Sponsored

Will Trump take ANY blame for a tanked market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with you completely on our independent attitude. I had a Swedish friend tell me a while back that it is more natural to turn to the government in time of need than it is to turn to family--very odd from an American perspective. They went on to explain, however, that they trust the government and their control over it (not its control over them). They also explained that they pay such high taxes so they can get an immediate response when in need. To them, it's like hiring an agent to take care of certain functions.
I would prefer not to live this way. To me.gov is there to taker care of things that I cannot like keeping terrorists out of our country.
As for control and lock down, I disagree. The Second World War and Cold War led to considerably more sensitivities than we have. This is seen through everything from data protection laws, to rights against illegal search, etc. It's natural as Americans to think we are "freer" than anyone else in the world, but that definitely is not the case. Many of the protections, to us as Americans, are absolutely absurd, but they translate to individual rights.
By all means let me know if there is a mechanism for the fed gov to restrict movement in individual states without the cooperation of the state gov. Movement restriction recommendations were put into place but that did not seem to stop Spring Breakers.
What I will say from an American perspective is that in general (and this is VERY general), Europeans follow rules more than we do. They (generally) maintain that good living is attributable to good order.
American Motto: Live free or die!
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I would prefer not to live this way. To me.gov is there to taker care of things that I cannot like keeping terrorists out of our country.

By all means let me know if there is a mechanism for the fed gov to restrict movement in individual states without the cooperation of the state gov. Movement restriction recommendations were put into place but that did not seem to stop Spring Breakers.

American Motto: Live free or die!
As I said earlier, the discussion with our British friend was based on the difference between federal and centralized systems. The discussion on this thread does not involve differentiating, as previously stated, it's about organization and cooperation across national and local governments, as well as society:

The examples above are a mix of national and local responses and guidance. As you look across Europe, you can compare centralized systems to federal systems and see similar responses all the way to the local level. Switzerland is as federalized as you can get; Germany is federal as well, and Belgium constantly talks about splitting in two. Yet when you look at them, along with many others (NL, DK, PL, etc.), you find a useful set of best practices:
- Came out of COVID denial more quickly at local, state/regional and national levels than we did
- Developed and communicated plans more aggressively and effectively at all levels (national, state/regional, and local)
- Approached more cooperatively from the local through international level
This clip of Chancellor Merkel provides an example. Not endorsing her or Germany, but if you watch the whole thing, the difference in approach becomes clear. Again, can only speak to my personal experience.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-e...ope-estimates-next-quarters-unemployment-rate

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

Who knows if this 'calculation' will come true for the US but I strongly suspect that then US will need to do something similar to the UK, where our government has provided support to the workers and businesses. Hard to believe that a Tory government would do it, but they are paying all businesses to furlough their staff if there is no work and pay 80% of salary up to £2500 per month. There is a similar type of support for self employed people. This is a massive financial commitment at the same level as a wartime spend.

As the 'lockdown' is likely to continue in one form or another for many weeks or months this is a lifeline for everybody here.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-e...ope-estimates-next-quarters-unemployment-rate

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

Who knows if this 'calculation' will come true for the US but I strongly suspect that then US will need to do something similar to the UK, where our government has provided support to the workers and businesses. Hard to believe that a Tory government would do it, but they are paying all businesses to furlough their staff if there is no work and pay 80% of salary up to £2500 per month. There is a similar type of support for self employed people. This is a massive financial commitment at the same level as a wartime spend.

As the 'lockdown' is likely to continue in one form or another for many weeks or months this is a lifeline for everybody here.
Better late than never. now if we can get at that 5G thing...

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged

Tory's would be leftists in the US, lmao

Sponsored

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase

The US just passed a $2 trillion bailout for citizens and businesses.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
The US just passed a $2 trillion bailout for citizens and businesses.
The UK measures dwarf that per capita. A single payment of $1200 (+$500 per child) compared to as much as £2500 per month for employees in the UK, so up to £5000 per household (80% of normal salary up to £2500 each)

In theory nobody need lose their job because the state is paying their salary. This is massive.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The UK measures dwarf that per capita. A single payment of $1200 (+$500 per child) compared to as much as £2500 per month for employees in the UK, so up to £5000 per household (80% of normal salary up to £2500 each)

In theory nobody need lose their job because the state is paying their salary. This is massive.
Have you looked at all at the US approach? Do you wonder why you are an empire of 4 states rather than 50?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Have you looked at all at the US approach? Do you wonder why you are an empire of 4 states rather than 50?
Yes I have because that is why I quoted it.

Second part of your response the usual childish dig that you seem incapable of resisting

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yes I have because that is why I quoted it.

Second part of your response the usual childish dig that you seem incapable of resisting
By the way, did you calculate state and local funding? You know, that decentralized thing?

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
I am not saying anything, but I disagree with the way you treat people...even online.
No, no, you were going on about the US approach. Is that supposed to be more friendly banter?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.