Sponsored

15 GT Manual vs C7 Manual

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Thanks for that. If you are familiar with the Z06 and the Roush Phase 2, then I'm sure you know that I was talking about at the flywheel. I said absolutely nothing about a dyno, as that has nothing to do with the conversation and I do agree with what you say about dyno numbers. I also know how drive train loss works, but again that was not what the conversation is about. You seem to have taken offense to my statement about the C7. I own both the C7 Z06 and the Roushchargered Phase 2 Stang, so I was comparing apples to apples with my two cars. OP wants his Mustang to keep up with a C7 Corvette, so I would say that my perspective would be right on. I know how much my C7 and my Mustang both weighs and would not expect a much heavier car to beat a much lighter car unless there are significant mods made to the heavier car.

For some reason, in my email I can read that you had a follow-up to this post, but if doesn't show up here. I completely agree with what you wrote. Remember, I am not the OP (person asking the question). You are replying as though it was me asking the question as to how to keep up with a C7 Corvette. Again, we are in agreement :)

Depends on where the 650 is being made -- flywheel or tire on the Z06 first off. Most Zop6 C7's are RATEd at 639 FLYWHEEL. If your friend is claiming 650 and its at the tire he is CLEARLY modified and not stock. Also depends on how conservative the dyno number was or if he is sand bagging. Here again dyno numbers are not proof of what a car will do. They are designed to show before after and give a person an idea what the car MAY be capable of. Roush tunes on their packages are EXTEREMELY protective and conservative. Your "750" package is a flywheel best number made on an engine dyno when it was designed at Roush. There is at minimum a 15% loss between FW and tire. So on a stick shift car 750 equates to 630 tops and likely lower through a 10R80. And if protection strategies are in play -- as they always are in Roush tunes -- that number is not representative of how the car is actually performing at WOT in a "spirited" driving scenario. The C7 also weighs 3500 pounds compared to your 3900+ pound S550. 400 pounds is a large difference.
Sponsored

Last edited:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I think I did a decent job answering your question. You didn't state a budget, so hard to make any more recommendations.

I've stated the purpose. To "Keep Up".

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Lol. Lethal or Mac cat delete pipes, 47 lb injectors, 18 manifold, Lund E85 tune, pull some weight out, and pull your air filter. If you can powershift it that will let you hang to 115 ish. Then he will pull away. $1300-1400.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Thanks for that. If you are familiar with the Z06 and the Roush Phase 2, then I'm sure you know that I was talking about at the flywheel. I said absolutely nothing about a dyno, as that has nothing to do with the conversation and I do agree with what you say about dyno numbers. I also know how drive train loss works, but again that was not what the conversation is about. You seem to have taken offense to my statement about the C7. I own both the C7 Z06 and the Roushchargered Phase 2 Stang, so I was comparing apples to apples with my two cars. OP wants his Mustang to keep up with a C7 Corvette, so I would say that my perspective would be right on. I know how much my C7 and my Mustang both weighs and would not expect a much heavier car to beat a much lighter car unless there are significant mods made to the heavier car.

For some reason, in my email I can read that you had a follow-up to this post, but if doesn't show up here. I completely agree with what you wrote. Remember, I am not the OP (person asking the question). You are replying as though it was me asking the question as to how to keep up with a C7 Corvette. Again, we are in agreement :)
I was not aware you were referring to flywheel on the Z06 because you said 650 and not 639.

I'm not the least bit offended. The last thing I will do is defend a Corvette nor am I a Roush fanatic. What I was driving at is that often many people think that a Roush turnkey package (or worse a Roush Mustang) is somehow the best thing since sliced bread...and they are not. My point was that your compare is not a good compare. Put a real kit on your car like the VMP or a Whipple OR get your current kit properly tuned and you would be eating your earlier statement. The ONLY reason my current S550 has a Roush on it (tuned by Lund btw) and not a VMP or Whipple setup is because it came that way with 3000 miles on it and the price was too good to turn down. Properly tuned a Roush package will run down a stock of lightly modded Corvette C7 Z06. I've done it with the current car and I've done it with the prior 2014 that made much less. But a Roush package won't keep up with a 3500 pound car making 639 FWHP with their (Roush's) tune. Too many nanny strategies going on in the tune that kill the performance of the package when you go to jump in the throttle. I've already learned that.

I'd confidently run down your stock Z06 with my 'whimpy' little Lund tuned Roush 2300 setup on 93 pump gas (I really hate saying it has a Roush on it) from the dig or roll. You wouldn't be the first.

Putting a properly tuned Roush setup or going with a better kit like the Whipple or VMP will get the job done on any C7 stock and even many that have light to medium mods on them short of an FI setup. OP - by going the full monty so to speak and doing an FI setup the chances of the C7 owner investing into FI as well to catcj back up won't be as likely. Don't let the Roush story compare by m3incorp fool you. As I mentioned a properly tuned Roush setup, VMP setup, or Whipple setup will do the trick. For a similar price you can go with a Paxton NOVI setup and perform admirably as well again with proper tuning through Lund or PBD as examples of reputable tuners.

