Sponsored

2018+ Mustang GT (Cold Air Intake)

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
I hear many different ownership opinion and would like your input on whoever have real world testing and results. Is PMAS really the shit when it comes to power making ? Or i should keep it stock

Right now im waiting for my headers arrival, and the tune will be the final details to work on.
Sponsored

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Save your money and stay with the stocker on a 2018...

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
duuuuuudddeeeee. There are enough of these dam threads, search them and youll see your answer.

In short....no.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Well. I purchased a Steeda intake. Guy I got it from said he dynoed stock and then again with steeda on same day, same dyno session and it picked up 15hp and 4tq. Not sure if that was with insert or not. But just ordered flex/e85 from Lund and they advised to run the insert. So not sure why but I’ll give er a try since I have it. But others all say the stock intake is more than efficient with a new filter. So I dunno.

OP
OP

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Yes, i hear all the times that the stock 18 cold air is more than efficient, but you see so many with JLT/PMAS/STEEDA that it brings out the questionning i have. The oem paper element is restrictive you think ?

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Well. I purchased a Steeda intake. Guy I got it from said he dynoed stock and then again with steeda on same day, same dyno session and it picked up 15hp and 4tq. Not sure if that was with insert or not. But just ordered flex/e85 from Lund and they advised to run the insert. So not sure why but I’ll give er a try since I have it. But others all say the stock intake is more than efficient with a new filter. So I dunno.
On the Steeda closed CAI make sure to only run straight gas or straight e85. Too much maf turbulence and idle variation to attempt to run a flex tune effectively. This is a known issue discussed many times on here and I personally was testing early on before reverting back to stock CAI. The benefits to run flex on the stock CAI far outweighed the benefits of running 91 on the Steeda (straight e85 not an option in AZ). Just something to keep in mind.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Yes, i hear all the times that the stock 18 cold air is more than efficient, but you see so many with JLT/PMAS/STEEDA that it brings out the questionning i have. The oem paper element is restrictive you think ?
Keep OEM box but with a drop in filter. Higher flows but benefits of lower iats and stock maf curve.

This is aimed at the 18+. Previous models benefit more from CAI upgrade but there is a reason alot of 15-17 guys upgrade to a OEM +18 setup.

OP
OP

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
I ordered my longtube headers so there is no going back now, im drowning :crackup:, i will need to choose a filter or intake & a tuner.

BrandonS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium A6
Drop in AEM dry filter here. Had an open element CAI and IATs were through the roof around town. At speed, no problem, but once IATs went up, it took a few mins to come back to ~5* of ambient. I have an 18+ airbox and 18+ manifold waiting to go on. No open element filters in my future. Just my .02....

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The oem paper element is restrictive you think ?
Not really restrictive. I went with a K&N drop-in mainly cause of its lifetime warranty. Plus it's picks up like 5 rwhp @ 10 bucks a horse haha. It's about 1/2 has thick as the stock paper filter. I use to be a sheep that fell into the CAI trap. But as my car is 99% street driven, the incredibly hot IAT's gave me a headache. Tired all kind of fixes, but it just made it look like a rednecks wet dream. Sometimes the A/F ratio was going all over the place, thought it was bad gas, nope, the JLT CAI was the culprit. Hot air most likely. At the track (can tuned JLT vs same can tune but with stock airbox/stock filter) I went faster with the stock airbox. Between waiting, burnout, staging, then finally the run, the IAT on the CAI never came down. If your your tracking the car, different story. Cheers.
b7160e9f-3195-4b54-881a-a63a6d58ad81-03df9682-6c60-441b-be89-2ca86e1ff71a.jpg

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
There is proof, you just have to search for it. Others have tested that CAI's by themselves don't add much (see Lethal's Goldmember upgrade and dyno list). The info is out there, you just need to look around, read it, and decide for yourself what is best for you. Sometimes one size doesn't fit all.

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
i ended up buying a drop in K&N filter for my 2019 after reading through a ton of posts on this subject within the forum.

OP
OP

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Just throw this in (stock box) when you want to go fast Jerky Boy.
327065AA-68DE-4C62-9AE3-F805410E2971.jpeg
wtf hell no lol. thats ghetto and bad for your engine, if you like to sand your piston sure why not