Sponsored

How to reduce too high Cylinder Head Temperature on race track?

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
THE 18 suffers on roadcourse. Period.
I have
Big mishi radiator
Oil cooler ( with ext thermostat)
Hood vents.
But still overheating. Also because i hace a big trans cooler for my A10.

The only thing that fixed this is :
Ducting my coolers and radiator.
And creating a water spray system to spray the coolers /radiator.
I definetely suggest the ducting. Feel free to contact me :)
Alex
20191008_105744.jpg
20191008_105555_HDR.jpg
20191008_105606.jpg
Screenshot_20200329-135422.png
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

audioslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I get the feeling you might be leaving something on the table by not having a tune optimised for your thermostat but more importantly the prolonged run time under heavy load.
Why a tune optimised for my thermostat?

You would benefit from more airflow through the radiator. The lack of hood ventilation limits your cooling capability. Highly recommend this https://racelouvers.com/mustang-18-19-center-hood-louvers-rt-track-trim/
Thanks for input, but I want to leave the hood stock, so that's not an option for me.

THE 18 suffers on roadcourse. Period.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I definetely suggest the ducting. Feel free to contact me :)
Looks interesting! I'll send you a message.
I don't want to do any Endurance races, the car is still my daily. If it runs 30 min without overheating would be fine.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Easy. Run E85. You're welcome. lol

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Easy. Run E85. You're welcome. lol
No kidding, cannot believe the road course crowd has not adopted one of the best cylinder heat reducers available...? Plus they all want run on the hottest days with windows up (no a/c) with full suits and helmets and sweat in their cars. Fun... lol.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
We run windows down. :)
I just got the tune for e85. I might try soon
First of all. The other guy is in europe where e85 is not common.
There are problems with e85 tho.
1. Mileage. On track mileage with gas is 5-6mpg. With e85 will be way less. So you need to bring many many cans of e85.
You can buy gas at the Track but not e85.
Even because most of the cars run on gas.
Here in Cali is not very common so is also logistically more difficult.
2. Fuel starvation. One of the problem the stamg has is cuel starvation in high speed left turns. In SONOMA RACEWAY i can't go less then half tank without starving at the carousel. Yes a better fuel pump will probably fix it but right now there is a risk to refuel every 15mins of track usage with the lower e85 mileage.
However..
That extra 20whp............are succulent :)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You would benefit from more airflow through the radiator. The lack of hood ventilation limits your cooling capability. Highly recommend this https://racelouvers.com/mustang-18-19-center-hood-louvers-rt-track-trim/
Also, too many people run fully open grille...limiting the effectiveness of the heat exchangers at track speeds.Getting the air out and focusing the air on the right parts (increasing mass flow) is how you effectively cool. Also, adding auxiliary coolers in front can definitely hurt main engine temp. Using the fog light area for aux oil & trans coolers ala GT350, GT500, 1LE etc is the right way to do it.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Also, too many people run fully open grille...limiting the effectiveness of the heat exchangers at track speeds.Getting the air out and focusing the air on the right parts (increasing mass flow) is how you effectively cool. Also, adding auxiliary coolers in front can definitely hurt main engine temp. Using the fog light area for aux oil & trans coolers ala GT350, GT500, 1LE etc is the right way to do it.
Only issue with the 18 is ..we don't have the optiom for auxiliary coolers on the side UNLESS cuttin the side part. (No fog light or side opening) .remember i was considering swapping the front bumper with the gt500 one?

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
So running in the height of Texas heat (120* track temps) I didn't have any issues with overheating during a 25 minute sessions at COTA. What I'm currently running:

Lund Flex-Fuel Tune (ran E85 at the track)
170* T-Stat (filled back up with distilled water instead of coolant during the swap)
Removed engine cover - Def. made a difference but still have hoodliner in.

So just these alone I noticed my temps stayed right around 200-210* most the whole session then dropped to 190* on the cool down. E85 is mostly responsible for the reduced temps so for sure take advantage if it's available. Prior to running E85 I was running 93-octane and noticed the temps to avg 195* (usually 180-185* depending on if moving or sitting at a stop light on E85).

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
So running in the height of Texas heat (120* track temps) I didn't have any issues with overheating during a 25 minute sessions at COTA. What I'm currently running:

170* T-Stat (filled back up with distilled water instead of coolant during the swap)

So just these alone I noticed my temps stayed right around 200-210* most the whole session then dropped to 190* on the cool down. E85 is mostly responsible for the reduced temps so for sure take advantage if it's available. Prior to running E85 I was running 93-octane and noticed the temps to avg 195* (usually 180-185* depending on if moving or sitting at a stop light on E85).
Curious... how often do you refuel? After each session? I wish we had e85 readily available at our tracks.

Sponsored

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
Curious... how often do you refuel? After each session? I wish we had e85 readily available at our tracks.
I can get through 3 sessions going down to empty - 1/4 tank. I've been bringing 2 - 5-gal containers to the track with me for 5 session days... Luckily it isn't too hard to find E85 in the Austin area so if need more would just leave the track to grab more and roll back in.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT

How did you like the power of the FF tune at the track on E85?
Sponsored