Sponsored

Anybody buying this media fueled COVID-19 bull schitt?

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
So typically 20,000 Americans die from the flu every year and so far 3,000 have died from Covid 19. Hopefully it won't end up being as bad as some people are saying.
Yeah, let's downplay the pandemic, shall we?

I can not overstate my disbelief that people like @Hack are still on this 'oh, well it's not flu bad' as if the flu has killed more Americans this year than covid19. As if the hospitalization rate is higher with the flu than it is with covid19. As if we don't have a global pandemic because of covid19 and not the flu.

There is no herd immunity for covid19 so it could theoretically infect the entire population.
There is no vaccine, whereas, the flu has annual shots.
Covid19 has symptoms that can persist for over a month, unlike the flu which typically clear after a week.
Covid19 has 10 times the hospitalization rate of the flu and roughly 20% of covid19 infections result in serious symptoms that require medical intervention.
Covid19 can be transmitted without the infected showing symptoms making it much more difficult to control.
The fatality rate of covid19 is 20-30 times higher than the fatality rate of the flu.
Covid19 spreads significantly faster than the flu.

Now consider the multiplicative effect that all of these attributes have for the virus. Compared to the flu, covid19 spreads faster; kills far more; is harder to control; requires use of far more medical resources; for far longer a period of time; has no effective treatment, and can infect possibly the entire population. If left unchecked, covid19 is far more likely to overwhelm the country's medical infrastructure. Additionally, when medical infrastructure is overwhelmed, the fatality rate will skyrocket because we know 20% of cases require medical intervention.

It doesn't take a genius to piece it all together. This virus is potentially devastating if containment measures fail. Far far far worse than the seasonal flu.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
So typically 20,000 Americans die from the flu every year and so far 3,000 have died from Covid 19. Hopefully it won't end up being as bad as some people are saying.
The North American International Auto Show, scheduled for Detroit this June has been cancelled. It is cancelled because the TCF Center where it would be held has been designated by FEMA as a prime location for a field hospital capable(?) of dealing with the hospitalization expected as the cases increase. Can't remember the last time that happened for the flu. 1918 maybe?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The North American International Auto Show, scheduled for Detroit this June has been cancelled. It is cancelled because the TCF Center where it would be held has been designated by FEMA as a prime location for a field hospital capable(?) of dealing with the hospitalization expected as the cases increase. Can't remember the last time that happened for the flu. 1918 maybe?
I hope they don't need all that space. That would be terrible for those sick people.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the midst of all this, I've just stumbled across a statement that seems to support the idea that Camaro ain't quite dead yet...

This is clipped from an autoblog.com article on product development work that GM is delaying due to COVID-19...

According to the Detroit News, work has also been paused on the Chevy Camaro and a future version of the Corvette that has yet to be unveiled and wasn't planned for production during the 2020 calendar year.

Hard to stop development work on something that you aren't working on.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
In the midst of all this, I've just stumbled across a statement that seems to support the idea that Camaro ain't quite dead yet...

This is clipped from an autoblog.com article on product development work that GM is delaying due to COVID-19...

According to the Detroit News, work has also been paused on the Chevy Camaro and a future version of the Corvette that has yet to be unveiled and wasn't planned for production during the 2020 calendar year.

Hard to stop development work on something that you aren't working on.
Current thoughts are the Camaro will get another refresh to keep it going till 2023. After that no one really knows but if the Mach-E does well expect a Camaro-E as well.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current thoughts are the Camaro will get another refresh to keep it going till 2023. After that no one really knows but if the Mach-E does well expect a Camaro-E as well.
Pretty much. I think a Camaro-E is a lock. Open question is whether it is alongside of or instead of an ICE+hybrid Camaro.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Really people, talking new cars, right now they are making ventilators to save the human race, new cars can wait and will .

TC

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Really people, talking new cars, right now they are making ventilators to save the human race, new cars can wait and will .

TC

UUmmm car forum....sorry, that might come across worse than I want it to. Personally though I like car talk much more than political BS. But either way, this is one of the virus threads. Hope you and yours are doing as well as can be.

At the work sight here in Colorado, me and my 10 or so co workers are all staying as healthy and clean as we can. Also giving side eyes to every cough and sneeze. Living out of hotels has us all on edge as our chances of getting it seem higher, every 3 days a potential carrier is mandated by law to come into our rooms. Food situation is the same for every human. Then we're going in to work on an army base full of kids that think the virus is fake or doesn't apply to them. At least the gate guards are using an automated system so they don't even have to get next to our cars. Impossible to keep social distance from some of my co workers though, so if one of us gets it, we'll all be exposed. Pizza guy gets a bigger tip than normal during these times, he's on the front lines doing actual essential work. Also happy to report my wife at home is just fine in her bunker. Times like these make me happy I married a warrior.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
aarsh75q-png.png

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Just had an "all hands" meeting to be told that even us as out of state contractors, need to not only honor the shelter in place thing but also, stay within 30 miles of our work area. The amount of head shaking and people being overly resistant to the information coming out was baffling. Many of these guys likely don't leave their hotel rooms anyways but freaked out over the news of not being able to go 31+ miles away from our work area. Makes wonder how weird they think I am for being so okay with it. I've already been limiting my ventures outside the work/hotel to my once a week grocery shopping. Haven't been hanging with friends here or anything, just work and hotel. Maybe because I'm an avid gamer it's easier for me? Anyways, I'm sure some of these guys are going to break the rules just because. Heard one guy say it's not going to stop him from stopping at "his" brewery that's 100 miles away. I get not surrendering freedoms and protecting our rights and keeping our free will, but for the good of all, why can't some people just sit down and breathe?
Sponsored