Updated Shift Forks on 2018

S550Mark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Just curious to anyone who has had their shift forks go out on their 2018's and had them replaced with the revised ones from Ford? Has anyone had the same issue again even after they have been changed?
Sponsored

YoungGT18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Had my transmission rebuilt (bad shift forks) in January....havent had any issues since. I dont race or track it but I did miss a shift while out having fun and had no issues.

JP Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP Knight
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Lost 3rd and 4th. Replaced transmission under warranty to "updated version". Ford Tech said its a 2019 Version - Much more beefy shift forks. Its been 6 months and no issue. I do feel that it much more solid. But time will tell.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
March of last year with about 5k miles my trans spit the bit. It was popping out of gear amongst other things.

My car is a 2019 with a July 2018 build date. So when it blew I was mixed in with all the other 2018 owners whose trans had blown. The wait for new forks and/or a new trans was an extended one.

So I pitched a solution (this was a local AutoNation and they have rows of Mustangs on the lot) where they take a donor trans off a car on the lot and put it in mine and let that car sit until Ford sends them a replacement and they approved it.

The caveat was that it had to be from a 2019 build date. They provided me the VIN of the donor car and it was a January 2019 built trans.

I immediately felt a difference. It was so much more sturdy feeling. In the 13mo’s since I have not had any issues at all. And I drive it hard. One other thing I did was put the BG fluid in it and that too helped.

OP
OP
S550Mark

S550Mark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
March of last year with about 5k miles my trans spit the bit. It was popping out of gear amongst other things.

My car is a 2019 with a July 2018 build date. So when it blew I was mixed in with all the other 2018 owners whose trans had blown. The wait for new forks and/or a new trans was an extended one.

So I pitched a solution (this was a local AutoNation and they have rows of Mustangs on the lot) where they take a donor trans off a car on the lot and put it in mine and let that car sit until Ford sends them a replacement and they approved it.

The caveat was that it had to be from a 2019 build date. They provided me the VIN of the donor car and it was a January 2019 built trans.

I immediately felt a difference. It was so much more sturdy feeling. In the 13mo’s since I have not had any issues at all. And I drive it hard. One other thing I did was put the BG fluid in it and that too helped.
This gives me hope! I should be getting my car back on Monday so ill update with how it feels compared to before. I also plan on purchasing an MGW shifter to help just getting the car to shift that much better.

Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
This gives me hope! I should be getting my car back on Monday so ill update with how it feels compared to before. I also plan on purchasing an MGW shifter to help just getting the car to shift that much better.
Good luck!

Let us know how it does. I’m undecided on which shifter I’m going with but I’ll do it and the drive shaft at the same time. Anything to try to clean up the sloppiness in the driveline.

LucB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luc
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Mine felt better than ever after I got it back. It blew at 12,000 miles. Have 22k now

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I'm on my second transmission! I had my first one lock me out of second gear at high rpm, and then my second trans one day decided to lock me out of all gears except reverse. At the shop getting new trans installed.
Sponsored