Sponsored

cheap tires?

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I just went to get my oil changed since the computer said I was down to 1% and to my surprise the service guy said I needed new front tires. They are both worn down near the inner part which is hard to see and on one side the belt is showing. I know not good. He said I most likely need an alignment too. Weird as I cant remember hitting anything hard and it seems to drive fine without pulling to either side. I had some winter tires on the back and have been running the fronts year round because the winter wheels wouldn't fit over the brakes in the front and I didn't get a spacer since I didn't plan on keeping the car too much longer.

So since I was thinking of trading the car in within a few months, would it hurt to get some cheaper tires for the front as to not affect trade-in too much? They have some Doral Sports for 87.50, Matrix Tour RS for 99 and some Supreme Tour LSX for 122.50. I have never heard of any of these, but its what they have in stock and I suppose I should get them changed ASAP so I don't get a blowout. Or do you guys think it would it be safe to drive it another week or so and order some of the original equipment tires from TR to match the rears? BTW, they are 235/50R18.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I just went to get my oil changed since the computer said I was down to 1% and to my surprise the service guy said I needed new front tires. They are both worn down near the inner part which is hard to see and on one side the belt is showing. I know not good. He said I most likely need an alignment too. Weird as I cant remember hitting anything hard and it seems to drive fine without pulling to either side. I had some winter tires on the back and have been running the fronts year round because the winter wheels wouldn't fit over the brakes in the front and I didn't get a spacer since I didn't plan on keeping the car too much longer.

So since I was thinking of trading the car in within a few months, would it hurt to get some cheaper tires for the front as to not affect trade-in too much? They have some Doral Sports for 87.50, Matrix Tour RS for 99 and some Supreme Tour LSX for 122.50. I have never heard of any of these, but its what they have in stock and I suppose I should get them changed ASAP so I don't get a blowout. Or do you guys think it would it be safe to drive it another week or so and order some of the original equipment tires from TR to match the rears? BTW, they are 235/50R18.
If all you are going to do is DD your car for the foreseeable future then any of tires you mentioned are most likely decent as they all have to meet DOT specs. As far as trading it in, if you are going to sell it privately the no name tires could hurt. Depends on the buyer. If going to a dealer it doesn't matter. Lastly, if you can see a belt, do not drive the car, period.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I went with the cheapest tires they had in stock and it still ended up costing 340 due to it needed an alignment and some supplies. What pisses me off is it looks like they gummed up the rims of my wheels changing the tires. Is this normal? Its not too bad on one of the wheels, but the other one has a couple places that almost looks like curb rash and won't come off. I guess its possible it was there before, but I don't think so.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
So I went with the cheapest tires they had in stock and it still ended up costing 340 due to it needed an alignment and some supplies. What pisses me off is it looks like they gummed up the rims of my wheels changing the tires. Is this normal? Its not too bad on one of the wheels, but the other one has a couple places that almost looks like curb rash and won't come off. I guess its possible it was there before, but I don't think so.
If your car doesn’t look the same as when you brought it in, bring it back. Speak to them and have them correct what you think is wrong.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning

Tires are never something I would want to go "cheaper is better" on. The best bang for your buck for a daily driver would be the Nitto 555 G2. They are a great tire for the street and are really good if you get caught in the rain! They won't break the bank either! Shoot me a message if you have any questions or would like to place an order! @LethalPerformance https://www.lethalperformance.com/shop-now/vehicle-selector/tires/nitto

Sponsored

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its not that I went looking for cheap tires. I just don't see the point of putting expensive ones on if I plan to trade it in soon. The tires I did have installed look to be pretty good for the price. I'm still not sure what to do about the scrapes on the wheel though. I could say they caused it and they could say it was already there. I'm thinking there was one wheel that had some, but I'm pretty sure there is more on it now. I guess I learned in the future to take pics first. What about trade in either way? Would it help to get it fixed or if I have to end up paying for it myself, would it really be better to just take a slight reduction on trade in value, if any?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Its not that I went looking for cheap tires. I just don't see the point of putting expensive ones on if I plan to trade it in soon. The tires I did have installed look to be pretty good for the price. I'm still not sure what to do about the scrapes on the wheel though. I could say they caused it and they could say it was already there. I'm thinking there was one wheel that had some, but I'm pretty sure there is more on it now. I guess I learned in the future to take pics first. What about trade in either way? Would it help to get it fixed or if I have to end up paying for it myself, would it really be better to just take a slight reduction on trade in value, if any?
If a potential buyer doesn’t notice the cheap tires they probably won’t care about the rim damage. A more informed buyer will knock down your price for both the tires and rims. At this point leave them alone and be prepared to take a slight hit.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was about to forget it and leave it alone, but you won't believe what I discovered next? I started letting a little air out of the tires as they always over fill them and couldn't get the passenger side to go down on the dash gauge. I kept letting more air out and the drivers side was going down. I then checked with a real pressure gauge and realized they had to have put the wheels back on the wrong sides! I can't believe this as this is a tireman franchise and changing tires is main thing they do.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
I think it will eventually relearn the new positions if you keep driving. I do know when I got new sensors in new wheels recently it picked them all up and learned positions within 30 minutes.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. I have driven it to work and back (about 50 miles) and no change yet.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. I have driven it to work and back (about 50 miles) and no change yet.
50 miles is long enough. Check to see if your dealer has a reset tool. If the do bring it in and have resync all four wheels.

jonesy67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
V6
Firestone Destination or Falken WildPeak gets my vote for cheap tires here. I wanted a compromise tire that would last and have much more grip. That real sticky summer tires don't like. So I thought I would try a set of Falken the A meaning all season and wow what an impressive tire for the price!

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Lastly, if you can see a belt, do not drive the car, period.
I better tell the guy who persists in parking next to my new Brittany in his black Carolla that has 2 bands of cords showing on driver front, rear bumper pulled off behind the driver rear, the passenger rear door smashed in, and the pass front wheel arch sticking way out like he fish-hooked it on a guardrail or something.

The person has MD tags so I reckon commutes 30 miles a day give or take...

PS. Damn it! sorry to pile on the necro-thread.
Sponsored