Sponsored

Mild exhaust (MF Street) upgrade worth it?

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium (Lightning Blue)
Walt, if you have any questions that we can answer, please don't hesitate to shoot over a PM or call us toll-free at 1-800-990-0905! We can say that our streetback is a popular choice for EB cars, but if its worth the price really depends on what you are looking for and how much you care about it. If you are looking for an exhaust solution with a lifetime warranty that can be installed yourself, improve sound, flow & power and meet the restrictions of your local laws/racetracks, then it would probably be worthwhile. If you didn't care as much about that and just wanted a little more sound, then a muffler upgrade would probably be a cheaper route. :like:
Hi,

Can the magnaflow street fit the convertible 2018 without any custom mod on it?
I saw many people mention it doesnt fit right unless theres some modification made on the brace.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I just put the MF Street on my car a couple weeks ago. Haven't been able to drive it a ton with the weather, but I'm happy with the tone so far. Much deeper at startup, but nice on the road. Didn't want anything too loud. Before this, I tried a Ford Performance X-pipe (too raspy for me), then switched to an MRP H-pipe, but still wanted a bit more sound. Happy now! Found a used one, so I got it for half price of new. Funny though, the guy I bought it from took it off the car after a week, as he found it too loud for him. I understand your hesitation. So many different opinions...
Thanks for your input, but I see on your profile that you have a GT, and since you mentioned an X and H pipe, I assume you still have the GT correct? This post has been made in the Ecoboost section so I mainly want to know about how the exhaust sounds on the 2.3T engines. On the GT, about every exhaust I've heard so far sounds good lol.

jeffrt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium - Magnetic
Thanks for your input, but I see on your profile that you have a GT, and since you mentioned an X and H pipe, I assume you still have the GT correct? This post has been made in the Ecoboost section so I mainly want to know about how the exhaust sounds on the 2.3T engines. On the GT, about every exhaust I've heard so far sounds good lol.
Sorry about that. Clicked in from my Weekly Topic email, and didn’t even notice that. Good luck with the search! Deleted my post.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Sorry about that. Clicked in from my Weekly Topic email, and didn’t even notice that. Good luck with the search! Deleted my post.
No worries mate, I appreciate your effort to give your input regardless.

TunedN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jet
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3L, 2013 Ford Focus SEL, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
I have the MF Street. Love it. Had compliments like, "that sounds like a real sports car, not one of those stupid Hondas with a race muffler". There's zero performance gains [over the street versions] from race mufflers on these cars other than decibel level. That being said, there's basically zero performance gains over the factory exhaust from the street catbacks either. The downpipe is your choke point. Everything else is weight or noise preference.

Sponsored

TunedN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jet
Vehicle(s)
Heard it on youtube, sounds pretty sweet. But it's only available as an axle back right? My only option is a catback since I can't legally modify the exhaust system. I have to be able to swap back to stock for inspections.
You can swap an axle-back to stock again faster than a catback AND use up less space in storage. Again, no gain unless you just want to spend money for extra noise.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
15E274CF-6B9E-46F4-A05A-53F01BC0D1FE.jpeg
Picture is inside a stock muffler.....any straight through muffler would improve sound and power. Pic is from another forum.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
You can swap an axle-back to stock again faster than a catback AND use up less space in storage. Again, no gain unless you just want to spend money for extra noise.
But how would you reattach the stock muffler without welding? It doesn't slide over the pipe like the modded mufflers do, so clamping force won't be great.

I have the MF Street. Love it. Had compliments like, "that sounds like a real sports car, not one of those stupid Hondas with a race muffler". There's zero performance gains [over the street versions] from race mufflers on these cars other than decibel level. That being said, there's basically zero performance gains over the factory exhaust from the street catbacks either. The downpipe is your choke point. Everything else is weight or noise preference.
How loud would you rate the MF street on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the loudest?

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
Hi,

Can the magnaflow street fit the convertible 2018 without any custom mod on it?
I saw many people mention it doesnt fit right unless theres some modification made on the brace.
Yes, our catback systems fit both the coupe and convertible without any custom modifications. You can find our install instructions with pictures at the link below if you are interested! Please don't hesitate to DM or call us at 1-800-990-0905 if you have any other questions we can answer!

https://mfcdnstorage.blob.core.windows.net/installsheets/19097.pdf

TunedN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jet
Vehicle(s)
But how would you reattach the stock muffler without welding? It doesn't slide over the pipe like the modded mufflers do, so clamping force won't be great.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Axle-back systems definitely slide on and clamp without welding, even easier than cat-back systems.
https://www.magnaflow.com/products/...back-performance-exhaust-system?aces=11018087

I'm working on my downpipe upgrade now, so I have to put my factory one back on after I finish measurements. I'll try and get some dB readings at idle and 5k RPMs. Scale of 1-10 is fairly subjective, so let me try and get real measurable data. Basically, I'd verify what's on the MF website; mild sound in cabin [with windows up], and moderate sound outside.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Axle-back systems definitely slide on and clamp without welding, even easier than cat-back systems.
https://www.magnaflow.com/products/...back-performance-exhaust-system?aces=11018087

I'm working on my downpipe upgrade now, so I have to put my factory one back on after I finish measurements. I'll try and get some dB readings at idle and 5k RPMs. Scale of 1-10 is fairly subjective, so let me try and get real measurable data. Basically, I'd verify what's on the MF website; mild sound in cabin [with windows up], and moderate sound outside.
I would love to hear those dB measurements, that's my main concern since I track my car and they have limits.

On the s550 we have a one piece exhaust, so to install an axle back, you need to cut. That's why asked I how you would get the stock mufflers back on since there is no overlapping tubing to get a strong clamp on. You'll probably have to weld it back on right?

TunedN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jet
Vehicle(s)
I would love to hear those dB measurements, that's my main concern since I track my car and they have limits.

On the s550 we have a one piece exhaust, so to install an axle back, you need to cut. That's why asked I how you would get the stock mufflers back on since there is no overlapping tubing to get a strong clamp on. You'll probably have to weld it back on right?
My bad. Looks like you do need to cut them. Here is how you quickly and easily re-install the factory system:
2.5" butt joint exhaust clamps:
https://www.ebay.com/p/5012067538?iid=283359594589

Magnaflow only offers the street version in catback, so I can't give you dB numbers for their axle-back. Is there a certain distance from the tailpipe or location where your judges will measure dB so I can give you a more accurate reference?

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
My bad. Looks like you do need to cut them. Here is how you quickly and easily re-install the factory system:
2.5" butt joint exhaust clamps:
https://www.ebay.com/p/5012067538?iid=283359594589

Magnaflow only offers the street version in catback, so I can't give you dB numbers for their axle-back. Is there a certain distance from the tailpipe or location where your judges will measure dB so I can give you a more accurate reference?
I'm only really interested in the catback version anyway, since I want to delete the resonator as well and the installation is just easier.

For the measurements, the track measures at a 45 degree angle from your tailpipes, with a distance of 1 meter or +- 3 feet from the back. I think it's fine to just measure 1 pipe, but because our stang has dual exhaust tips you might try and measure it in the middle of the car too to see if it's any louder?

The maximum at most tracks is 95 dB at about 70% of the engine's rev range stationary. Drive by is 95dB max at any range. One at idle and one at the loudest point you've recorded is fine by me.

Thanks a lot though for the measurements, I've been looking for dB numbers for a long time.
Sponsored