If you have 10K+ just go turbo and leave us ALL sitting in the dust.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Big boast you have there. C7 Z06 is 650 hp at the flywheel. Again, you are not comprehending that I am not the OP. You even mention m3incorp in your response and guess who I am....get off those drugs. Also, I wasn't saying either car was any better than the other. I'm guessing you hang out on that Roush thread where there is nothing but bickering back and forth.

I love people that brag on the internet. How could you possibly know if you could outrun my Z06 since you have no idea if it is modified or not? You really should go back and read through the whole thread....somehow you turned this into the Z06 thread which it is not. Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. You jump in to argue when there is no argument. Why do you keep making recommendations to me, when I am not the OP......do you not understand...dang.

Slow down take a deep breath and you will see that you keep responding to the wrong person.

I was not aware you were referring to flywheel on the Z06 because you said 650 and not 639.

I'm not the least bit offended. The last thing I will do is defend a Corvette nor am I a Roush fanatic. What I was driving at is that often many people think that a Roush turnkey package (or worse a Roush Mustang) is somehow the best thing since sliced bread...and they are not. My point was that your compare is not a good compare. Put a real kit on your car like the VMP or a Whipple OR get your current kit properly tuned and you would be eating your earlier statement. The ONLY reason my current S550 has a Roush on it (tuned by Lund btw) and not a VMP or Whipple setup is because it came that way with 3000 miles on it and the price was too good to turn down. Properly tuned a Roush package will run down a stock of lightly modded Corvette C7 Z06. I've done it with the current car and I've done it with the prior 2014 that made much less. But a Roush package won't keep up with a 3500 pound car making 639 FWHP with their (Roush's) tune. Too many nanny strategies going on in the tune that kill the performance of the package when you go to jump in the throttle. I've already learned that.

I'd confidently run down your stock Z06 with my 'whimpy' little Lund tuned Roush 2300 setup on 93 pump gas (I really hate saying it has a Roush on it) from the dig or roll. You wouldn't be the first.

Putting a properly tuned Roush setup or going with a better kit like the Whipple or VMP will get the job done on any C7 stock and even many that have light to medium mods on them short of an FI setup. OP - by going the full monty so to speak and doing an FI setup the chances of the C7 owner investing into FI as well to catcj back up won't be as likely. Don't let the Roush story compare by m3incorp fool you. As I mentioned a properly tuned Roush setup, VMP setup, or Whipple setup will do the trick. For a similar price you can go with a Paxton NOVI setup and perform admirably as well again with proper tuning through Lund or PBD as examples of reputable tuners.

If you have 10K+ just go turbo and leave us ALL sitting in the dust.

Sponsored

Sins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 PP
Mods in sig and I had no problem hanging with a regular c7 while on 93. Just cant be granny shifting and rolling around with 100lbs of gas in the tank either though.

OP
OP
Syphon5.0

Syphon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary
Mods in sig and I had no problem hanging with a regular c7 while on 93. Just cant be granny shifting and rolling around with 100lbs of gas in the tank either though.
So kinda of what I figured. Intake/Exhaust/Intake Mani/93 Tune. E85 would certainly help but unfort theres no E85 within 90 miles of me.

Last edited:

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
So kinda of what I figured. Intake/Exhaust/Intake Mani/93 Tune. E85 would certainly help but unfort theres no E85 within 90 miles of me.
You will need to out power him, dont waste your time with catbacks they dont add power, headers and o/r X pipe, ported 18 manifold and intake, get a 93 tune by a good tuner, if he is stock he should be around 400-415whp, i think on 93 you will be around 425whp if you can out drive him you will win by a short margin and will have a lot of fun.

OP
OP
Syphon5.0

Syphon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary
You will need to out power him, dont waste your time with catbacks they dont add power, headers and o/r X pipe, ported 18 manifold and intake, get a 93 tune by a good tuner, if he is stock he should be around 400-415whp, i think on 93 you will be around 425whp if you can out drive him you will win by a short margin and will have a lot of fun.
Yeah I got a JLT CAI/Cat Back exhuast and just got tuned by Lund. Def feel the benefits of those 3 things. Im prob at 410-415WHP now. So headers/intake mani I should be good with. And E85 if it ever comes around here would but me way over the top.. prob around 450whp.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Depends. Who's the better driver & better at launching the car. I beat a Z06 supercharged vette twice on mexico avenue. Certainly doesn't mean I'm faster at the track than it.
he should lose his man card. twice

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I got a JLT CAI/Cat Back exhuast and just got tuned by Lund. Def feel the benefits of those 3 things. Im prob at 410-415WHP now. So headers/intake mani I should be good with. And E85 if it ever comes around here would but me way over the top.. prob around 450whp.
Ask them to do a 100 octane tune with boostane or race gas.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I've had many Accords, Malibus, Focus and Fiestas beat me in "their" race.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I can't beat my Z06 with my Mustang :) but I am going to keep trying.
Sponsored