Sponsored

Volume of the Mishimoto Axleback Pro exhausts for the Mustang GT 15+

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I know the mishimoto pro axlebacks have been spoken about a bit for the Mustang GT 15/16/17.

But does anyone have an idea of volume of them with a stock resonator?

The manufacturer said they do not have decibel readings for them.

Does anyone have this set up, with a descriptive idea of sound level if not a technical one?

Or does anyone know how they compare in volume to the Roush AB with stock resonator?

Iā€™m trying to make sure I donā€™t order something too loud for the neighbors!

many thanks in advance
Sponsored

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Iā€™ve got the Roush axle backs on mine with standard centre resonator and they are pretty loud on cold start, and very loud on revs. Others will disagree and thereā€™s obviously louder exhausts out there but I would imagine the Mishimoto items will sound similar seeing as they look almost identical to the Roush items.

plenty of videos on YouTube of both the Roush and mishimoto items to listen to :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Iā€™ve got the Roush axle backs on mine with standard centre resonator and they are pretty loud on cold start, and very loud on revs. Others will disagree and thereā€™s obviously louder exhausts out there but I would imagine the Mishimoto items will sound similar seeing as they look almost identical to the Roush items.

plenty of videos on YouTube of both the Roush and mishimoto items to listen to :thumbsup:

Thank you for your response! I appreciate your description very much.

I hope I can find someone who has the Mishimoto Pro with the stock resonator for a good idea on volume...

From what you said it sounds like it might just about be okay for the neighbors with a stock resonator... :lipssealed:

pardoneo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex-'16 Mustang EcoBaby // Current '16 GT Convertible
Hi!

funny your topic, I had the same questions than you in December and no one was able to respond.

I finally went and bought them for my GT vert, keeping the center resonator stock, so any question let me know.

BUT last week I had to revert the axle backs back to stock. I donā€™t know if it was because I mount them on my Convertible or because I drive a manual tranny but I could not stand the sound from inside.
Let me explain: cold start and WOT was awesome, very deep and very american, and standard drone at cruising speeds was something which you can live with (I mean, noticeable that the exhaust was not stock but not honda civic ā€˜riceā€™)

The problem was the following: when cruising in 6th gear between 60-65-70mph and 2000 rpm with the speed set, if you face a hill or you want to increase your speed by bearly touching the throttle or using the steering wheel crusing buttons, the drone was impossible to deal with it, like a bass trombone blowing hard from inside. If you decrease a gear the sound became manageable because you can cruise at 65 in 5th gear and 3000 rpm, but then what is the point of 6th, and the gas consumption increased.

I hope you find this helpful! (Forgive my english :( ) any questions do let me know! Glad to help.

long story short: bought them, had them two months installed, then sold them because the sound from inside was unbearable for me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hi!

funny your topic, I had the same questions than you in December and no one was able to respond.

I finally went and bought them for my GT vert, keeping the center resonator stock, so any question let me know.

BUT last week I had to revert the axle backs back to stock. I donā€™t know if it was because I mount them on my Convertible or because I drive a manual tranny but I could not stand the sound from inside.
Let me explain: cold start and WOT was awesome, very deep and very american, and standard drone at cruising speeds was something which you can live with (I mean, noticeable that the exhaust was not stock but not honda civic ā€˜riceā€™)

The problem was the following: when cruising in 6th gear between 60-65-70mph and 2000 rpm with the speed set, if you face a hill or you want to increase your speed by bearly touching the throttle or using the steering wheel crusing buttons, the drone was impossible to deal with it, like a bass trombone blowing hard from inside. If you decrease a gear the sound became manageable because you can cruise at 65 in 5th gear and 3000 rpm, but then what is the point of 6th, and the gas consumption increased.

I hope you find this helpful! (Forgive my english :( ) any questions do let me know! Glad to help.

long story short: bought them, had them two months installed, then sold them because the sound from inside was unbearable for me.

Thanks for your response, this is very useful!

I too have a convertible, but automatic.
I wonder if itā€™s because itā€™s a convertible you had that excessive drone.

Did you consider the Mishimoto Streets instead of going back to stock? Did you have to weld your stock ones back on?

I feel the Mishimoto streets might be underwhelming for the price and time. Just worried the Pros are too overwhelming..!

