Bad news from DMV

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - I’ve mentioned in other posts that I remove the plates for the winter months here in western NY because it bugs me to fork out around $400 when I can’t drive the car, which is only used as a seasonal vehicle. Well, I’m suffering the consequences of that decision now. I was getting concerned about the ballooning effect of the Corona virus so I called my insurance company today and got my insurance cards emailed to me so I could re-register the Bullitt this afternoon, albeit a bit earlier than the usual early April. I checked the DMV website to make sure they weren’t closing early and read the announcement that they were shut down until Monday at which time they would reassess things. It ain’t going to be better Monday folks! They mentioned on-line scheduling of appointments for the future, but that wasn’t functioning either. So, I may be up the creek w/o a paddle, so to say, for God only knows how long. The experts say this pandemic won’t peak in this country until around 45 days from now. We have to live with the consequences of our decisions, but things could be worse given what happening... Bruce
Sponsored

Last edited:

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Yikes sorry about that luck! I just had to register a different vehicle in sc yesterday luckily they were open. I understand this virus is an issue but I don’t seem to remember it being this crazy when all those other ones were going around in recent years. The swine or whatever it was.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Put the plates on it, make sure your insurance is in place and drive it.
If you get pulled over, explain the issue and I'd bet 90% you'll be fine under these circumstances, and even if they write you for expired registration they'll throw it out because of inability to execute if it even got that far.

OP
OP
OldPhart

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Put the plates on it, make sure your insurance is in place and drive it.
If you get pulled over, explain the issue and I'd bet 90% you'll be fine under these circumstances, and even if they write you for expired registration they'll throw it out because of inability to execute if it even got that far.
Hi - While my current personalized plates “LAST TOY” are stored at the closed DMV office, I still happen to have the originally issued plates “JGJ9606” from when I purchased the car new last April. I just noticed earlier this week that both plate numbers appear on my registration which has an April 2021 expiration date. Since I have the new insurance ID cards I put those original plates on the Bullitt and I’ve been driving the mean and green fun machine for the past 5 days. A local police officer said the same thing as IPOGT. With everything closed up around here and gas cheaper now, being able to have some driving enjoyment is helping ease the boredom of this shut down world. I appreciate the concern and suggestion... Bruce

P.S. I’m sure when I renew the registration next year the JGJ plate number will be gone, but for now it was a nice coincidence.

BF8F1BED-C917-4BCF-B406-9B6C84EBEEA4.jpeg

Sponsored

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Yes, same here in Pennsylvania. PennDOT closed through 4/11. I am driving mine. Keep transferred plate documents sale paperwork in car when I drive with active insurance. Car was transferred up from North Carolina so have current NC inspection and title as well.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Cop would have to be a huge douche to write a ticket for something like that.

Also be sure to have a coughing fit as he walks to window. Willing to bet he just turns around.
I'm sure you were joking about that, because it may get you arrested.

ravenofpoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
At least it turned out ok for you. Cheers to that. I had a cross country road trip planned for the end of this month. You can guess what to that. Oh well maybe next year.
Sponsored