Sponsored

Simple GT350 Active exhaust setup

Cdnspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT/PP
Hey guys,

for the last little while i was super determined to install an active gt350 exhaust on my GT PP1.

the wiring diagrams make it seem simple 3 wires 2 to power and 1 to the ECU.... Not so much.

I did have Roush axle backs but was so over the highway drone so I figured i'd sell them and get an OEM Gt350 and make it work.

The First thing I did was crack the motors open to figure out what was inside, it's basically a microcontroller communicating on a LIN network similar to can bus but only 1 wire. There was no way i was going to crack this code. I also wasn't about to pay $300 for a wireless on off remote that the volkswagen guys have (which is compatible with the stock valves)

So I made the valves dumb valves. Gutted the boards and soldered wires directly from the motor to the pins. I opened them up with a sharp exacto knife, it takes a while but it will work and give you the cleanest job, I used some super glue to hold the halves back together. Then used some high temp silicone sealant. I'm not too worried about moisture since it is just a simple DC motor in there now
full.jpg

Sourced out some new connectors from digikey
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/molex/0349003120/WM20002-ND/5700301
Cheap enough $1.24CDN a piece.

Next step make a prototype controller.
Parts list:
Arduino Nano - https://www.banggood.com/Geekcreit-...d-p-940937.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN
L298N H bridge( Likely over kill) - https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-...rd-p-42826.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN
315MHZ M4 receiver - https://www.adafruit.com/product/1096
Single button Fob - https://www.adafruit.com/product/1392
LM7805 5V Linear regulator
MX150 Female 8 position connector - Digikey
MX150 Male panel mount 8 position connector - digikey

and a generic bread board to put them together.
full.jpg

Added a wee bit of code using a program called XOD the valves are opened with a 40% duty cycle and 1 second to open, a 40% duty cycle prevents the valves from snapping open and closed potentially damaging the spring that attaches to the valve. website - https://xod.io/
full.jpg

and used some double sided tape to stick the fob to the dash.
431141-2e3abe9c8ebcc552578d09fd1f4d9721.jpg

Now that I know all these components work together and the code works I have designed a PCB that will let me mount everything into a smaller frame and even smaller box. new PCB will allow Throttle to open it during Wot and possibly add a 2 button remote to have a 50% open version but i don't think it will be consistent due to no position tracking
431140-d48905e195bb54393fec828b2d7dd9fc.jpg

I don't have a final picture of the enclosure the board is mounted in as it wouldn't do the project justice.

The harness is really straight forward One connector into the Box, 2 connectors for the valves, an eyelet for ground and one fuse tap.

Next phase for this project will be to add a connector on the Throttle pedal to open the valves at WOT.

the button has 2 functions currently press quickly will cycle the valves open or closed. holding the button will allow you to find "home" when you put them on for the first time.

Also every time the car powers up the valves close, which is nice for those 5am starts going to work.

the controller box only needs one power wire and one ground, currently i have a fuse tap in the position 23 in the interior fuse box

in the end the hardware ended up costing about $40ish dollars and 2 hours of coding. Don't know how reliable the hacked together setup will be but the Version 2.0 with the custom PCB should be dead reliable.

I may sell a couple of the finished PCB's if there is interest, it would work on basically any car, you would need to gut the motors or send them to me to get it done.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Very cool DIY project. I'm impressed

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Damn - nice job!!! Definitely one of the top 10 DIYs on this forum.

OP
OP
Cdnspeed

Cdnspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT/PP
Thanks guys, you are too kind. this is a relatively easy project and would be willing to walk anyone through this if they want more info, I'll also have a kit ready shortly for whomever wants to do the same thing without building the electronics.

This is my small project, my big project is a magnaride controller for non magnaride cars.

Sponsored

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Thanks guys, you are too kind. this is a relatively easy project and would be willing to walk anyone through this if they want more info, I'll also have a kit ready shortly for whomever wants to do the same thing without building the electronics.

This is my small project, my big project is a magnaride controller for non magnaride cars.

I have the 2018+ stock Active "axle-back" welded in behind my H Pipe as well as the actuators and the harnesses, but I don't have "the plug" if you've followed the efforts folks had to retrofit the GT active exhaust in other cars. Are you aware of how involved would it be to add a potentiometer to graduate between almost fully closed and fully open on the two valved tips in my situation? I'm currently just running them full open, because I got distracted with other projects on the car.

OP
OP
Cdnspeed

Cdnspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT/PP
I have the 2018+ stock Active "axle-back" welded in behind my H Pipe as well as the actuators and the harnesses, but I don't have "the plug" if you've followed the efforts folks had to retrofit the GT active exhaust in other cars. Are you aware of how involved would it be to add a potentiometer to graduate between almost fully closed and fully open on the two valved tips in my situation? I'm currently just running them full open, because I got distracted with other projects on the car.
A potentiometer will not work, the valves are looking for a Lin network signal to relay status to the ECU and vice versa.

won't be able to get a variable stepped opening and closing, its either open or closed,

it could be timed to open partially but it would be inconsistent

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cdnspeed

Cdnspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT/PP
And the Final Version!!

Super excited about this, I created the PCB from scratch and here is the final version.

Designed to fit into a generic off the shelf case with a Sealed molex connector I could mount this thing under the car since it is completely water sealed.

I also added my Throttle input into this board! I can now have it open the exhaust anytime I am Full throttle. I am beyond hyped over this.

446927-92651d95058c71c69db1bc0a851a4f2d.jpg

I do have 4 extra controllers and would sell them for very little money, 1 board has 95% of the components on it the other 3 would have to be built as in solder the components on.

If there is any interest i'll put a kit together for this.

Now on to my next project, rev matching...

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Man you electronic guru's blow my mind with the stuff you figure out. Well done.

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Good job brother. What exactly does the next project entail? I'm curious what your attempting to do?

OP
OP
Cdnspeed

Cdnspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT/PP
Good job brother. What exactly does the next project entail? I'm curious what your attempting to do?
Will match pretty much full functionality of the stock GT350 setup but will be end user tunable
Sponsored