Also did you think the cold start up with the Pros is obnoxiously loud for close neighbors, or is it about right?

Last edited:

pardoneo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your response, this is very useful!

I too have a convertible, but automatic.
I wonder if itā€™s because itā€™s a convertible you had that excessive drone.

Did you consider the Mishimoto Streets instead of going back to stock? Did you have to weld your stock ones back on?

I feel the Mishimoto streets might be underwhelming for the price and time. Just worried the Pros are too overwhelming..!

Also did you think the cold start up with the Pros is obnoxiously loud for close neighbors, or is it about right?
The drone was only present in that precise situation, when crusing at or below 2000-2200 rpm 6th gear and I wanted to slightly increase my speed without reducing a gear. For me the sound was unbearable, very annoying. Every other situation was perfectly fine.
Tunnel runs without the roof were smiles all over the place. Also stop light acceleration, and city driving. If the Mustang is a turnheads car, imagine with this exhaust. But this for me was 1% of the driving situations. I do not daily drive my Stang but I started to find myself not looking forward to drive it because of the excess of bass trombone sound at cruising speeds.

Before my GT Vert I had a EcoBaby Fastback in which I installed a Magnaflow Street Catback. DonĀ“t get me wrong, the sound was very deep but after more than 1500 quid I wanted just a bit more. So that is why I went with the Pro axlebacks in the GT (middle sound available, because I was picturing myself again saying: man, I should had gone to the more aggressive tone...)

I touched base with my local distributor after this 'issue' to consider getting the Street version, but they had no reference on the sound and, although they were keen on arranging a discount on the product, the experiment was going to let me down 700 quid (taking into account one hour of labour instalation). I know that experimentation and failure are hand in hand, but for me it was enough experimentation for the time being. I did not want to buy the Street ones and have the same exact issue, because it is only under a precise load and situation.
Finally sold the ProĀ“s with a final balance of -300 quid (80% in labour, because the instalation I am not able to do it myself).

No welding is needed to put the stock ones back on, just a couple of metalic braces or clamps long enough to fix both sides in place. See pictures: The bigger axle back is the stock one.

Anything you need do let me know. My GT Vert is a 2016 manual trans, EU Spec (with sync2), engine is pure stock, no filter, no CAI. Mods are: FP Catch Can, FP hood struts and FP Tower Strut. View attachment 443963 View attachment 443964
IMG_0802.jpg
IMG_2926.jpg

Cold start is obviously loud and you can hear it from up to 100 feet. Never crushed into a neighbor, but in this aspect I dont give a sh$%. In my case, my wife could hear me firing up from our flat which is two stories above my garaje. But it rapidly trims back to idle and from inside is not as overwhelming as from the outside.

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The drone was only present in that precise situation, when crusing at or below 2000-2200 rpm 6th gear and I wanted to slightly increase my speed without reducing a gear. For me the sound was unbearable, very annoying. Every other situation was perfectly fine.
Tunnel runs without the roof were smiles all over the place. Also stop light acceleration, and city driving. If the Mustang is a turnheads car, imagine with this exhaust. But this for me was 1% of the driving situations. I do not daily drive my Stang but I started to find myself not looking forward to drive it because of the excess of bass trombone sound at cruising speeds.

Before my GT Vert I had a EcoBaby Fastback in which I installed a Magnaflow Street Catback. DonĀ“t get me wrong, the sound was very deep but after more than 1500 quid I wanted just a bit more. So that is why I went with the Pro axlebacks in the GT (middle sound available, because I was picturing myself again saying: man, I should had gone to the more aggressive tone...)

I touched base with my local distributor after this 'issue' to consider getting the Street version, but they had no reference on the sound and, although they were keen on arranging a discount on the product, the experiment was going to let me down 700 quid (taking into account one hour of labour instalation). I know that experimentation and failure are hand in hand, but for me it was enough experimentation for the time being. I did not want to buy the Street ones and have the same exact issue, because it is only under a precise load and situation.
Finally sold the ProĀ“s with a final balance of -300 quid (80% in labour, because the instalation I am not able to do it myself).

No welding is needed to put the stock ones back on, just a couple of metalic braces or clamps long enough to fix both sides in place. See pictures: The bigger axle back is the stock one.

