Sponsored

Tire Rotation Direction?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Took the tires off the wheels today. They’re asymmetric (inside/outside). I forgot to mark which was the L and which was the R. Does that even matter? Is it critical to get the same tire back on the same corner after so many miles?
Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Took the tires off the wheels today. They’re asymmetric (inside/outside). I forgot to mark which was the L and which was the R. Does that even matter? Is it critical to get the same tire back on the same corner after so many miles?
If you have even wear then not really. Depends on how you drive, if the crown of roads where you are is pronounced or not etc.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Not really, they are meant to be rotated.

Deleted member 35644

As long as you re-mount them with the outside facing out, the position on the car is unimportant. I cross mine when I rotate.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Am I missing something? The GT350/R stock front and rear tires are different sizes - they cannot be rotated, only swap L/R.

Sponsored

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Am I missing something? The GT350/R stock front and rear tires are different sizes - they cannot be rotated, only swap L/R.
Nope, you're not missing anything, that's what we're talking bout.

And when I said rotation direction, I meant it in the literal sense; as in which direction the tire rotates when rolling down the road. When you "rotate" tires from L to R, you change this direction. Since I forgot which side I took the tires off of, I was ensuring it doesn't matter.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
They are handed (inside/outside) but not directional (front/rear), so you can flip side to side no problem.

For more general reference, *most* directional tires can also be run backwards in the dry; that is, most directional tires are directional only in tread, and only for water evacuation purposes, so it only matters in the wet. The rare exception: some directional tires actually have an asymmetric carcass that can't be run backwards.

The PSS, PS4S, and Cup 2 are not directional

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
There should be a direction mark on the tire if it's directional. If it is, don't rotate.
Sponsored