Day Time Running Lights

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Jez, you're hard work. I know you like your DRLs! the comment was for people that don't.

Now run along and tell everybody how you don't like the stitching.
Ahh resorting to belittling comments to try to 'win' your argument - who rattled your cage ?

I may be getting short of memory, but I can't remember what the fascinating stitching thread was you are referring to. That obviously upset you too.

Maybe you would be better off just ignoring me if you find it all so irritating - I think there is a button for it (probably the wrong shape for you but go with it)
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I dislike them enough to turn my side lights on if I'm driving in the daylight, then I know my taillights are lit up too. I do this and I'm fully aware I can't see the effects whilst i'm sat in the drivers seat lol
I do this...:like:

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Me too. Although one day I plan to get round to disabling drlā€™s with forscan

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Me too. Although one day I plan to get round to disabling drlā€™s with forscan
*You need them for MOT's :D!

I just deleted my fogs rewired my tribars and sidelights to be DRL and sidelights (Dimming mode on DRLs for indicating) and jobs a good-un :D

Maoilearca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2
Can you work something up with an O ring or sponge rubber. They are LED so wont get hot. They are sold for the purpose so should fit properly.
Follow up: the wonderful TVR101 (Woody) gave me some rubber seal to use - plugs the gap perfectly. Chrome trim had to go to allow it space, but a little innovation with other bits of trim lightens the whole look (and I hope takes eye way from any visible rubberiness!)
IMG_6041.jpg
IMG_6039.jpg
IMG_6046.jpg

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
*You need them for MOT's :D!
Not on mine I wonā€™t as mine is registered in December 2016. The MOT requirement for DRLā€™s is first registered March 2018 onwards. :)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Not on mine I wonā€™t as mine is registered in December 2016. The MOT requirement for DRLā€™s is first registered March 2018 onwards. :)
I thought it used to be on 2012+'s lol! Just checked, seems to be 18 onwards, happy days!

Dannyh1991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Ecoboost

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
glad you sorted it mate.. now you can get rid of the damn DRL's and use the holes for something useful, like brake cooling.

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
I thought it used to be on 2012+'s lol! Just checked, seems to be 18 onwards, happy days!

To be fair both he and you are right.

It is illegal to not have DRL on a car first built after Feb 2011.

(European Directive 76/656/EEC, as amended by 2008/89/EC, concerning the installation of lighting and light-signalling devices on motor vehicles and their trailers.)

Vehicle manufacturers must fit DRL to new types of passenger car and light goods vehicle (car derived vans) type approved to European vehicle requirements from February 2011. In practice this means that any new model launched after this date, and many launched before, will be fitted with DRL. However, existing models on sale before this date without DRL fitted can continue to be sold and used indefinitely.)

However it was only an MOT requirement after March 2018.

So weirdly you could (emphasis on could, it's probably highly unlikely) be pulled over and prosecuted under the EU (now UK ) law for not having DRL on a 2012/17 car, but you would pass an MOT while not having them.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The MOT requirements and build requirements were different. Cars type approved after 2011 had to have them fitted which ensured pretty much every car had them by 2018. I think the last car to get DRL's was the Lotus Evora which just missed the original 2011 cut off and wasn't re-type approved until 2016 with the facelift.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-running-lights

6% reduction in daytime accidents which is quite a lot for a pretty insignificant cost when designed in.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair both he and you are right.

It is illegal to not have DRL on a car first built after Feb 2011.

(European Directive 76/656/EEC, as amended by 2008/89/EC, concerning the installation of lighting and light-signalling devices on motor vehicles and their trailers.)

Vehicle manufacturers must fit DRL to new types of passenger car and light goods vehicle (car derived vans) type approved to European vehicle requirements from February 2011. In practice this means that any new model launched after this date, and many launched before, will be fitted with DRL. However, existing models on sale before this date without DRL fitted can continue to be sold and used indefinitely.)

However it was only an MOT requirement after March 2018.

So weirdly you could (emphasis on could, it's probably highly unlikely) be pulled over and prosecuted under the EU (now UK ) law for not having DRL on a 2012/17 car, but you would pass an MOT while not having them.

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, Schedule 4 makes interesting reading.

(ii)Minimum height above the groundā€“500mm

(A)Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragraph (B):

(iii)If the dipped-beam headlamp does not bear an approval mark and the headlamp cannot also be used as a main-beam headlamp its aim shall be set so as not to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road;

all these different regs tend to contradict each other.. if it were that the lights of a car should be set as not to cause discomfort / dazzle other road users many cars on the roads would be illegal. The s550.1 DRL's are also under 0.5m from the ground, even more so if you lower your car.....
Sponsored