2019+ Spoiler Replacement Gurney Screws

OP
OP

That_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 K2284 --> L616
I have a ‘19, and my original screws are the same length as the ones in the gurney flap pack (even though the instructions say they’re longer.) I wonder if some dealerships discarded originals screws because they were identical and figured there was no point in keeping both sets.

The ones that came with the ‘19 gurney flap fit perfectly inside the Swing without installing the gurney flap and don’t protrude at all.
Interesting. The gurney flap screws are about 4 mm too long for me to seat on the spoiler itself. This was true for both ‘19 and ‘20 model year.
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Interesting. The gurney flap screws are about 4 mm too long for me to seat on the spoiler itself. This was true for both ‘19 and ‘20 model year.
Interesting. I’d suspect they switched screws on me but the screws that were in the gurney flap package (sealed) are the exact length as the ones that were place holders in the Swing. I can measure the ones I have when I get back to the car tomorrow... now I’m curious.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Interesting. I’d suspect they switched screws on me but the screws that were in the gurney flap package (sealed) are the exact length as the ones that were place holders in the Swing. I can measure the ones I have when I get back to the car tomorrow... now I’m curious.
If the gurney flap screws were in the swing they would protrude. If they are flush, then you got the swing screws only.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Left is the screw that stays in the swing when the Gurney is not attached--should come already inserted in the swing. Right is what is used with the Gurney--come in a separate package of four with the Gurney.

Gurney.jpg

Package.jpg

No part number on the package.

Last edited:

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Left is the screw that stays in the swing when the Gurney is not attached--should come already inserted in the swing. Right is what is used with the Gurney--come in a separate package of four with the Gurney.

Gurney.jpg

Package.jpg

No part number on the package.
I just verified, I have 8 of the shorter screws. It’s weird though since I’m engaging 4 1/2 threads with the flap installed and it feels totally solid. I wonder if I should call ford performance and see if they’ll send me the correct screws.

Sponsored

Voodoo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2019 GT350 & 2023 Ford Raptor
Mine were the same length as well?

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I just mounted the Gurney using only the two center holes using one long and one short screw. Although I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it if I only had the short screws, in a "side-by-side" comparison the difference was very noticeable.

I would definitely NOT trust the short screws to hold the Gurney when driving at speed.

I also reinserted a long screw without the Gurney to confirm that the longer ones would protrude--confirmed. The short screws are needed for when the Gurney is not attached.

Bottom line: recommend calling Ford Performance first and then the dealer, as you noted. That way you will be able to point the dealer in the right direction based on FP's guidance.

Separate:
Posted this on another thread and am even more sold on it now. Actually so sold that I think @Tank should add it to his sticky :)

Tip for storing and transporting the gurney flap when it is not actually on the car...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076GM5X46/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4FY1RB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1

img_0258.jpg
img_0259.jpg

OP
OP

That_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 K2284 --> L616
I just mounted the Gurney using only the two center holes using one long and one short screw. Although I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it if I only had the short screws, in a "side-by-side" comparison the difference was very noticeable.

I would definitely NOT trust the short screws to hold the Gurney when driving at speed.

I also reinserted a long screw without the Gurney to confirm that the longer ones would protrude--confirmed. The short screws are needed for when the Gurney is not attached.

Bottom line: recommend calling Ford Performance first and then the dealer, as you noted. That way you will be able to point the dealer in the right direction based on FP's guidance.

Separate:
Posted this on another thread and am even more sold on it now. Actually so sold that I think @Tank should add it to his sticky :)

Tip for storing and transporting the gurney flap when it is not actually on the car...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076GM5X46/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4FY1RB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1

img_0258.jpg
img_0259.jpg
I called Ford Performance at two different times - once by chat and once by phone -and both times they were going to “get back to me” but never did. I tried contacting a local dealer who confirmed via part search and by confirming with Ford directly that replacement parts (either screw type) are not available separately from the spoiler assembly. I tried contacting Ford Customer Service by chat and they insist that I have to take the whole car to a dealer. I’m gonna take the car in this week for the adjustable strut mount install and ask then but expect the same response from them.

Will see how that goes...

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I called Ford Performance at two different times - once by chat and once by phone -and both times they were going to “get back to me” but never did. I tried contacting a local dealer who confirmed via part search and by confirming with Ford directly that replacement parts (either screw type) are not available separately from the spoiler assembly. I tried contacting Ford Customer Service by chat and they insist that I have to take the whole car to a dealer. I’m gonna take the car in this week for the adjustable strut mount install and ask then but expect the same response from them.

Thanks. Keep me posted!

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Good luck. Picture below may help

Edit: measurement is metric (15mm or 1.5cm) :
measurement.jpg

Last edited:

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
My Gurney Flap was installed and is staying on. Don't understand the track only use.
Please don't quote me (yet) but somewhere I saw (unless it was from my with my phone call with Ford Performance) it actually is a negative to use the flap until your past a speed well beyond any street use (70 and up). I guess it's especially bad when cornering at anything below 70. I think they said it not only adds drag, so it slows down the car, makes the MPG worse, it does so all while the handling is worse as it's assuming the amount of down force is balanced against a certain amount of air pressure coming in under the car, under the hood, etc. They said that's why even if you order it, it isn't installed, it's a track use item. Which is a different reason that they didn't put on the front under bumper part (hits coming off car carriers, etc). otherwise, Ford attaches the part for you, there is normally a reason they don't

If i can find it, I'll send it. But something like that..... maybe it's minor, IDK

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
I had a 2019 GT RTR. Came with a Gurney Flap installed. Most of us wouldn't notice a difference unless it bit us in the ass.
Just leave the damn thing on. I did.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
My new 2019 GT-350 came with the "handling package" and the Gurney Flap was in the trunk with the instruction sheet that looked like a first grade elementary student did the illustrations. The instructions say to use the "longer" screws to attach the flap to the spoiler after you remove the "short" screws from the spoiler. Only problem is that the "longer" screws are nowhere to be found and there is no part number for the proper screws to bolt it on. Down to the hardware store to buy 4- 6MMx 1.00 Coarse screws and washers.
Sure would be nice to get the correct ones.....
I would Gladly pay to get the ones from "Bossard" as they have the large head to properly distribute the clamping force without an additional washer.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
My new 2019 GT-350 came with the "handling package" and the Gurney Flap was in the trunk with the instruction sheet that looked like a first grade elementary student did the illustrations. The instructions say to use the "longer" screws to attach the flap to the spoiler after you remove the "short" screws from the spoiler. Only problem is that the "longer" screws are nowhere to be found and there is no part number for the proper screws to bolt it on. Down to the hardware store to buy 4- 6MMx 1.00 Coarse screws and washers.
Sure would be nice to get the correct ones.....
I would Gladly pay to get the ones from "Bossard" as they have the large head to properly distribute the clamping force without an additional washer.
If you buy the longer screws, they are metric: 6 x 1.5
Shorts are 6 x 1
Thread Pitch is .1

My Gurney came in the trunk like yours. Overzealous dealer opened the package, but everything was present and intact, to include long screws, fortunately. Instructions were like you described and like 16Magnetic posted on the first page, which say at the top that the Gurney is for "track use only"; supplement manual explains that as well.
Sponsored

Last edited: