG decontamination Soap
Not sure yet what protection Im going to go with yet
Sponsored

OP
OP
BlackBoostedGT

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Used decontamination soap, iron remover, and then clayed the car using a claymitt. Ready for the wipedown with carpro eraser then time to inspect the paint and see what level of compound/polish is needed.
IMG_20200402_135822.jpg
IMG_20200402_152307.jpg

Edit: Always so hard to tell from pictures if a car is clean or not.

OP
OP
BlackBoostedGT

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Did two test spots. One with a yellow rupes pad and sonax perfect finish the other with a meguiars mf pad and jescar correcting compound followed by a yellow rupes pad with sonax perfect finish. Ended up going with the two step for this detail. Roof came out pretty much perfect. Never new shadow black had metallic flakes in the paint like tuxedo black but far less of them.
IMG_20200402_164306.jpg
IMG_20200402_164308.jpg
IMG_20200402_170007.jpg
IMG_20200402_182241.jpg

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Great thread, excellent work so far. Black is stunning if you know how to look after it, which you clearly do!

Interested to hear what you end up with for protection. I favour Adams Polishes products and about to pull the trigger on their ceramic paste wax.

EDIT: hope you don't mind, I've moved this thread in to the "cosmetic upkeep" sub section...

OP
OP
BlackBoostedGT

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Great thread, excellent work so far. Black is stunning if you know how to look after it, which you clearly do!

Interested to hear what you end up with for protection. I favour Adams Polishes products and about to pull the trigger on their ceramic paste wax.

EDIT: hope you don't mind, I've moved this thread in to the "cosmetic upkeep" sub section...
I was honestly waiting for someone to move it to the right section. I realized I posted in the wrong section right after making the thread. As for protection I usually use chemical guys jet seal then hybrid wax. Been having amazing results with those two products so far. Either that or put a ceramic coat on it but I'm not sure if I want to as I like trying new products all the time. After polish is done I'll be following up with a glaze then deciding on what to do.

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I was honestly waiting for someone to move it to the right section. I realized I posted in the wrong section right after making the thread. As for protection I usually use chemical guys jet seal then hybrid wax. Been having amazing results with those two products so far. Either that or put a ceramic coat on it but I'm not sure if I want to as I like trying new products all the time. After polish is done I'll be following up with a glaze then deciding on what to do.
I'm the same, I enjoy the task of maintaining mine and stick with what I know generally, i.e. sealant then paste wax. Will be treating mine to a polish when this virus lockdown lifts! I've intentionally avoided a ceramic coating, mainly for the cost, but also I think it's a different game in terms of the maintaining it. As someone who does a lot of miles, and enjoys the process - the non ceramic route was better for me.

OP
OP
BlackBoostedGT

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I'm the same, I enjoy the task of maintaining mine and stick with what I know generally, i.e. sealant then paste wax. Will be treating mine to a polish when this virus lockdown lifts! I've intentionally avoided a ceramic coating, mainly for the cost, but also I think it's a different game in terms of the maintaining it. As someone who does a lot of miles, and enjoys the process - the non ceramic route was better for me.
Cost is actually cheaper with ceramic coats it's about 110 for cquartz then all you need is to periodically use reload spray. Over the course of a year or two it's cheaper in the end. I just like trying different products all the time and testing different waxes and sealants so I don't want to use anything that'll stay on for that long/be that hard to remove if I wanted too.

OP
OP
BlackBoostedGT

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
If you've corrected the paint then there's no reason to use a glaze
Not true, that depends on the level of correcting you do. I didn't wet sand and buff the whole car. Even so you can still get micro swirls and marring. Or have scratches that are just too deep to get out without compromising the clear coats UV protection. That being said glazes can also help as a gloss enhancer as well. We're I do do a ceramic coat I would layer anything with it and skip glazing it. However I did not choose to go the ceramic coat route this time.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BlackBoostedGT

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
The finished product. Couldn't get the wheels as well as I'd liked as the lug nuts have those stupid caps on them and I guess they swelled so I'll be ordering new lug nuts in black that don't have the stupid chrome caps on them. If I took the nuts off torquing them down will not be possible cause the caps will be too damaged.
IMG_20200406_193418.jpg

Juantrickpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
15GTPP
Nice job, looks great! :like: What protection did you end up going with? Jet seal? Any hybrid wax? If so, which one? And which glaze? Just curious. I enjoy testing different sealants and waxes as well. :beer:

Titlerider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Convertible
Your post has been very helpful to me because it’s provided me with a realistic comparison for my efforts with my black GT conv. My results are not as swirl-free as yours, but reasonably close for my first effort. In the fall, I will try again. In the meantime, my car looks lots better than when I bought it in March. Thanks.

86pagt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Good job... Started mine this weekend. I’m like you and like to try different things. Ilthe car wasn’t too bad for the correction part so I was able to get away with Megs microfiber polish with a Uro fiber 50/50 pad and LC orange. I will be trying Xtream solutions LVR-403. Still undecided on what to use on top. Car looks great... I had a 2015 F-150 tuxedo black and when all cleaned up they look amazing. Good luck with your topper
Sponsored