Sponsored

Who still has the C-Pillar rattle/buzz?

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
UPDATE: Well, I did it. I managed to kill the rattle in the C-pillar. I tried inserting felt everywhere, rags stuffed into crevices, and pulled everything apart looking for loose pieces, etc. only to have it rattle again. It was driving me absolutely mad..

The answer was to fill the main gap between the metal gas cylinder shield and the base plastic against the body. As the foam expanded, it forced that plastic backing against the body so tight, it won't jiggle around anymore. Also, filled along the sides and up into the crevices between plastic pieces up into the headliner. Basically, every single gap I could find, I filled, trimmed the excess after drying, and lined the inside plastic pillar cover with a layer of 5mm Uxcell sound dampening foam sheeting.

Here's what I used. Stuff works like a charm. That whole C-pillar is completely silent now.

loctite-spray-foam-insulation-1988753-64_1000.jpg
I tried this stuff and unfortunately it didn’t work for me and all I did was make a mess :/ lol

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Now that I quieted the gauge pod rattle when changing it with the GT350 one, I think I have that infamous right C-pillar rattle. Damn. It's not bad yet, so will not do anything about it for now. But if it's sheet-metal rubbing against each other, due to lack of tack welds, no way foam is going to fix that. The first order of business is to find where exactly the noise is coming from. If it's 2 sheet metal surfaces rubbing against each other, driving a few sheet-metal self-tapping screws might fix it. Or screws and ny-lock nuts, if possible to get behind. Need to read the whole thread, to see what was shown.

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
Now that I quieted the gauge pod rattle when changing it with the GT350 one, I think I have that infamous right C-pillar rattle. Damn. It's not bad yet, so will not do anything about it for now. But if it's sheet-metal rubbing against each other, due to lack of tack welds, no way foam is going to fix that. The first order of business is to find where exactly the noise is coming from. If it's 2 sheet metal surfaces rubbing against each other, driving a few sheet-metal self-tapping screws might fix it. Or screws and ny-lock nuts, if possible to get behind. Need to read the whole thread, to see what was shown.
A lot of people were saying it’s the bracket the canister is attached to. Now I have to wind up replacing the whole damn rear airbag system.

Deleted member 35775

my car is currently at the dealership to address several rattles: front dash, headliner or B-Pillar, C-Pilar, wherever. thankfully, all the rattles "lit-up" while the tech took a ride with me. the dash rattle is really loud. car has been at the dealership for 3 days for them to remove the dash components, door covers, pillar covers, and headliner. they said they'll add items back one-at-a-time to test and determine if the rattle is fixed. they also claim to have fixed other '18/'19 models with similar rattles. a salesman said he'd make deal to get me in a GT350 if the rattles can't be fixed. my response: "i'm not jumping from the frying pan into the fire"... i hope to have my car back by the 26-June.

Sponsored

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Hi all. I don’t want to start a new thread to ask a simple question. What is the “carpet” area behind the back seats called (red arrow in pic). I think that’s causing the crinkling noise in my car? Thanks.
0076AFA9-9355-4101-940F-F6131A97DC6E.jpeg

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have a random rattle in that area, so will eventually have to deal with it, as it's only a matter of time before it becomes worse. Not sure what is the exact name of that part, but I'd say 'rear deck'. Why do you suspect it? Did you ride in the back and it quiets down when pushed down? It'd be an easy fix, but honestly doubt that's the culprit. Keep us posted. Good luck.

Sponsored

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
^Good to know.

Thank you for the explanation from Down Under.
But something is telling me that the members from US and UK might even have other names for it.

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Wonder why the OP needed a precise name.
Good question. Because I wanted to be able to search for videos on how to remove it and to communicate with the dealership the correct name if I take it in to have them rule it out as the source of the noise.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550