Sponsored

Need help with Catless Exhaust Combination

karbate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Does anyone have videos or suggestions for a nice sounding catless setup?
I used to run shorty headers, x-pipe, muffler delete before I went catless and that was my all-time favorite.

Then I went catless and was basically full straight pipe and it sounded good WOT but terrible anywhere else, like it had no tone after 2.5K RPM it would just be BRRAAAAAPPP.

As of right now, I'm running Brent Hecht's setup from YouTube; shorty headers, catless x pipe with jones resonator and 18" mufflers and I'm not really a fan because it's too quiet for me. After 4K rpm, it would just be as quiet as stock exhaust. Mine just sounds way different compared to his setup for some reason because his sounded loud on vid.

Soo, I'm open for suggestions before I go sinking more money into my exhaust haha :whew:
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I think mine sounds nice, but if that one is too quiet for you mine would probably be way too quiet lol.

Shorties > No Cats > Tru X Resonator > Ford Performance by Borla Touring mufflers

I had a Steeda X before the Tru X when I took this video but ended up taking it out to get some extra clearance due to the way it was welded in originally.

edit » since you originally had the full straight pipe set up, why not go half way between that and your current? Replace the mufflers with another set of resonators instead. Resonators clean up the sound, mufflers quiet it down.

OP
OP
karbate

karbate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
edit » since you originally had the full straight pipe set up, why not go half way between that and your current? Replace the mufflers with another set of resonators instead. Resonators clean up the sound, mufflers quiet it down.
You mean replacing the 18" mufflers I have on now after the X-pipe with another pair of Jones resonator? Or just a straight pipe, because I have a pair of jones resonator in place of the cats atm.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
You mean replacing the 18" mufflers I have on now after the X-pipe with another pair of Jones resonator? Or just a straight pipe, because I have a pair of jones resonator in place of the cats atm.
Thinking more on the line of the first one, but could be cheaper to try straight pipe first and then swap to another set of resonators if you aren't a fan of the sound. Could also see if a shop could fab up some "quick" clamps so you can go back and forth too (reasonable on weekdays, loud on weekends lol).

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
What brand mufflers did you buy? So your setup is; HEADERS > CAT DELETES > X-PIPE > RESONATORS > MUFFLERS ? If this is so then reason your quiet, more than likely, is you have you have your resonators and mufflers incorrectly placed and stacked in your downstream. Resonators should be in front of your X-Pipe then mufflers (If you have the correct type - straight through) further down stream AFTER X-Pipe.

Sponsored

OP
OP
karbate

karbate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
What brand mufflers did you buy? So your setup is; HEADERS > CAT DELETES > X-PIPE > RESONATORS > MUFFLERS ? If this is so then reason your quiet, more than likely, is you have you have your resonators and mufflers incorrectly placed and stacked in your downstream. Resonators should be in front of your X-Pipe then mufflers (If you have the correct type - straight through) further down stream AFTER X-Pipe.
No, I had it exactly like Brent Hecht's setup. It was Shorty Headers > Jones Resonator > X-Pipe > Mufflers > Straight through the back. It sounded good but it's quiet from 2k-3k RPM at 3-4k its perfect, and after 4k RPM, it gets quiet it sounds stock

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
No, I had it exactly like Brent Hecht's setup. It was Shorty Headers > Jones Resonator > X-Pipe > Mufflers > Straight through the back. It sounded good but it's quiet from 2k-3k RPM at 3-4k its perfect, and after 4k RPM, it gets quiet it sounds stock
I honestly cant fathom why your exhaust is quiet if your setup replicates Brent's setup unless your mufflers aren't straight thru design. There really isn't any reason for that...can you get a picture or video of your underside so we can see the setup from front to back?

OP
OP
karbate

karbate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I honestly cant fathom why your exhaust is quiet if your setup replicates Brent's setup unless your mufflers aren't straight thru design. There really isn't any reason for that...can you get a picture or video of your underside so we can see the setup from front to back?
IBsp8C9.png

After the muffler is just straight through to quad tips

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly cant fathom why your exhaust is quiet
I don't think it's that it is objectively quiet, it's that it isn't as loud as full catless straight piped but has a better tone.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
I don't think it's that it is objectively quiet, it's that it isn't as loud as full catless straight piped but has a better tone.
Its the way he is describing it. Sounds like not very loud. I have seen and hears this setup and its loud to me and quite droney too but yes a great tone.

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
IBsp8C9.png

After the muffler is just straight through to quad tips
Those mufflers look very long. Could be the picture angle but they look big. If they are as long and as big as I think they are thats why it seems quieter. More muffler doing its job, but I think its the picture angle. If they are the type used in the normal setup than it really just be you and you like real loud lol.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
It seems unusual that any setup would be nice and loud at 3-4k and then get quiet as stock above 4k. Could the setup somehow have too much back pressure or be restricting flow at higher rpms? Does it feel like there's any loss of power when it gets quiet?

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
It seems unusual that any setup would be nice and loud at 3-4k and then get quiet as stock above 4k. Could the setup somehow have too much back pressure or be restricting flow at higher rpms? Does it feel like there's any loss of power when it gets quiet?
Well also gearing has something to do with resonance when cruising too. You could be nice a loud accelerating and then at cruising RPMs at 75mph on 3.15s zero drone. Same scenario using 3.73s hella loud and lots of drone. But like you said if we ate talking pure hammer down and it goes quiet at 4k rpms thats odd, but maybe he is talking cruising speed, dunno.

MustangDominance

Professional Fast guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Mustang
Does anyone have videos or suggestions for a nice sounding catless setup?
I used to run shorty headers, x-pipe, muffler delete before I went catless and that was my all-time favorite.

Then I went catless and was basically full straight pipe and it sounded good WOT but terrible anywhere else, like it had no tone after 2.5K RPM it would just be BRRAAAAAPPP.

As of right now, I'm running Brent Hecht's setup from YouTube; shorty headers, catless x pipe with jones resonator and 18" mufflers and I'm not really a fan because it's too quiet for me. After 4K rpm, it would just be as quiet as stock exhaust. Mine just sounds way different compared to his setup for some reason because his sounded loud on vid.

Soo, I'm open for suggestions before I go sinking more money into my exhaust haha :whew:
Check my build out. I’ve gone through 8 different setups to get this sound.

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
Aside from the legality and emissions aspect, keeping catalytic converters in place offers a benefit to the sound as well. They act as a muffler, creating a deeper sound and preventing the overly raspy tone you usually get on catless cars. Something to consider...
Sponsored