Bad A/C compressor?

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Well, I think my A/C compressor is bad, but I want to be 100 percent sure it's that and not something else before I buy one. I've been trying to read and it looks like the evaporator behind the dash sucks too, and could possibly be leaking and maybe caused the compressor to fail? Is there an easy way to check? The car would make a strange sound, almost like a whining sound when the A/C was on and would go away when I turned it off. I assume that if it's just the compressor that failed, there would still be refrigerant/pressure in the system, or when the compressor dies, it leaks too? I don't know much about air conditioning systems. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
Very good chance it’s the evaporator behind the dash. My 2015 had that issue fixed under warranty.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Very good chance it’s the evaporator behind the dash. My 2015 had that issue fixed under warranty.
Same here, except mine was a 2016, happened at about 28,000 miles.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Most automotive ac systems have a fail safe to prevent the compressor from running when the refrigerant volume drops too low. So if your evap has leaked down the compressor clutch should not engage. To answer the question about if the compressor can leak the answer is yes it can depending on how it fails. Also, it should be noted, that the compressor can fail in such a way as to require replacement of most of the other ac components.
If you don't know about working on auto ac systems you might want to take it to someone who does. Their basic function is not that complicated and replacing most of the components not too difficult, the evaporator being the exception, but getting it back up and running does require some specialized tools. I'm not sure what refrigerant these cars use so I don't so I don't know if just anyone can buy it. Some of the refrigerants require licenses to buy.

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Best to take it to a dealer to have it checked. My previous Mustang (2015 EB) was pumping out no cold air. It was the evaporator that was bad. Fortunately I had a good dealer as it takes two days to repair as they have to remove the dash to get to the evaporator. They gave me a dealer loaner to use while they did the work and fortunately I was still under warranty. This is a well known issue and you might be able to negotiate what it costs you if your Mustang is no longer under warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Most automotive ac systems have a fail safe to prevent the compressor from running when the refrigerant volume drops too low. So if your evap has leaked down the compressor clutch should not engage. To answer the question about if the compressor can leak the answer is yes it can depending on how it fails. Also, it should be noted, that the compressor can fail in such a way as to require replacement of most of the other ac components.
If you don't know about working on auto ac systems you might want to take it to someone who does. Their basic function is not that complicated and replacing most of the components not too difficult, the evaporator being the exception, but getting it back up and running does require some specialized tools. I'm not sure what refrigerant these cars use so I don't so I don't know if just anyone can buy it. Some of the refrigerants require licenses to buy.
Well, looks like I'll take it somewhere to have it checked out. I'm just hoping it's the compressor and not the evaporator. I had something fall off a truck back in October and it fucked up my bumper and some other stuff that had to be replaced. I'm hoping it's the compressor or condenser. I feel like most of the people who had issues with the evaporator where experiencing them earlier than 54k miles. Who knows though. All I can say is I have a 2001 tundra that is still pumping out ice cold air. Not sure why Ford can't figure it out, but I guess they've only been building cars for 100+ years.

OP
OP

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
like an electrical buzz noise? mine is doing that too... sometimes... is annoying as fuck
No, more of a supercharger sounding whine, but not as loud. Makes my Centri car sound like a PD. lol.

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
Please post the solution. Mine is doing exactly the same - supercharger type whine. It was doing it for a while but stopped a couple of weeks ago. I have had to recharge my A/C every season the last couple of years, so probably evap is shot and of course I am way out of warranty.

OP
OP

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Please post the solution. Mine is doing exactly the same - supercharger type whine. It was doing it for a while but stopped a couple of weeks ago. I have had to recharge my A/C every season the last couple of years, so probably evap is shot and of course I am way out of warranty.
I will, however I'm not sure when I'm gonna be able to, as I am out of warranty as well and I'm not sure this is a job that I can tackle by myself or with some buddies in a garage. I have never taken the dash out of a car and this seems like a pretty costly job at a shop. I bought the car this last June and the A/C worked great, so idk. Maybe it's a small leak and I can get it recharged and keep me comfortable for another season. Question though, have you ever noticed any small water droplets get blow out from around the back of the dash? The last time I used the AC on a longer road trip, I noticed this and thought it was strange. They were super small droplets of water and sporadic.
Sponsored