Sponsored

Michelin Tyres

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
Need to replace the front PZeros on my GT and already have MPSS on the rear but can’t get them for the front now - is the MPS4S a good option for the front with the rear MPSS?
Sponsored

Last edited:

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
according to the michelin technical director that came to my place to look at some tyres i thought had disintegrated too quickly he said the best combination of grip for turning and grip for getting the power down was mps4s up front and mpss in back

OP
OP
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
according to the michelin technical director that came to my place to look at some tyres i thought had disintegrated too quickly he said the best combination of grip for turning and grip for getting the power down was mps4s up front and mpss in back
That’s interesting and good to know as I’ve just bought MPS4S for the front - fitting on Saturday for £308.60 including balancing, valves, alignment

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Need to replace the front PZeros on my GT and already have MPSS on the rear but can’t get them for the front now - is the MPS4S a good option for the front with the rear MPSS?
MPS4S's have been a revelation coming from BMW's with MPSS. I personally don't rate MPSS in the cold and wet, in fact I really didn't trust them. My GT feels so much more planted in the cold and wet than either of my BMW's did one having MPSS (m135i) the other Conti SC3's (on an M2 which IMO provided much better grip in the wet/cold). Members of BMW forums I am on also highly regard the MPS4S and have experienced a big increase in grip and confidence.

What are MPSS like on the rear of a GT in the cold and wet weather? Probably better than on a high powered BMW RWD turbo charged car due to the torque delivery I imagine but they still cant be that good?

I imagine the Michelin guy rates the MPSS on the rear as they are soft but is he talking about in optimal conditions? In the summer the MPSS are fantastic I totally agree.

Personally I would change all 4.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
i've ran ps4s's all round, mpss all round and split front rears. so mps4s's seem to have the longest life before bits of metal stick through, they also seem to hold better on twisties too i always felt the mpss seems to drop off if constantly under turning pressure.

in the dry the mpss on the rears are far superior to the 4s's for me, yes they'll light up and lose traction pretty easy but they do it so progressively and controlably i think the 4s's with the hardened shoulder seem to feel a little more random.

this all comes with the caveat that both are miles better than pzeros in all weathers and unless you tend to drive hard often both are more than sufficient for someone just pootling and cruising. i tend to treat the throttle as an on off switch so usage is

Sponsored

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I think youre right about the MPSS doing it progressively but it was the way in which they would lose traction in the first place so easily in the cold and wet that began annoying me, so easy to break traction it was unbelievable IMO on my M135i. For the track yes the MPSS are the better tyre but for the UK they aren't for me as they don't offer the all round performance like the MPS4S do IMO. I would however like to see how they are on the GT, would be good to compare.

OP
OP
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got the MPS4S on the front now and boy are they good - transformed the car for front end grip and ride & handling

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I always thought the mpss were better in the cold, to me the mps4s seem to take that little bit longer to heat up. However, I've only ran mpss on a 350z and pzeros and mps4s on the mustang.