Sponsored

Manual: No warm up

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
If you're capable, I would walk that commute or ride a bike, whenever weather permits. It will help you live longer, and that engine of yours.
Sponsored

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
I have never and was never taught to sit there and let the car get hot, that said, over the years dealing with carburetors, you need to let the car warm enough for the choke to release a little. THEN you can slam it in gear and floor it.

OR, do as EX did, turn the key and in the same motion slam it into gear and go. Why yes, my cars Did hate her.

Hooch180

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maciej
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 5.0 (EU)
This makes no sense. Oil pressure is directly related to engine rpm since the pump is driven off the engine. Yes - it is higher during cold start procedure vs. warm start but that lasts a minute or so and only matters at idle.
Doesn't our engine have some kind of "active oil pressure solenoid/valve"?

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
This is definitely a sign of people sitting at home w/o much else going on!

I let mine idle down and then roll out. And I do not shift at high RPMs until my oil is at normal OT.

Sponsored

Lawguy85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mach 1 FJG
tl:dw - has no effect. Really worth a watch though. "warming up" doesn't matter on modern cars, just try not to beat on it until up to temp.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I read the manual and it says NOT to warm.up the vehicle. Just start driving. Why would Ford Engineers advise this?
People should be reading everything in the section headed "ECONOMICAL DRIVING", including that heading. Under that section, two items are mentioned that are related to startup and warmup.
• Avoid long idle periods.
• Do not warm up your vehicle on cold mornings.
It doesn't say "don't idle at all", or define when idling is either acceptable or not.

Nor does it address situations that exist in real life where a little idling/warmup is specifically indicated (such as frost or ice on the outside of the windshield or fogging on the inside).

It's only concerned with maximizing fuel economy. Chances are, it's the exact same boilerplate text that shows up in the owner manuals for every Ford vehicle sold, most of which don't exactly encourage spirited driving at any time.

Norm

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
A couple of things not mentioned in this thread. First, "warm-up" should be defined so everyone is on the same sheet of music. The manual says do not warm-up the vehicle, which (I believe) means don't idle the engine until it is at normal operating temperature. Letting the engine idle while you plug in your phone, adjust your mirrors, put on your seat belt, get your favorite podcast running, etc. is fine. That should give the engine time to flow oil around to all the critical parts and stabilize the mixture for an even idle. That brief 30-60 second period after engine start is not what the manual means by "warm-up."

Second, I believe driver behavior should be dictated by ambient temps. If it's 30+ degrees outside when you cold start, the procedure described above is entirely appropriate. If it's below zero you may need to wait a bit more than 60 seconds for that super-cold oil to circulate around to all the critical engine parts.

I may hear a zipping whiney sound as the shifter passes through the gates. I only have a mile commute so I only go about 45mph.
What you are describing is the syncronizer doing its job. The synchronizer mechanically matches the rotational speed of the gear connected to the engine output shaft with the gear connected to the drive shaft going to the rear wheels. If you turn off the HVAC and infotainment systems and pay close attention you can hear the syncronizers work every time you shift, especially when the transmission oil is cold, and if you move the shift lever slowly between gears. Here's a good tutorial on how the synchronizers work:

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I like to park my manual Stang on a steep hill so I can give it a head start before I turn the car on.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I mean what is 'warm up' ?

I've always given a few seconds to 30 , to almost a min just to let revs settle, never more than 3-4 mins unless I need the defogger while I'm cleaning off snow...

Sponsored
OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
People should be reading everything in the section headed "ECONOMICAL DRIVING", including that heading. Under that section, two items are mentioned that are related to startup and warmup.

It doesn't say "don't idle at all", or define when idling is either acceptable or not.

Nor does it address situations that exist in real life where a little idling/warmup is specifically indicated (such as frost or ice on the outside of the windshield or fogging on the inside).

It's only concerned with maximizing fuel economy. Chances are, it's the exact same boilerplate text that shows up in the owner manuals for every Ford vehicle sold, most of which don't exactly encourage spirited driving at any time.

Norm
It does give a parameter of when not to idle, which is a cold morning. That is relative though because the factor is not definitive. With that said, the converse is not to idle on anything but a cold morning.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It does give a parameter of when not to idle, which is a cold morning.
Keep in mind that it only says that in the context of maximizing fuel economy. No other reason.

Norm

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Not trying to start an argument but driving only a mile to work is pretty hard on the engine.
I have a three mile drive to work. It gives me an excuse to leave early and do a larger loop until engine completely warms up. General rule of thumb is about 15-20 minutes depending on driving. IE Stop and Go or continuous.

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
Regarding oil pressure, don't these engines use an electric oil pump? Watching the gauge the oil pressure really ramps up the more throttle you give it, even in top gear when the RPMs barely change. Then it has a noticeable delay returning to normal when letting off the throttle as if it's anticipating more spirited driving. It doesn't behave at all like any other oil pressure gauge I've watched such as my recent 2017 Focus ST. The oil pressure followed the engine RPM exactly. Anyone know if the oil pump is still mechanical or electric in the mustang?

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
Regarding oil pressure, don't these engines use an electric oil pump? Watching the gauge the oil pressure really ramps up the more throttle you give it, even in top gear when the RPMs barely change. Then it has a noticeable delay returning to normal when letting off the throttle as if it's anticipating more spirited driving. It doesn't behave at all like any other oil pressure gauge I've watched such as my recent 2017 Focus ST. The oil pressure followed the engine RPM exactly. Anyone know if the oil pump is still mechanical or electric in the mustang?
Mechanical pump. And the oil pressure gauge in your ST is faked by the ECU, it does not have a proper gauge sender.

I think it would be a TERRIBLE idea to have an electric oil pump, and to my knowledge, I don't know of any cars that do. One electrical gremlin and BOOM.
Sponsored