OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
That looks beautiful and rods/pistons look familiar LOL. I finally a got around to tearing my motor down and she's blown up GOOD lol. Number 3 piston failed and took out just about everything with it.

Looks like i have more money to spend (heads and crank).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

But can anyone guess what survived unscathed?? That's right......... the dreaded, "weak junk, crappy" oil pump gears! Hahahaha... i wish the stock pistons were nearly as resilient as the OPGs...........

10.jpg
Wow!!! Was it knocking or smoking??
Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Wow!!! Was it knocking or smoking??
It sure as hell was doing both when it let go lmaooooooooooooooooo. Spy hunter smoke screen for about a mile on the highway at 100+. Good times.

No... motor was healthy prior. I was running below 1/4 tank fuel and took a buddy for a ride and turned up the boost... bad idea. Appears piston failed taking out everything around it.

Funny because the remaining rods/pistons looked really really good... almost no wear on bearings at all.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
That looks beautiful and rods/pistons look familiar LOL. I finally a got around to tearing my motor down and she's blown up GOOD lol. Number 3 piston failed and took out just about everything with it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

But can anyone guess what survived unscathed?? That's right......... the dreaded, "weak junk, crappy" oil pump gears! Hahahaha... i wish the stock pistons were nearly as resilient as the OPGs...........

10.jpg
Oh man!
Sorry to see that . You got a new bare block if I recall , right ?
Good thing the Gen 3 heads are relatively cheap especially with a core .

The pistons in this build are actually stock Voodoo and non Tuff H rods (specific for the pistons /same as in the alluminator)

The combo you hooked me up with (like yours )-Mahle drop in’s /H tuff rods - is actually going into a used Gen 3 long block i scored for cheap .

Good thing there is no racing in the near future. It would be nice to be a able to take out my stock block in a state that I can rebuild - still obsessing about building that stroker . If funds allow when I take it out I plan to send it RPG to get sleeved /bored and stroked to a 5.4 .

With my luck can’t have too many spares ... or I am just obsessed .
Lol

Last edited:

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Oh man!
Sorry to see that . You got a new bare block if I recall , right ?
Good thing the Gen 3 heads are relatively cheap especially with a core .

The pistons in this build are actually stock Voodoo and non Tuff H rods (specific for the pistons /same as in the alluminator)

The combo you hooked me up with (like yours )-Mahle drop in’s /H tuff rods - is actually going into a used Gen 3 long block i scored for cheap .

Good thing there is no racing in the near future. It would be nice to be a able to take out my stock block in a state that I can rebuild - still obsessing about building that stroker . If funds allow when I take it out I plan to send it RPG to get sleeved /bored and stroked to a 5.4 .

With my luck can’t have too many spares ... or I am just obsessed .
Lol

Yes, im kind of shocked how cheap heads are.. i should have a set on the way soon. Despite how trashed my old motor is, im surprised the cylinder walls held as well as they did. I was expecting to see broken block at the top of cylinders at the head gasket area in the water jackets. IMO, thats the weak area of the Gen 3, but mine held in that area which gives me confidence on the new gen 3 i have.

Best way to do it bock-wise though, is factory predator like i think you did or are doinng.

Im obsessed too.. these cars make power Soooooooooooooooooooooo easy its very addicting.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just checked the catch can after driving 3 hours....got into boost a couple times (nothing to crazy)... a small amount of oil in the can... nothing that looks abnormal. Car does feel a tad slower but it could be the heat as well... it was 90 today. Saving now for a shortblock. I was expecting more oil then that tho. Does that normal to y'all? That amount of oil in 3 hours a couple of moderate boost pulls?
20200329_153804.jpg
Saw your compression numbers. Probably your ring lands are OK, but your top ring is damaged. Mine had similar readings to yours and when I disassembled it I found that the top ring on the low reading cylinder was damaged. Looks like it has a chrome coating that begins to flake off.

Basically the ring gaps on the NA motor are way too tight for boost, so the extra heat in our boosted engines causes the ring ends to butt together and it damages the rings or cracks the lands.

Yeah, I know a stock motor makes 1,000hp, but that's a 5 second dyno run on e85. Switch that same motor to 93 and run it at WOT for longer than a dyno pull or a 10 second 1/4 run and I'll bet it will break, even at 7 psi of boost.

Sponsored

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
It sure as hell was doing both when it let go lmaooooooooooooooooo. Spy hunter smoke screen for about a mile on the highway at 100+. Good times.

No... motor was healthy prior. I was running below 1/4 tank fuel and took a buddy for a ride and turned up the boost... bad idea. Appears piston failed taking out everything around it.

Funny because the remaining rods/pistons looked really really good... almost no wear on bearings at all.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg
Saw your compression numbers. Probably your ring lands are OK, but your top ring is damaged. Mine had similar readings to yours and when I disassembled it I found that the top ring on the low reading cylinder was damaged. Looks like it has a chrome coating that begins to flake off.

Basically the ring gaps on the NA motor are way too tight for boost, so the extra heat in our boosted engines causes the ring ends to butt together and it damages the rings or cracks the lands.

Yeah, I know a stock motor makes 1,000hp, but that's a 5 second dyno run on e85. Switch that same motor to 93 and run it at WOT for longer than a dyno pull or a 10 second 1/4 run and I'll bet it will break, even at 7 psi of boost.

So misleading when you read, talk to people, visit different shops, talk to tuners and mechanics and they say ... oh yeah gen 2 make 800hp plus at the wheels all day long. Just get oil pump gears and crank sprocket. Boy if I knew what I know now. I would've kept this bitch at 600hp at the wheels.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
So misleading when you read, talk to people, visit different shops, talk to tuners and mechanics and they say ... oh yeah gen 2 make 800hp plus at the wheels all day long. Just get oil pump gears and crank sprocket. Boy if I knew what I know now. I would've kept this bitch at 600hp at the wheels.
You have to run good fuel in these motors for them to live.
I always add VP Racing Unleaded Additive to my 93 octane pump gas to be safe and when I went the track I added MS109 Unleaded Race Fuel.I want to know what fuel is in my tank.JMO

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
Lol im w you brotha. I am on full E85 and should be good and still went BOOM lol this hobby is an investment in our sanity lol.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Lol im w you brotha. I am on full E85 and should be good and still went BOOM lol this hobby is an investment in our sanity lol.
Wow,I saw where you are building a new engine, but did not know you blew up your factory motor.Any pictures or details?

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
Wow,I saw where you are building a new engine, but did not know you blew up your factory motor.Any pictures or details?

The car is in Fresno, CA at the moment. Will from RPG is going to do the tear down soon and will send me some updates. He thinks its head gasket but we will see. I will be going with his Predator 5.2 short block and waiting for the 3.8 to come out and hopefully can get it installed together.

Sponsored

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
The car is in Fresno, CA at the moment. Will from RPG is going to do the tear down soon and will send me some updates. He thinks its head gasket but we will see. I will be going with his Predator 5.2 short block and waiting for the 3.8 to come out and hopefully can get it installed together.
Wish you the best on your new motor!

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The ring gap on the NA motor is 0.15mm to 0.25mm while for a boosted motor the ring gap is 0.457mm to 0.508mm. So a boosted motor with NA ring gaps is at risk as the heat under boost get in there.

e85 definitely helps avoid issues because it’s so much cooler.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg
WOW. Sorry to hear. GL on the new build.
Sponsored