Anything you need do let me know. My GT Vert is a 2016 manual trans, EU Spec (with sync2), engine is pure stock, no filter, no CAI. Mods are: FP Catch Can, FP hood struts and FP Tower Strut. View attachment 443963 View attachment 443964
IMG_0802.jpg
IMG_2926.jpg

Cold start is obviously loud and you can hear it from up to 100 feet. Never crushed into a neighbor, but in this aspect I dont give a sh$%. In my case, my wife could hear me firing up from our flat which is two stories above my garaje. But it rapidly trims back to idle and from inside is not as overwhelming as from the outside.

Thank you ever so much for your detailed response! It is really kind of you to go into so much detail, I'm sure this will help many others as well as myself!

It is really useful to know about the longer clamps instead of welding. Also I think you have made me feel the neighbor situation will just about be okay..!
The issue now is the drone you have mentioned - I am going to have a think about what to do before making a deicision - see if I can find anyone else who has this unbearable drone in 6th while accelerating.

Is it only while accelerating at that speed and rpm in 6th? Just that unbearable?

pardoneo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you ever so much for your detailed response! It is really kind of you to go into so much detail, I'm sure this will help many others as well as myself!

It is really useful to know about the longer clamps instead of welding. Also I think you have made me feel the neighbor situation will just about be okay..!
The issue now is the drone you have mentioned - I am going to have a think about what to do before making a deicision - see if I can find anyone else who has this unbearable drone in 6th while accelerating.

Is it only while accelerating at that speed and rpm in 6th? Just that unbearable?
Is just that precise situation, for me, completely unbearable for a cruising attitude in which a simple change in speed increase (e.g. facing a hill) and stuck in 6th gear (manual trans) sounded like a huge bass trombone for the duration of the acceleration to keep up with the selected speed. Then (downhill or just maintaining a flat speed attitude) sounded perfectly fine and bearable.

Again, maybe is just me that I was not expected such a noise. I have to say I only miss it today as a turnheads weapon, but not for the rest of the car use cases :D

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
UPDATE :

Okay so in the end I went with the Mishimoto Streets (with stock resonator) over the Pros, due to my concern with disturbing the neighbors.

It averages about a 8db volume increase, so a pinch louder than stock, and it has a nicer deeper tone. I have experienced no drone what so ever, and with the windows up during cruising it's not even really a noticeable change. It's only when you put your foot on it, or a cold start, but again it's only slightly. When the windows are down however you really notice it putting the pedal to the metal.

For me as much as I would have like the Pros to try, it's perfect as I suspect the Pros would disturb my neighbors too much. It has added that kick to the car, the depth of tone & volume it should really come from the factory with. Whilst at the same time it's not obnoxiously loud, avoids too much unwanted attention, and is not going to ever get annoying on long drives as it sounds almost the same inside the cabin!

Sponsored

inky5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 5.0GT Fastback

Hi Adam,
Iā€™m thinking of getting a better sound from my MY17 GT and was considering Roush Axle Backs (with no other changes). Are you pleased with the sound??
Also, whereā€™s the best place to get them from?
Thanks,

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Hi Adam,
Iā€™m thinking of getting a better sound from my MY17 GT and was considering Roush Axle Backs (with no other changes). Are you pleased with the sound??
Also, whereā€™s the best place to get them from?
Thanks,
Im very happy with the sound from them, they are quiet and rumbly when you want and loud on full throttle although they have been on a year and a half now and Iā€™m tempted to add a H pipe as Iā€™m used to the noise now. As for buying them Iā€™m not sure as I got mine used from MAP tuning in Bradford, Mountune are a good place and are usually up for a little discount on items if you ask!

inky5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Im very happy with the sound from them, they are quiet and rumbly when you want and loud on full throttle although they have been on a year and a half now and Iā€™m tempted to add a H pipe as Iā€™m used to the noise now. As for buying them Iā€™m not sure as I got mine used from MAP tuning in Bradford, Mountune are a good place and are usually up for a little discount on items if you ask!
Great - many thanks!

inky5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Ordered them from MAP - 2 week wait for supply. Canā€™t wait!!
Thanks for the recommendation.
Sponsored