Kooks Longtube install finished...

greg45p

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt PP1 Premium
Hey op I was thinking of doing the same exact set up. I have borla ATAKs on my 19 so I, like you, don't mind loud but was worried headers would be too obnoxious. I didn't know the borla resonator was designed like that, looks like it wouldn't hinder any power gains. So you would say with the resonator its worth it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Hey op I was thinking of doing the same exact set up. I have borla ATAKs on my 19 so I, like you, don't mind loud but was worried headers would be too obnoxious. I didn't know the borla resonator was designed like that, looks like it wouldn't hinder any power gains. So you would say with the resonator its worth it?
Def worth it and I enjoy the car again. It was too obnoxious with the Xpipe. It still LOUD AF, but I control the sound volume now. Without the resonator, it was LOUD AF at all throttle positions above 1%. Somehow it cancels all the rasp under 3,000 rpms which was the most obnoxious sounding part. The cold starts have been toned way down too and they were extra ridiculous on the Xpipe.

Also, don't get confused with the resonators. The one you want is the Ford Performance by Borla resonator and not the official Borla branded resonator. They are same dimensions on the outside but they are designed way different on the inside. The Borla branded resonator has perforated tubing and fiberglass packing material to deaden sound and acts more like a muffler. The Ford Performance resonator has NON-perforated tubing and 0 fiberglass packing. It uses those air chambers to simply cancel out the shitty 2K-3K rasp.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Great write up and info!! This is why we love this site! Mustang People Helping Mustang People!! !! Thanx.

greg45p

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt PP1 Premium
Def worth it and I enjoy the car again. It was too obnoxious with the Xpipe. It still LOUD AF, but I control the sound volume now. Without the resonator, it was LOUD AF at all throttle positions above 1%. Somehow it cancels all the rasp under 3,000 rpms which was the most obnoxious sounding part. The cold starts have been toned way down too and they were extra ridiculous on the Xpipe.

Also, don't get confused with the resonators. The one you want is the Ford Performance by Borla resonator and not the official Borla branded resonator. They are same dimensions on the outside but they are designed way different on the inside. The Borla branded resonator has perforated tubing and fiberglass packing material to deaden sound and acts more like a muffler. The Ford Performance resonator has NON-perforated tubing and 0 fiberglass packing. It uses those air chambers to simply cancel out the shitty 2K-3K rasp.
Thanks for the reply and clearing up the difference of resonators. Hopefully it fits on my borla ataks

Sponsored

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead but I do have a question. Did you re-use the factory gasket? Or purchase a Kooks specific gasket?

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
YMMV but I reused the stock gaskets when I swapped my LT's. Worked fine but I'm not sure how many times I would do that.

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead but I do have a question. Did you re-use the factory gasket? Or purchase a Kooks specific gasket?
I reused the stock gaskets even though the Kooks came with Cometic MLS gaskets. The stock gaskets are good MLS also and I have no leaks.

If you have any other questions, let me know. That's what this thread is all about.

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks both jmeiers and Troy for your responses. With that, think I'm going to tackle Kooks install this weekend. The used Steeda H-pipe I purchased online should be here today. The plan is to eventually get an E85 tune once I burn thru the tank of 93 I have.

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No problems. If you run into any issues, let me know. You will get thru it. Just have plenty of patience and ratchet wrenches on hand. Once you go E85, you will never go back to 93. I can let my Kooks catless setup idle in the garage on E85 and it smells fine. 93 smell will be nauseating.

Sponsored

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
All n all. Was the headers worth it being NA? Power wise? I’m on the fence but don’t want the cray loudness. Currently just have a Steeda X and active exhaust. I’m sure I’d have to go for the FR by Borla center muffler like you did. How’s the sound compared to an x with active. If you know.

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s worth it if you want to go fast N/A. You only have so much you can do being N/A so you have to maximize what you got. There is no smaller pulley to up the boost. The fastest N/A coyote cars have longtubes and Cobra Jet intake manifolds. My ported CJ arrives this Saturday.

And it’s loud AF without any resonator. If you have Active though, you could just switch it to Quiet or Normal and wouldn’t need a resonator.

I also tried the Magnaflow Tru-X resonator and it is currently up for sale since I put the FP Borla resonator back in. The Magnaflow will quiet your car way down without issue, even if you leave Active exhaust in Track mode.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Well alrighty then. I may spring for the stainless power long tubes then. Thanks!!!!

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The one hang up I have before pressing forward with the install is the tubing size after the collector; specifically the adapter tubing to resonator. I have both 3" x 2-1/4" adapter and full 3" Stainless Steel adapters; both found on Kooks site below.

https://kooksheaders.com/my-vehicle/2018/Ford/Mustang/GT/V8/5.0?ctg=308

My issue is I plan on also installing a Steeda H pipe with its 2-1/2" OD. Did anyone use the 3" x 2-1/4 adapter and live with the restriction if using a 2-1/2" x or h pipe? Or is there another adapter appropriate for 2-1/2"?

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The one hang up I have before pressing forward with the install is the tubing size after the collector; specifically the adapter tubing to resonator. I have both 3" x 2-1/4" adapter and full 3" Stainless Steel adapters; both found on Kooks site below.

https://kooksheaders.com/my-vehicle/2018/Ford/Mustang/GT/V8/5.0?ctg=308

My issue is I plan on also installing a Steeda H pipe with its 2-1/2" OD. Did anyone use the 3" x 2-1/4 adapter and live with the restriction if using a 2-1/2" x or h pipe? Or is there another adapter appropriate for 2-1/2"?
I just used the included connector pipes which neck down from 3" to 2.25". This allowed direct connection to my existing FP by Borla Extreme catback. Unless you are heavily boosted, there is no noticeable restriction there. SEND IT!!!
Sponsored