They’re After Us !

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - The latest assault on us drivers is the CDC’s 2 week ban on non-essential travel in NY, NJ and CT. I suspect we’re all concerned about this pandemic and have compassion for our communities and the population at large, but this seems a little overboard. How is my taking a leisurely (or perhaps not so leisurely) drive in my car problematic? Other than the occasional encounter with a self serve gas pump while using a pair of gloves, what the contagion risk? Maybe we could get a note from a car guy shrink attesting to the necessity of an occasional drive to prevent a complete mental breakdown. I think I have to drive to my Pharmacy to get some Valium. I didn’t see anything that said I have to take the most direct route... Bruce from western NY

P.S. I admit there is the risk, albeit small, that automobile accidents can result in requiring medical services at already stressed hospitals, but.......
Sponsored

Last edited:

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Grabber Blue A10
I agree wholeheartedly Bruce! I think quite a bit of this “social distancing”- god forbid we actually call things what they actually are in this day & age, is going a bit overboard at this point.

GRNMSTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I appreciate the concern equally -- going for drives is one of the only thing keeping me sane!

That said, the CDC's advisory on domestic travel does not overrule NY, NJ or CT executive orders:

CDC Issues Domestic Travel Advisory for New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
The CDC urges residents of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut to refrain from non-essential domestic travel for 14 days effective immediately. This Domestic Travel Advisory does not apply to employees of critical infrastructure industries, including but not limited to trucking, public health professionals, financial services, and food supply. These employees of critical infrastructure, as defined by the Department of Homeland Security (https://www.cisa.gov/publication/guidance-essential-critical-infrastructure-workforceexternal icon) have a special responsibility to maintain normal work schedule. The Governors of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut will have full discretion to implement this Domestic Travel Advisory.

Further, as Gov Murphy said this morning on television -- the CDC advisory simply adds another limitation (traveling out of state). In NJ, you can see this clearly at https://covid19.nj.gov/search.html?query=can+i+drive which says:

Do I need any special credentials to drive on New Jersey roads during this emergency?

No. Under Governor Murphy's Executive Order 107, the ""stay at home"" order, New Jersey residents can leave their homes and drive on state roads for the following reasons:
  1. Obtaining goods or services from essential retail businesses,
  2. Obtaining takeout food or beverages from restaurants, other dining establishments, or food courts
  3. Seeking medical attention, essential social services, or assistance from law enforcement or emergency services
  4. Visiting family or other individuals with whom the resident has a close personal relationship, such as those for whom the individual is a caretaker or romantic partner
  5. Reporting to, or performing, their job walking, running, operating a wheelchair, or engaging in outdoor activities with immediate family members, caretakers, household members, or romantic partners while following best social distancing practices with other individuals, including staying six feet apart
  6. Leaving the home for an educational, religious, or political reason
  7. Leaving because of a reasonable fear for his or her health or safety
  8. Leaving at the direction of law enforcement or other government agency
Once the rain stops, I'll be out for drive -- to check on family members, of course!

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
Hi - The latest assault on us drivers is the CDC’s 2 week ban on non-essential travel in NY, NJ and CT. I suspect we’re all concerned about this pandemic and have compassion for our communities and the population at large, but this seems a little overboard. How is my taking a leisurely (or perhaps not so leisurely) drive in my car problematic? Other than the occasional encounter with a self serve gas pump while using a pair of gloves, what the contagion risk? Maybe we could get a note from a car guy shrink attesting to the necessity of an occasional drive to prevent a complete mental breakdown. I think I have to drive to my Pharmacy to get some Valium. I didn’t see anything that said I have to take the most direct route... Bruce from western NY

P.S. I admit there is the risk, albeit small, that automobile accidents can result in requiring medical services at already stressed hospitals, but.......
Tough times for all of us. I am still working here in the republic of kalifornia. I am in agriculture. Working but not supossed to see my girlfriend who lives 10 mi from me near the sac river. Life sucks right now. I cant go to the gym....ride my bike do to an injury. So what did i do today?
Drove my Bullitt through the delta to get a take out burger from a joint on the sac river. Had the roads to myself...but mostly behaved. Dont want do to be a target.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Leaving the home for an educational, religious, or political reason

Yes, officer, driving my Mustang is how I meditate. It's my guaranteed 1st amendment right. :D

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
We are under a shelter in place order and there’s a 11pm-5am curfew. I suspect few people will be stopped and interrogated just in commuting but the goal is to break up bored groups of people from gathering.

I hate it but I’m good with keeping out of the public. I’ll go ride my bike, run, fish, drive etc all away from people.
Sponsored