FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
2nd and 3rd cylinder heads. It happened cruising at 30 mph at 2000 rpm trying to accelerate.
what gear was you in? auto or manual. sounds like lspi.

what oil did you use? I switched to amsoil signature because it claims 100% lspi protection, curious what you was running. full synthetic or blend?
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
62580792.jpg

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
LSPI destroys these engines.

Lots of info on it.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Can you floor 1st gear any low speed? I go 1-30 in first, 30-60 in 2nd. Rpms seems reasonable

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like a good amount.of blown engines were from flooring it at low speed in high gears.
Low speed pre ignition blows holes in the side of.The block.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
My car has the 3.31 rear end, so I always do the lower gear for higher speed, if I’m higher gear my car would lug.

Orcinus1967

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang 2.3L Ecoboost
Still haven't heard of an engine blowing from a Ford Performance tune.
Happy I went with that and a ungraded intercooler (Mishi). Seems if a car is being daily driven maybe they should just go with that tune?
However I agree with the buying a built motor from Tune+ (especially when he releases the budget built motor) vs a replacement form ford if you can swing the money.
Sorry to say my 2016 EB blew up with a FP tune at 61K. The car has a FP CAI, Mishimoto intercooler, and MagnaFlow Street exhaust, and a Mishimoto Catch can. All work was performed at a Ford dealer. Since it was a CPO car with 100K warranty, and its better for the dealer to do a long block vs short block replacement, my dealer pushed for a long block, a ford rep came and took a look, and I got a long block replacement. I had no data logs. Something came apart in cylinder 3. Ford and the dealership didn't want to discuss what they thought went wrong. The engine went boom under regular acceleration from a stop light, not a mile from the dealer where I had just told them about warning lights going off, and getting my oil changed. Having 46 days to investigate what happens with the 2.3 EB engine, I came across a lot of speculation as to what goes wrong with these. In discussions with the head of the service department at my local dealership, it was clear I knew more about these engines from poking around online than my service rep. He did tell me they would have to get a ford rep out to look at it, so I knew it was going to take awhile. I got a car to drive, for free, for 46 days. Back to my engine. The car is a former rental car, so no telling what people did to it in the 25k miles before I purchased it. I rode it hard but not abusively. Changed the oil, all that.
Before any of this happened I called Mountune because I am not far away from their shop. I asked him if he worked on 2.3's and he said no Only the 2.0. This in 2018. He gave no reason. My mechanic at the ford dealer said "leave it where it is" when I asked him about going further on the intake upgrades, like a bigger throttle body, or exhaust such as bigger downtubes. Since I am still under warranty, that made A LOT of sense. The tune was and is FP, work performed BY Ford. It still blew up. At issue are the scant cylinder walls in the EB, and (I am no mechanic, but I did stay at a wifi enabled Holiday Inn Express) and the ECU. Getting a batch of bad gas, or switching from 85 to 91 octane should have no bearing. The ECU is determining what to do for the proper air/fuel ratio at all times. If there is a knock, timing is "pulled". From my understanding, the engine is knocking all the time, you just don't hear it pre detonating. The computer adjusts for this. To me what that means is the engine is experiencing pre detonation all the time. The wear comes from regular use, and is cumulative. Hence the "I pulled onto the highway, and it blew up" or in my case, "I pulled away from the stop light, and it went boom". There were no holes in my block, but metal bits were found in cylinder 3, suggesting that a cylinder ring or maybe a pin came apart. I did find but now have no idea where I found this info, on a forum somewhere, that Chrysler had a 2.0 turbo engine with problems as well. Theirs was related to uneven heating of a cylinder. Maybe it didn't get oiled properly, timing problems, whatever the case, that uneven heating and cooling of a cylinder was enough to cause problems. I think Ford has a problem with the EB and they aren't talking. One reason WE here on a forum are talking about tunes creating a problem is that most folks aren't ON forums talking about their engine blowing . They just drive their cars stock, unmodified. no tune at all, and never visit a forum or post on one. Real tallys of EcoBoom cars and trucks would have to come from Ford. And they're not talking. Methinks they are avoiding a recall. To me it seems a pre detonation / timing problem, inherent in the Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) engine type. Compounded by thin cylinder walls. Compounded by people throwing on aftermarket bolt on options but not enhancing the internals with upgraded pistons, rings, connecting rods, and pins. Compounded by tuners taking off the safety stops and parameters Ford built into their tunes. I will try to find info on the Chrysler engine.
Cheers

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
I rode it hard but didnt abuse it is what they all say after they blow it up....

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I rode it hard but didnt abuse it is what they all say after they blow it up....
And this is obviously a potential source of many future headaches..."The car is a former rental car, so no telling what people did to it in the 25k miles before I purchased it."

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I will be a prime test. Got the car with 10 miles. Tuned at 3k miles, put 20k last summer, running full synthetic since I got it, had ford change oil day I picked up ro full synthetic, I just switched to amsoil full syn sigbature series w amsoil filter

I don’t baby it.

Deleted member

These motors can blow on stock tune, FP tune, a OTS tune or a pro tune. It doesn't matter, you're no more safe with the FP tune over any other.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I’m saying. I will record if my engine blows or not, since I’m the only owner, everything’s been done and such. Not abused by another owner and it was done almost as soon as it was gotten.

Reactions: S7N

Deleted member

I’m saying. I will record if my engine blows or not, since I’m the only owner, everything’s been done and such. Not abused by another owner and it was done almost as soon as it was gotten.
Wasn't speaking to you directly, just meant it in general to anyone who reads this.

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
It really seems like there is something going wrong with cylinder 3 as every time I read about this, its always cyl 3 involved lol
Sponsored