Sponsored

Why doesn't an oil catch-can come stock on our Mustangs??

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I just looked up a diagram of the area, looks like I was wrong, port side DOES flow past the intake valve. My bad. Must have had it in my head the port injector was like the DI one on the high pressure side. So is this why we get almost no oil in our catch cans? Does this make using a catch can not really necessary on an '18 up coyote? Mind = Blown. Hell, now I might as well sell my JLT one if that's the case.
You mean "I'm sorry for insulting you." :wink:
I don't need to lie about my credentials here, nor do I need to be an engineer to do a 1min google search on the injection system. We have known the layout since Jan 2017. I was never debating the fact that DIG systems have increased IVD (intake valve deposits). My point was always that duel fuel systems do clean off IVD when using good fuels. I also worked 3 years in petrochemical development and have a lot of experience with deposits and detergents.
Catch cans aren't a necessity, unless the manufacture requires it. They can help (octane was mentioned above), but the conditions where this is matters can vary.
Sponsored

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
You mean "I'm sorry for insulting you." :wink:
I don't need to lie about my credentials here, nor do I need to be an engineer to do a 1min google search on the injection system. We have known the layout since Jan 2017. I was never debating the fact that DIG systems have increased IVD (intake valve deposits). My point was always that duel fuel systems do clean off IVD when using good fuels. I also worked 3 years in petrochemical development and have a lot of experience with deposits and detergents.
Catch cans aren't a necessity, unless the manufacture requires it. They can help (octane was mentioned above), but the conditions where this is matters can vary.
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
last time I checked mine, it had maybe an ounce of oil in it, over 1 year use and roughly 2k miles. I cleaned it out, changed my oil and didn't really think much about it. Now, thinking about how much oil my Ecoboost caught, the Mustang really must not need one unless its a daily driver. I run E85 so I'm not really worried about octane dilution at all since my starting octane rating is likely over 100. Time to sell the JLT off my '18 it looks like.
That is because you don't drive the car hard enough. On a NA car you arguably don't need a catch can for street driving or pulls in a straight line. If you do any circuit driving then you should have one because you will get blowby. If you have a supercharged car you are pressurising the sump every time you are on boost so you definitely want one for any high performance driving.

Do you need one? No, oil blowby will enter the combustion chamber through the intake system and burn off. It will leave your intake system, manifold and all a little oily and have a marginal effect on overall power but it won't kill your engine or anything if you don't have a catch can.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know about the 18'-19s but my 16' JLT catches quite a bit of oil. I would say a solid tablespoon a half every two weeks. I am completely stock as well. I couldn't imagine all that oil going into my throttle body.
How often do you need to empty a catch can? I would think you could go a long time before it fills up. So every oil change I think would be good. So the can will catch oil but does oil still get through and still cause build up? I know stopping whatever it catches could be better than nothing but is there any long term videos showing a car with a catch can compared to same model without one after say 50k miles being bore scoped or something to see if build up is less?
I have a catch can on both of my cars. I empty them every oil change. That seems to be a good interval.
I have had mine on for about a year. I'm maybe 1/4 of the way up the catch can (mine has a view window). I have about 23k miles on her right now. Personally, interval seems dependent upon size and rate that it fills. For me, I could probably go 50k and not have to bother with it. Those with smaller catch cans may have to do it every oil change. I'm on the fence as far as usefulness when I look at it though. On one hand it seems that it kept a very minimal amount of oil out of the engine considering how many miles I have driven in the year. So my effective octane "increase" seems like it wouldn't have been missed by me. On the other, that is a combustible that is not meant to be a combustible and that is crap I didn't burn over the course of a year. So there is less buildup than if I hadn't had one which translates to improved long term benefits. IDK... seems debatable like others have said.
Sponsored